Voluntary answering at meetings

by ThomasCovenant 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

We had a CO named John Magnusson. What great guy he was, no sarcasm intended. He was true friend and when he spoke to you it was as if you were the only person on the earth that mattered. He could see I was distracted during the meeting for service and one time called on me to answer a question he'd asked from the daily text. I was out there in thought, he knew it and wanted to catch me zoning. I laughed once I realized it was more about that than it was to get an answer. It was kind of like a teacher in class catching a student dozing. He had the biggest smile, I rattled off some BS and it was done. He never did that to anyone else in our congregation that I know of.

I never knew of anyone in my old congregation that called on people who didn't have thier hand up. Except in this case that was more of a friendly nudge, I think it is rude.

W.Once

P.S. Anyone know John Magnusson or how he's doing? He was back in NY last I'd heard. Great guy.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

It was so much fun being the conductor's family. I cured my dad once by saying sullenly, "What was the question? Oh. Well, I'm sure I don't know." He used to run around looking for Mom and me to whip up a cute little talk, too, when he had the school and discovered a no-show. I felt for him, in a way, it was stressful trying to get people to participate, but unfair to the family members, too, expecting them to pick up the pieces for him.

• headmath
    headmath

At watchtower study, the conductor asked the following question:

"What should be done with mini skirts"

I answered and said "Take them off"

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I know of one item in the school for elders and minis. that it was told that the conductor should never ask somebody to read a text, answer a question etc.

still it is done often.

I remember one time a brother asked who like field service. everybody except me raised thir hands. Then the brother asked me (unfoluntairy) why I did not like it. I almost coult not speak, because it was unexpected. Then I said something that I knew much more did not like it but did not had the courage to not raise their hands.
    After the meeting some people came to me and agreed with me... Then why did they raise their hands.....

Danny

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

My dad never made it that high up in the ranks to conduct a meeting, so I had to make do with his seething expression from across the room, or a nudge in the arm, to get me to raise my arm and answer. That's the only pressure I had, nothing from the conductor.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Never happened in the kingdumb hells I was in because we had plenty of

• dobbie
    dobbie

I always hated answering up, I'd get in such a state i'd feel like i was going to pass out - and that was just putting my hand up!Once i was picked on unexpectedly to read a scripture,i knew the elder involved did it on purpose to make me speak up although he knew how shy i was , i felt such a fool because everyone else knew why he did it as well. I ended up telling him what i thought about it afterwards and they never did it again!

• xcaliber
    xcaliber

I know brother magnusson he was my district overseer while at bethel and brother mazacheck was the C.O. they both visited my congregation and I enjoyed speaking to him.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

I'll bet questioning would be a shocker at the KH.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit