Is America one big cult?

by barry 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hey Robdar,

I see you posted a link in which the usual suspects are after the religious right.

I wonder if you would support going after, let's say, West Angeles Church of God in Christ when they have their usual parade of Democratic candidates for national offices?

Good day, XJW,

I couldn't care less about Democrats or Republicans. I couldn't care less about the story I posted. I posted it for Barry to see what happened in the last election. If the dems are guilty too, then supply your own post. The page I embeded was for information only.

Stop trying to put a label on me. You would never be able to figure me out, so there's no use in trying.

• kid-A
    kid-A

As a former resident of a very BLUE state, I can tell you the term "cult" will never apply to the States since it would imply some sort of homogenous form of "group think". You have to live in the States to really understand the cultural rift between the left and right wing.

There is a chasm between the left and right in the USA that grows deeper every day. I suspect the religious right and associated bible belt states will eventually seek independence from the evil, godless "commie" liberals up North (and California of course!) LOL.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Hey Robdar,

I see you posted a link in which the usual suspects are after the religious right.

I wonder if you would support going after, let's say, West Angeles Church of God in Christ when they have their usual parade of Democratic candidates for national offices?

Good day, XJW,

I couldn't care less about Democrats or Republicans. I couldn't care less about the story I posted. I posted it for Barry to see what happened in the last election. If the dems are guilty too, then supply your own post. The page I embeded was for information only.

Stop trying to put a label on me. You would never be able to figure me out, so there's no use in trying.

Robdar, I'm not trying to label you. I'm trying to engage in discussion. Please step away from the defensiveness. Sheesh.

• sf
    sf
    But Americans are raised trained and disciplined to be very patriotic. They are raised trained and disciplined to believe AS TRUTH in "America,

Thusly, pledging, our allegiance.

I found this piece interesting reading:

What I Expect My Child To Learn From Not Saying the Pledge of Allegiance

sKally

• parakeet
    parakeet

***As you may know our head of state isnt even an Australian she is English. When we go to court its The Crown v John Doe not the people v John Doe. Also we all speak the Queens english here.Also our head of state isnt a politician.***
    I already knew those things, Barry, because I've done some reading about Australia, which I think is a unique and fascinating country/continent. I would never attempt to categorize Australia and its people as one big anything. BTW, I've never heard the Queen say, "gday."

• Robdar
    Robdar

Robdar, I'm not trying to label you. I'm trying to engage in discussion. Please step away from the defensiveness. Sheesh.

Sorry dude. I've been on edge lately and I apologize for jumping the gun. Speaking of jumping the gun, a Beatles song comes to mind:

Happiness is a Warm Gun Lyrics

MP3 Downloads

Send The Beatles polyphonic ringtone to your cell phone

She's not a girl who misses much
    Do do do do do do- oh yea!
    She's well acquainted with the touch of the velvet hand
    Like a lizard on a window pane

The man in the crowd with the multicoloured mirrors
    On his hobnail boots
    Lying with his eyes while his hands are busy
    Working overtime
    A soap impression of his wife which he ate
    And donated to the National Trust

I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
    Down to the bits that I left uptown
    I need a fix cause I'm going down
    Mother Superior jumped the gun

Happiness is a warm gun
    Happiness is a warm gun, momma
    When I hold you in my arms
    And I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm
    Because happiness is a warm gun, momma
    Happiness is a warm gun
    -Yes it is.
    Happiness is a warm, yes it is...
    Gun!
    Well don't ya know that happiness is a warm gun, momma?

Cheers,

Robyn

• barry
    barry

Thanks Robdar for that information im more informed now.

Parakeet, Just ask Robdar I phoned her up once or twice she will tell you i talk just like the Queen or the Prince.Mainly like the prince actually

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

I wouldn't say America is a cult becauce America is not a homogeneous whole (some use the phrase "salad bowl"). However, in my opinion, Nationalism (and I'm not exclusively referring to U.S. nationalism) is definitely a cult made up of many denominations (French nationalism, US nationalism, Italian nationalism, etc.). A selection of historical figures are revered like holy men. The nationalist beliefs are exclusive: "we" are good; "we" were chosen by god, etc. Nationalism has even its own rituals and taboos: for example, there is manual that tells the proper way to deal with the US flags that are too old to be flown (a very ritualized ceremony is prescribed). Moreover, nationalism is often followed with exeggerated zeal: people are willing to kill and die for their nations without requiring much of an explanation. They obey the national leaders like the JWs obey the governing body without a question: They can't be wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit