...and keep on thinking free

by undercover 10 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I just heard an old Moody Blues song I haven't heard in years. It was actually a medley...it started out with a spoken word/poem piece called "In the Beginning" before moving into "Lovely to See You".

Anyway, I had always gotten a kick out of the poem but hearing it today, after finding my way out of the JWs, gives it a whole new meaning:

1st voice(man): I think, therefore I am...I think

2nd voice(the establishment): Of course you are, my bright little star, I've miles and miles of files, pretty files of your forefather's fruit, and now to suit our great computer...your magnetic ink

1st voice(man): I'm more than that, I know I am...at least I must be

3rd voice(inner man): There ya go, man. Keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

cool

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Interesting, I knew exactly what the quote was when I read it. I used to listen to the song "Question" and thought it sounded like a song about going door to door as a dub. Remember that song? Sounds like you're a MB fan. (I saw them in concert in 97 it was great) I would loved to have the geritol concession at that concert!

Question:

Why do we never get an answer
    When we're knocking at the door
    With a thousand million questions
    About hate and death and war?
    'Cos when we stop and look around us,
    There is nothing that we need,
    In a world of persecution
    That is burning in its greed.

Because the truth is hard to swallow
    That's what the war of love is for

It's not the way that you say it
    When you do those things to me
    It's more the way that you mean it
    When you tell me what will be

And when you stop and think about it
    You won't believe it's true
    That all the love you've been giving
    Has all been meant for you.

I'm looking for someone to change my life,
    I'm looking for a miracle in my life
    And if you could see what it's done to me,
    To lose the love I knew
    Could safely lead me through.

Between the silence of the mountains,
    And the crashing of the sea,
    There lies a land I once lived in,
    And she's waiting there for me,
    But in the grey of the morning,
    My mind becomes confused,
    Between the dead and the sleeping,
    And the road that I must choose.

I'm looking for someone to change my life,
    I'm looking for a miracle in my life
    And if you could see what it's done to me,
    To lose the love I knew,
    Could safely lead me to
    The land that I once knew,
    To learn as we grow old
    The secrets of our soul.

It's not the way that you say it
    When you do those things to me
    It's more the way you really mean it
    When you tell me what will be

With a thousand million questions
    About hate and death and war?
    'Cos when we stop and look around us,
    There is nothing that we need,
    In a world of persecution
    That is burning in its greed.

Well, the chorus reminded me of F.Service.

Enough,

W.Once

• undercover
    undercover

Oh, man, yea I remember that song...

You're right, there is a definite door-to-door feeling there...

I've got some of their old albums on vinyl...I guess I'll be digging them out tonight and taking a trip down memory lane.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Imagine there's no Heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say that I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will be as one Imagine no possessions I wonder if you can No need for greed or hunger A brotherhood of man Imagine all the people Sharing all the world You may say that I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I think John Lennon wrote this for exjw's

• undercover
    undercover

Can any ex-Bethelites confirm that John Lennon used to take the mags?

I knew somebody who knew someone in Bethel who told him that Lennon either had a subscription or took them from someone on the street.

• undercover
    undercover

Then there's Tommy James' Cyrstal Blue Persuasion":

Some JWs like to say that he studied the Truth book and then wrote the song, but this is the quote I found:

"According to Tommy James himself, "when I wrote Crystal Blue, it was taken from the book of Revelation: the imagery of the new Jerusalem." But I prefer to think that the "blue crystal" is really the planet Earth. This song was a big hit in 1969, the year man landed on the moon, and television viewers saw a beautiful blue round crystal sphere photographed from space."

Lyrics:

Look over yonder what do you see The sun is a-risin' most definitely A new day is comin' people are changin' Ain't it beautiful crystal blue persuasion Better get ready gonna see the light Love, love is the answer and that's all right So don't you give up now so easy to find Just look to your soul and open your mind Crystal blue persuasion, mm-hmm It's a new vibration Crystal blue persuasion, crystal Blue persuasion Maybe tomorrow when He looks down Every green field and every town All of his children every nation There'll be peace and good brotherhood Crystal blue persuasion Crystal blue persuasion.....

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

"I think John Lennon wrote this for exjw's"

Worldly Andre, I believe this is an urban myth amongst Dubs. My wife believed this to be true once.
    Pete

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh
    There you go man! Keep as cool as you can. Face piles of triles with smiles. It riels them to beleive that you perceive the web they weave. Keep on thinking free.

Im a BIG Moody Blues fan. I didn't really get into them untill I started smoking pot. Haven't smoked any weed for some time now but still listen to them. I sam them about 6 or 7 years ago at Blossom Ampitheater near Columbus OH.

This is how I would rate their first seven albums, one being best:

1. To our Childrens' Childrens' Children.

2. Question.

3. On the Threshold of A Dream.

4. Days of the Future Passed.

6. Seventh Sojourn

7. Every Good Boy Deservs a Favour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit