PO said automation and declining contributions reason for Bethel layoffs

by truthseeker 71 Replies latest jw friends

• FairMind
    FairMind

As commented on by other posters, I remember hearing an Elder say from the platform (in 1970s) that Jehovah’s backing of the WTS was evidenced by the fact that all donations were voluntary. He said that if the Society ever had to ask for money it would show that it was no longer the organization that Jehovah was using. Do ya’ll suppose this explains the WTS’ current financial woes?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

The day will come when they do some figuring and then they'll read this:

(Old Testament | Malachi 3:7 - 8)

7 ¶ Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?
    8 ¶ Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    He said that if the Society ever had to ask for money it would show that it was no longer the organization that Jehovah was using. Do ya’ll suppose this explains the WTS’ current financial woes?

I'd say that's the least explicable reason for their financial woes. Let's think in terms on there being no supernatural reason. THe first thing that comes to mind is that people simply do not feel a deep loyalty to them anymore. What has the WTS ever done for me, other than shove "spiritual food" down my throat? - That's something that JW's might feel deep down inside, wethter they admit it or not.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have not read all the comments on this thread........

When I first started studying, I was under the impression that all work was volunteered. How crazy it was of me to think it went all the way to the top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I somehow felt we were all in the same boat.......working and giving what we could of ourselves to keep things going. No one was fully out of touch with the world as they were working and dealing with it as all of us.

My mother went to Bethel and got some special tours and got to eat at Bethel. She said they had a guide take them around NY and they had everything paid for by my mom and the party she was with. My mom has to work hard for her money and donates it and her time ....pioneering......and she did feel a bit resentful being obligated to pay this other sisters expenses......dinner, tickets to the theatre....etc etc.........

She said she could never expect anyone to pay her way like that..........and said it must take a special kind of person to be able to accept that from others........

I am probably way off topic......

pursp

• TTS
    TTS

Bethel layoffs are due to lack of personnel oversight.

This all started when the GB created the branch committee. The GB assigned them the task of cutting costs. It was revealed that there were too many workers, too much money being wasted everywhere.

There would be no layoffs if the Org. was on top of things.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    This all started when the GB created the branch committee. The GB assigned them the task of cutting costs. It was revealed that there were too many workers, too much money being wasted everywhere.

You are exactly correct. Wasn't it in 1999 or 2000? It became a notorious Zone Overseer visit to the US. They basically didn't understand why the US Bethel didn't work the same as all the other branches. So they basically formed the US Branch and began standardizing everything to cut costs and turn things around. They made things more efficient, but in many respects overlooked the human aspect of operations. Wallkill, Paterson, and Brooklyn were all rolled into one branch, supporting each other. They began to move personnel around, switching out overseers, cutting departments, etc. That was when things really began to turn to shit.

• TTS
    TTS

Lack of oversight is the primary cause for the layoffs. But indubitably, they were seeing many older bethelites who where always sick or not as productive. Thus, they brought this problem upon themselves for thinking that the end was near and thus not having to worry about older bethelites.

This is 6 years in the making ...

Bethel related costs savings since 2000-2001:

1. The menu was combined for all 3 complexes, thus saving money.
    2. New opportunity for Bethelites to go Gilead with ought leaving Bethel. This so called "provision" of the Governing Body" was really a way of telling the Bethelites, a hmm, you are not needed here. Here is a free ticket out.
    3. New opportunity for Bethelites to go to MTS school with ought leaving Bethel. Same as above ... "provision"
    4. Bethel departments were reorganized to cut personnel and costs.
    5. Bethel review of bethelites sick days. For brothers: 12 days was alloted per year. For sisters: 24 days was alloted per year. My memory may be failing on these figures.
    6. New Bethelites are not being accepted as permanent workers. They are year to year. Thus, they can't complain when they are asked to leave since they signed on as year to year.
    7. Many Bethel computer applications were eliminated and replaced by SAP R/3 costings millions to implement but thinking that they would be saving in the long run.
    8. New Presses that could produce more with little maintenance (personnel).
    9. Outsource bound volumes
    10. Smaller calendars
    11. Elimation of hard covers
    12. High medical coverage for elderly bethelites who were hospitilized outside of Bethel.
    13. Eliminate video/tape duplication department. (can someone confirm this?)
    14. Others???

Come the year 2006. End result? Layoffs. The handwriting was on the wall in the year 2000.

So, the real reason for Bethel layoffs is twofold.

1) Inadequate supervision of the widows mite for decades.

2) Not realizing that the end would was not as close thus having abundance of eldery bethelites who are now limited.

The reason the WT gives?

1) The need is great in the field.

Would Jehovah permit millions of dollars to be wasted? You be the judge.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    The reason the WT gives?

1) The need is great in the field.

Which we all know is bogus. The field if pretty much unproductive anymore. All you have to do is subtract people's kids from the baptism totals in recent years and there wouldn't be enough converts to offset the tens of thousands who exit out the back door.

• ronin1
    ronin1

LovesDubs:

You hit it in the nail.

P.S.- Don't forget in the early years laundering monies out of the USA.

Ronin1

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Elsewhere,

:As I like to say: Whoever pays the bills makes the rules.

That's for sure. Very well said. I'll be using that one in the future.

Dismembered

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit