Power of Prayer Demonstrated

by Carmel 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

Last night I took one of my daughter's highschool friends to the rodeo with me since noone else was interested. We had a good time with the freebee VIP tickets, barby and then the rodeo. Before the first event there was a half hour of pagentry which was okay, but it was interrrupted by an "invocation" by one of the local Baptist ministers. He prayed for the protection of the riders and the animals that endure the riders week after week. That done the gals in there shiny blouses and riding pants did one more goaround the arena with flags waving. One of the horses that was real energetic took a quick turn out of the arena through an open gate leaving its rider flying through the air to smack the gate post. She was down for over five minutes then taken away to the emergency room at the local hospital. Sad way to begin the evening.. but then the calf roping began the evening of performances. Unfortunately the first calf out of the shut hit the end of the rope, was yanked up into the air and came down breaking one of its hind legs. It was really ugly!

I wonder if that pastor would claim that his prayers are heard and answered, after all there could have been mass injuries and there were "only" two!

carmel

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Carmel,

God only listens to Jehovah's Witnesses and then only those who preach, do not lead double lives, study diligently for the meetings, and lust longingly for the next Watchtower to arrive. I suspect that he is virtually unemployed.

HS

• parakeet
    parakeet

I always cringe when I hear TV interviews with natural disaster survivors. It often goes like this: "Well, the good lord musta been lookin' out for me and my famly today. We lost our home, but we still got our lives. God was sure listenin' to our prayers."
    It's the height of insensitivity to make remarks like that. What about their hard-working, god-fearing next-door neighbors that were killed? Are their neighbors' relatives to think that god wasn't looking out for them? How do the prayer-believers account for that?
    And to pray that no one gets injured at a rodeo is like praying that no one gets killed in a war. If you put yourself in harm's way, you run a huge chance of getting hurt. God and prayer have nothing to do with it.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Personally I think those kinds are prayer are just wrong. It sets situations up for a failure. Praying that the Divine will have mercy and help hard hearted people have a change of heart. Or to have endurance to cope with what ever life throws at people. To pray for the understanding and comfort in this life.

But that is my personal opinion. Prayer is to give humans personal comfort and strength. God or the divine does not fix, protect, or save people or animals from anything that might come.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

hmmmmm..........must not have been a heartfelt prayer.

and in line with Jehovahs will.

I thought those were the only prayers that were heard

purps

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

That sounds akin to:

"Please God don't let this hurt when I put my hand on this stove, and if it must then please don't let it harm my flesh so that I have to take an embarrassing trip to the hospital..."

If that kind of prayer sounds ludicrous to you, just think how a transcendant Deity must feel about it

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley

My favorite is the athlete that prays for 5 yards.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Carmel,

God only listens to Jehovah's Witnesses and then only those who preach, do not lead double lives, study diligently for the meetings, and lust longingly for the next Watchtower to arrive. I suspect that he is virtually unemployed.

That's a good one, Hillary. He must have that 'prayer-blocking' cloud working overtime.

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Well, I'm praying for my favorite baseball team to win the championship this year so don't jinx me.

• anewme
    anewme

I dont believe in the power of prayer anymore either.
    I do believe in the power of the mind though.
    Individuals do so much better when they feel supported by others, be it friends, family or the deity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit