Was there a "special talk" on Sunday July 23rd?

by Brymichmom 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

A friend of mine is married to a JW. Not by choice, but her husband became JW just a couple years ago. However, he has been quite mean to her since he became JW and bullies her around. He's always saying that there is some "special" talk at the KH and that he MUST take the children. Of course, she's upset with him all the time now and doesn't want her children at the KH. She's thinking of getting a divorce, because he treats her so badly. Anway, she wants to know what the big deal about this "special talk" was all about. Anybody know, or was he just bluffing?

• Arthur
    Arthur

I have never heard of such a talk, and none of my JW family has mentioned it either.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

where is the love?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'd say he's operating out of fear (death at Armageddon) and an overdose of "submit-to-me-woman". There's "Special Talks" all the time, but they are never anything special.

Can she attend the KH when her children go? (But not every week, for sanity and to keep the pioneers at bay.)

Can she get a copy of the "Secret to Family Happiness Book"? At least then she would have some ammunition, and he should NOT go ballistic if she asks for it.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

maybe the special talk was about WWIII, I just spoke to my JW mom and she said that its going to start this year and if I heard about it, I figured that she was just scanning the News again, but this time it was different, I think the JW's got her worried.

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

I'm sure she would want to get a hold of that book. I've never seen this book myself, and I'd like to see it. Is it a new book?

Also, he carries around in his NWT copies of some various "Questions from Readers" from different Watchtowers. One is the 8/15/02 WT , and the question is:

"What

guidance do the Scriptures provide about child training when one parent is one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and the other is not?

Two key Scriptural principles provide guidance about child training for a Witness parent who has a non-Witness mate. One is: "We must obey God as ruler rather than men." (Acts 5:29) The other is: "A husband is head of his wife as the Christ also is head of the congregation." (Ephesians 5:23) The latter applies not only to wives with Witness husbands but also to those with non-Witness mates. (1 Peter 3:1) How can a Witness parent balance these principles when teaching his or her children?

If the husband is one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, he is responsible for making both spiritual and physical provisions for his family. (1 Timothy 5:8) Although the unbelieving mother may spend more time with their children, the Witness father should teach his children by giving spiritual training at home and by taking them to Christian meetings, where they will benefit from moral instruction and wholesome association."

Anyway, she was very angry when she found that because he's been treating her very badly and throws a tantrum when she takes the kids to her church (Methodist) for Sunday School. And he's definitely operating out of fear and he's angry with her because he can't control her or force her and their children to become JW.

• blondie
    blondie

No...........

Possible "special talks"

1) The traditional one after the memorial each year

2) The CO visit (he gives a talk on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday)(twice a year)

3) The circuit assembly (2 days once a year), special assembly day (1 day once a year)

4) The district convention (3 days once a year)

5) Occasional: Talk when new KH built, talk by visiting Bethelite (previous member of congregation or relative of current member), WTS has special talk for certain congregations (e.g., 2000 Annual Meeting)

Otherwise her husband is full of it.

Blondie

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

Well Blondie, I'm sure her husband is "full of it". All he does is try to control and manipulate her. He's learned very well from the meetings at the KH!

• jgnat
    jgnat
    I'm sure she would want to get a hold of that book. I've never seen this book myself, and I'd like to see it. Is it a new book?

This publication has been around for a while. The catch is that it is printed privately through the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society and you have to order it through them. IF YOU DO ASK FOR IT, likely elders will show up at your door to offer you a "Free Home Bible Study." Your friend is going to have to ask for it vicariously through her HUSBAND. But he should not protest.

OR, if you really want to see for yourself, most current publications are available on e-bay. The Secret to Family Happiness is for sale on e-bay right now, Item 220010064306. If you copy this number in to the e-bay search screen, the item will come up.

• Scully
    Scully

The Secret of Family Happiness was published in 1996. It replaces the 1978 version Making Your Family Life Happy.

They are both on the 2001 version of the WT CD ROM that I have. It's a little tricky accessing the older publication, but it can be done. This is a book that her husband likely has in his possession already, and certainly one that he wouldn't object to her reading.

I don't like that he's become mean to her since becoming a JW. That tells me that there is something about the JW power structure that is appealing to him, and the belief system basically gives him permission to behave in a domineering manner, when before becoming a JW it was not socially acceptable or politically incorrect. The JW belief system may have uncovered and enabled the development of an emotionally and verbally abusive trait.

Bottom line, she can require "equal time" to educate the children in her own belief system. There is no court in the land that would deny a mother her right to share her belief system with her children, when the father has a different belief system. He does not get to change the rules mid-stream and insist on raising the children as JWs just because HIS beliefs changed and hers didn't. I'd definitely insist on "equal time", at the very least.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit