Panhandlers piss me off!

by Nosferatu 62 Replies latest jw friends

• delilah
    delilah

Scully, do you remember last year, or two, there was a story in Toronto Sun, about a woman who panhandled every day downtown? Then someone spied her, parking her BMW a few blocks away...and they ratted her out. Turns out, she and hubby live in Hamilton, I think it was, and although he had a legit job, she was making loads of mony, by begging.

I was really annoyed by this....I don't give my change to anyone who is begging on the streets anymore...I get sick and tired of the teens, who do not need to be on the streets,who could be working, and charities begging for my hard earned money in the doorways of every store I go into.( It's bad enough they come knocking on my door...and I will give to one or two charities), but It's ridiculous....I just use my bank debit card, and therefore I do not have change on me....

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I like the Wharf area and Pier 39 in San Francisco. You are encouraged to NOT donate to the panhandlers. They have big metal donation boxes (one is shaped like a dolphin .. looks like a statue) and you are asked to put your donations in the designated boxes. All monies go to Food Banks and Shelters. The homeless people should go there to get their handouts.

Now that's a good idea!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Although, I know, it must be tough to have to stand in a long line and get there by a certain time to get the handout

My personal opinion on this: SO WHAT? It's tough to stand in line to feed yourself? Yeah, and it's tough to stand in line at the grocery store. I was once in that line of people in need, getting food from Winnipeg Harvest for a VERY brief time. I never had to panhandle.

I donate to the Salvation Army and Winnipeg Harvest. I don't donate to panhandlers.

The WORST experience I ever had with these guys was back when I didn't own a vehicle and I smoked. I was waiting for a bus and this homeless guy comes up to me and asks, "You got an extra smoke?" I said no. "Well, can I have a drag?" WHAT??? Let him put his slimy lips on my cigarette? Forget it! I told him, "When my bus comes, you can have the rest of it." So, I stood waiting for my bus, smoking my cigarette. He started getting impatient. "Come on, man!" I smoked that bastard right down to the filter and gave it to him. "Fvvvin' cheap" he muttered and walked away with the burning filter.

I'm sorry, but when times got hard for me when I had one job, I went and got a second job. I worked my ass off to keep myself sheltered and fed. If I can do it, so can these guys.

I personally like Sam Kinison's solution...... Execution :)

• Satanus
    Satanus

The problem w many of these people is that they have addictions and emotional problems. Their attempts at selfmedication cost money, and their need for money is endless. They don't live for food or comfort, they live for their next puff or drink. Whether they get a dollar or a thousand dollars, a few hours or days later, they will be just as needy as when you first saw them. You can't help them.

S

Ps, nos, no need to get pissed of, just quietly say fuckoff, and walk away. Let it out, as they say. Go ahead, you will feel better.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I used to live in a heavy mexican neighborhood, when I used to got get something to eat at this taco place there were always guys outside asking for money, I told them in perfect Spanish, Sorry I only speak German, then walked in, and it worked they said sorry and let me go in. Sometimes I'd use Russian, or Polish, depending on my mood. HA HA HA, now if any of them ever answered me back in German Russian or Polish, then I'd go ahead and give them the money, still has not happend yet. :-)

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

"xjw

Going to that gas station so the guy can get some money by washing your windows, is very kind of you.

Warlock
    One other thing. The guy "lives" in the area. I have see him at the grocery store quite often, and never once have I seen him buying booze. That is the reason why I "patronize" his business."

Never hate an honest hustle.

Hate bums.

• Scully
    Scully

Delilah:

Scully, do you remember last year, or two, there was a story in Toronto Sun, about a woman who panhandled every day downtown? Then someone spied her, parking her BMW a few blocks away...and they ratted her out. Turns out, she and hubby live in Hamilton, I think it was, and although he had a legit job, she was making loads of mony, by begging.

News of this incident reached us here in the eastern part of the province. I can't even begin to imagine how someone could do something like that. If her husband wasn't aware of what she was doing, he must have been mortified when she was found out.

I was really annoyed by this....I don't give my change to anyone who is begging on the streets anymore...I get sick and tired of the teens, who do not need to be on the streets,who could be working, and charities begging for my hard earned money in the doorways of every store I go into.( It's bad enough they come knocking on my door...and I will give to one or two charities), but It's ridiculous....I just use my bank debit card, and therefore I do not have change on me....

That's my strategy too: my change is for steeped tea at Timmy's. Panhandlers are ignored. The miserable and aggressive ones are told to f.... off.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

There's one area of the city that I don't mind the panhandlers. They're usually teenagers, but they'll actually have a conversation with you instead of solely looking for money. I normally don't give to them, but sometimes I have good conversations with them.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I don't give to teen panhandlers at all myself. And it's a once in a blue moon thing anyways

Here's one; when u see one about to hit u up for dough, head em off at the pass. Ask THEM for change. The look on their face is priceless.

LMAO

• Scully
    Scully

There's another crowd that irks me too. They are waiting at the traffic lights and holding up signs like "PLEASE HELP - NEED CASH" looking for a handout from people who are driving their cars near the hospital where I work. Usually they hang out there for an hour before and after change of shift, looking to get a handout from nurses. I left after a meeting one evening and saw one of them finishing up his "work" for the evening. Walked over to a brand new car parked by the overpass and hopped in and drove away.

I wish I could have caught it all on video and sent it to the TV station to do an exposé on these people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit