crazy christians see bad news as good news, seem familiar?

by drew sagan 8 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Don't know if anybody put this up here yet or not. I caught this link to harpers from boingboing.net, has some comments posted from a bunch of 'rapture ready' chrisians online. Sounds familiar to what i've seen from another crazy sect of christianity....
    Link
    Amazing how self centered that kind of thinking is. I can't believe I actually looked to this stuff as a sign of good things to come, how pitiful.

• Arthur
    Arthur

I specifically remember a particular comment that a brother made at a Watchtower study. This was right after Hurricane Katrina had happened. He commented that when "we" (JWs) see things such as this happen, it is actually "good news for us, because we know that our deliverence is near". I personally would have loved to take him down to New Orleans and dumped him their with no food, no water, in knee-deep sewer-water and see how wonderful it was for him then.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

drew,

thanks for sharing. The problem is that some "christians" insist on pulling bible verses out of context and trying to twist them to fit with things they hear in the news thus thinking they are proving that their interpretation of scriputure is correct. We really need to be careful not to try to apply every headline in the news to obscure bible texts or we get all kinds of wacky teachings.

Like someone once said: The bible is like a fiddle as you can play many tunes on it.

The thought about the 7 or 8 year old children and the supposed cut off date age wise for people to be saved by God smacked so much like the JWs and when we used to speculate about how old you would have to be in 1914 to understand the signs of the times. I guess all the legalistic, exclusive groups have much in common don't they? Lilly

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

They seem either completely ignorant or completely uncaring about the fact that innocent people are being killed in the Middle East in this conflict. They are solely concerned on what they hope it might mean for them. What a warped sense of priorities.

• frozen one
    frozen one

An elder told me right after an awful earthquake that news about earthquakes, wars, and other disasters made his heart "leap for joy" because bad news proved the end was near. He was smiling when he said it. That was at least 16 years ago because I was still going to meetings at that hall. Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I saw the same elder at my sister's wedding. He was showing his age. I asked if he was still working or if he had retired. He said he was still working (keep in mind that he is in his 70's) because Social Security didn't pay enough for him and his wife to live on. I felt like saying that his story made my heart leap for joy because it proved being a witness ensured working until you dropped. I actually feel sorry for him and his wife. They are decent people for the most part.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I recall an elder's reaction prior to the first invasion of Iraq by the US. He was excited about the possibility of major war breaking out and proclaiming that the 'new system'

will be here soon. He was clapping his hands, and pumping his fist, no different that had he been at a ball game. I just watched him in disbelief, thinking that he is cheering for the

violence and death that would occur during 'desert storm' war.

• Twitch
    Twitch

oh yea,

the folks have CNN on constantly and whenever i visit, they can't help but make some comment about the "state" the world is in and how close to the end we are. with the situation in Israel lately, they have the news on every tv they have, even if they're not watching. sometimes i'll grab the remote and switch to something enjoyable, something we can laugh about.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My mom is always happy when bad things happen. The other day when all the mess in the middle east broke out, I forgot who I was talking to(!!)and said wow, looks like armageddon is breaking out(not serious, just a passing kind of comment) and my mom was excited and perturbed at the same time, "This crazy old system of things needs to end soon, I just hope its over fast!" OMG!!!! I know who she is and how she thinks, but all I could think of was the decades of pain and suffering that she has been rejoicing over all my life, knowing it is all going to bring about Jehovahs kingdom. aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh!!!

• dobbie
    dobbie

I've never been able to understand how jws can be glad when something terrible happens, all i can ever think about are what these people are suffering, especially the children.How can anyone be glad when pain and deaths occur?When a sister (who is trying to help me back) came round the other day and started talking about armageddon, all i could think about was losing my entire family as well as all the little ones dying, what sort of God wants us all to rejoice at the thought of it?!What's really worrying is that there are obviously other groups out there with the same mentality. Makes me feel sick..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit