Mickey Spillane's obituary

by TresHappy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Frank Morrison "Mickey" Spillane, age 88 of Murrells Inlet died Monday, July 17, 2006 at his home.

Born March 9, 1918 in Brooklyn, NY, son of the late John and Ann Spillane. Mickey attended Kansas State College where he played football. He was a World War II veteran, US Army Aircorp veteran serving as a flight instructor. Mickey was the creator of Mike Hammer and starred as Mike Hammer in the film, "The Girl Hunters". He was a bestselling author of 32 novels from which 8 where made into motion pictures, the Mike Hammer television series and Marvel Comics. For 18 years, he appeared in Lite Beer commercials. In 1995 he was awarded the highest award for writing, The Grand Master Award and also was awarded Jr. Literacy Award for "The Day the Sea Rolled Back". Mickey was a deep sea diver, pilot, stock car racer, avid fisherman and traveled with the Clyde Beatty Circus. Mickey was a member of the Jehovoh's Witness.

Surviving are his wife, Jane Rogers Spillane; children, Kathy Spivey and Michael Spillane both of Myrtle Beach, Ward Spillane of Louisana and Caroline Hill of Galax, VA; step children, Britt Ellinger of Great Falls, VA, Lisa Roberts of Georgetown and Mabry Simonetti of North Augusta; ten grandchildren and six great grandchildren.

The family will receive friends from 10:00-2:00, Saturday, July 22, 2006 at Goldfinch Funeral Home, Beach Chapel.

Services will be 2:00 PM, Saturday, July 29, 2006 at Kingdom Hall on Holmestown Rd, in Surfside Beach.

Memorials may be made to Tidelands Hospice, 2591 North Fraser St., Georgetown, SC 29440.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

He was a good writer who didn't take himself so serious....

one of his quotes: " I was the first one probably in writing to use a nickname, Mickey, and it stuck"

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

They are allowing the Kingdom Hall to be used for his services??? He must of donated a lot of money to the Society. According to the code, he is a worldly person, I guess they can "Wink, Wink", because he is famous and was DF. and reinstated again.

I always liked him, he was a real person and did what he wanted to do not what others told him. He was his own person. Great writer. He did his own thing, the elders did not control him.

Blueblades

• juni
    juni

With all due respect to Mr. Spillane who wasn't afraid to do his "own thing", I have a huge problem w/the disparity between people depending on who you are - popularity w/those in charge, degree of wealth, etc. and how you are treated in this religion.

Juni

• blondie
    blondie

JWs have sucked up to celebrity whether it be people who come in from outside or inside.

When someone is pointed out at a new KH, "he's an elder" "she's a regular pioneer" "his father is an elder" "he's a substitute CO" "he's from the Ministerial Training School" "She used to be a missionary" "her son is at Bethel" all internal celebrities.

Michael Jackson, Rebbie Jackson, Katherine Jackson, Teresa Graves, Larry Graham, Prince, George Benson, Lou Whitaker, Mark McCumber, David Meyers (Milwaukee, basketball)...and many sports figures...get attention the rank and file do not.

None of us know Mr. Spillane and I would hate to make judgments based on what little we do know. There will always be inequities in the WTS organization because they follow humans and worship them not God.

Blondie

• jgnat
    jgnat

What an amazing life he had! I wonder if all those details of his life will be mentioned in the funeral talk?

• blondie
    blondie

I doubt it, jgnat. Unless it was in the obituary. Many speakers just read the obituary; partly because they can't remember or don't know who the family are. Was his first wife ever a JW?

Blondie

Married Mary Ann Pearce in 1945, Spillane converted 1952, divorced 1962...which means he was a JW for 10 years while still married to her. I wonder if any children converted?

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

I agree Juni, it appears as though this is usually the case! . Fellow book-sellers making money. But Mickey was upfront with who he was!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit