Noah's rectangular Ark

by vomit 19 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

If divine intervention was needed to keep the ark afloat, why didn't God just keep Noah and the animals suspended in mid-air above the water? Why would God require an ark at all?
    Discussion about the seaworthiness of the ark is like discussing what kind of poison the evil queen used in the apple she gave to Snow White. It's a fairy tale!

• undercover
    undercover
    why didn't God just keep Noah and the animals suspended in mid-air above the water? Why would God require an ark at all?

Why even save a few of the animals at all? Why not just create all new animals after the flood waters receded?

• parakeet
    parakeet

***Why not just create all new animals after the flood waters receded?***
    Don't you remember, undercover, that God was "resting" during his 1000-year sabbath? That meant no more creation, only wholesale destruction.
    And they all lived happily ever after.

• Arthur
    Arthur

Primate Dave,

Thanks for posting that info from talkorigins.com. I remember reading that material a long time ago and was racking my brain trying to remember where I saw it.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    Discussion about the seaworthiness of the ark is like discussing what kind of poison the evil queen used in the apple she gave to Snow White. It's a fairy tale!

Very well put.

• vomit
    vomit

To true, but not the point I was trying to make. The JW image of the ark is actualy far less seaworthy than the typical christian one.

I know the arguement about H x L x W, but still it makes no sence, if I wanted to buy a 40 yaught. I dont expect the front of it to be shaped like a brick.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"I know the arguement about H x L x W, but still it makes no sence, if I wanted to buy a 40 yaught. I dont expect the front of it to be shaped like a brick."

Not to be taking the side of the JWs here, but... I think their basic argument was that it was not meant to be a 'sailing craft' (like your 40-foot yacht), but something that would float.
    Otherwise, it would also need something to steer it, or propel it, etc.
    If you want an example - think of the fellas stranded on an island - who make a raft. Just something to 'float' them off of the island - nothing fancy or shaped like a boat - just some logs tied together that would float - and hopefully stay together long enough to get them to land.
    Regards,

Jim TX

• vomit
    vomit

Jim_TX I see your point, but rectangualar would not be the best shape, spherical or something similar to the shape of a life raft would be far better as pressure and internal stresses would be equalised, it would take less material to have the same volume and would be stable in any weather condition. e.g. a bouy. Surely the god who created everything would know that. p

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I think the reasoning came from the Hebrew word translated ark, which meant box or chest , we are told.

Since reading the net, I have come to wonder about the stability of such a structure of that size, but so far I contain my criticism to the WTS and not the Bible itself

• jgnat
    jgnat

So you are saying a curved hall is not just to make the craft steerable, but makes a lot more sense considering the immense pressure water puts on a hull, whether is is moving or standing still.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit