Explaination?...

by Justice-One 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Could someone please explain to me how an organization can be "spirit directed" but at the same time NOT be inspired? Sounds rather Orwellian to me.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

In theory, why could it not be like that.....

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

YOU CAN'T!!! It is a way to have complete authority and control, yet a way to excuse their false prophecys and or false way of thinking. It excuses change, but gives them the authority to change any time they desire.

Sincerely,

Lady LIberty

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

One of the definitions of "inspired" is - "an uncovering or disclosure of something hidden via communication from the divine." So again, how can you not be inspired, and at the same time be "spirit directed?"

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    YOU CAN'T!!! It is a way to have complete authority and control, yet a way to excuse their false prophecys and or false way of thinking. It excuses change, but gives them the authority to change any time they desire.

Exactly! And it just drove me nuts at convention to see this just go right over all the heads.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

it can be spirit directed in the way elders are appointed and some other dessisions are made, but not inspired by the way that what they say would be unfailable true, no inspired words....

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Sure theyre "spirit" directed...by Johnny Walker Red! As for not being inspired...I cant think of a group that is less inspiring than this one is. :)

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

DannyBloem,

The reason it cannot be like that is because "inspired" means "affected, guided, motivated, or directed".

"Spirit-directed" = "guided by holy spirit" = "moved (motivated) by holy spirit" = "affected by holy spirit" = "inspired by holy spirit".

One of the traits of a high-control religion is to develop special meanings for words that are only understood in this special way within the group. It is a sectarianistic tactic designed to separate individuals from other people. The meaning of the word "inspired" doesn't change just because someone becomes a JW.

inspired by the way that what they say would be unfailable true

Who said "inspired" equals "infallibility"? These are NOT synonymous words. They aren't antonyms, but they are certainly not synonyms.

I have noticed that many JWs try to avoid the reality of the word "inspired" and I think it may be because of 1 John 4:1:

1 John 4:1
    Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world.

The meaning of "inspired expression" is correctly related by the Watchtower Society itself.

*** w01 7/1 pp. 18-19 Do Not Let Doubts Destroy Your Faith ***
    The apostle John also warns Christians against blind belief. “Do not believe every inspired expression,” he writes. Rather, “test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God.” (1 John 4:1) An “expression,” a teaching or opinion, might appear to emanate from God. But did it really come from him? Exercising some doubt, or suspending belief, can be a real protection because, as the apostle John says, “many deceivers have gone forth into the world.”—2 John 7.

If a teaching can be so dearly held that detractors can be punished by disfellowshipping (which the WTS spiritually corresponds to the physical practice of stoning in ancient Israel) it must be deemed "from God", or at the very least "affected, guided, motivated, or directed" by God, wouldn't you agree? What else could possibly grant a human the authority to announce God's displeasure as being so severe that spiritual execution is a consequence?

Unless...unless this teaching, and this authority, does not proceed from God. Unless this action is not motivated by God. Unless this is done without His direction. Unless He is not affecting the outcome at all...in which case 1 John 4:1 offers only one alternative.

I think that if you think on it you will understand why Justice-One has a very good question here.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    it can be spirit directed in the way elders are appointed and some other dessisions are made, but not inspired by the way that what they say would be unfailable true, no inspired words....

Only if you are living in a JW Orwellian world. Spirit directed, means SPIRIT directed. If you are inspired, you are being directed by the spirit.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    1 John 4:1

Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world.

Oh I REALLY like that one! Dang, I'm learning more here than I did in almost 50 years with the JW's! LOL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit