Are Jehovah's Witnesses a cult?

by Shawn10538 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I was hoping for some input by Eduardo or any other doubters out there that believe that JWs are not a cult, but I guess there aren't that many of you. So I am going to try to play Devil's advocate to get some counter points going.

III. JWs are not a cult at all because every individual in the church has the explicit right to think and believe anything they want, do anything they want and stay or leave anytime they want without any negative consequences coming from the church or its members - no backlash in other words.

That's a start for the con side.

Also unless I hear different I am going to list all statements under "I" in the above post, (the first one) as Agreement 1.

So here we go:

Agreement 1 = All statements under "I" listed in the above post. This means out of all the members of this Forum, not a single person disputes any of the facts listed under "I," their wording, their meaning, their application, relevance and truth. Going... going... Gone!

So, we all agree with the statements under "I."

To be continued...

Shawn

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Shawn,

I think I understand what you are trying for. It appears to me that you are introducing concepts, such as impacts of disfellowshipping, and the desire to avoid negative consequences of disfellowshipping, into the stream of logic without predicating these concepts severally. This risks attack to broad segments of logic without preserving key elements of the dynamic.

For the logic to flow, each idea has to be built on predicated ideas, the conclusions should derive from the predicates. In this way, each predicate can be challenged separately without risking the deflation of large chunks of logic. I think the logical development needs to be more fully fleshed out, but I agree with the argument. Your suggestion for Article III. is almost lockstep with the reasoning of a poster with whom I have been having a conversation by PM, except he recognizes there are negative consequences (which should be a separate predication for purposes of challenge).

Although it leads to the same argument, I recommend replacing Section I as follows:

1. CULT. from the American Heritage Dictionary: 1. A system of religious worship or ritual. 2. A religion or sect considered extremist or false. 3a. Obsessive devotion to a person or principle. 3b. The object of such devotion. (Reference Definitions 1-3b)
    1. JWs are a cult according to Definition 1.
    1. While the Bible Students rejected the concept of religion and actively taught that organization was unnecessary, Jehovah’s Witnesses embrace the concept of religion to the extent of positioning their religion as the only true religion, therefore worship as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses is religious.
    2. The religious worship is systematized in that standards are published for almost every congregational and "spiritual" activity in which one of Jehovah’s Witnesses might engage, in publications such as, but not limited to; District Convention Operations Manual, "Pay Attention to Yourselves and to All the Flock" (elders manual), Organized to Do Jehovah’s Will (everyone’s manual), Branch Organization (Branch operations/policy manual), Dwelling Together In Unity (Bethel manual).
    3. The religion is ritualized through a central authority.
    1. The content is prescribed.
    1. The material covered is prescribed.
    2. The songs to be sung are prescribed.
    3. The teaching covered in most of the formal acts is extensively outlined.
    1. The ceremony (i.e. order of formal acts) is prescribed.
    1. Schedules are published for all meetings showing the order of events to be followed.
    2. Only in exceptional circumstances (e.g. Memorial celebration, District Convention, dangerously inclement weather, Circuit Overseer’s visit) is it allowable to change the schedules.
    1. JWs are a cult according to Definition 2.
    1. JWs are considered extremist (i.e. far beyond the norm).
    1. Published views on blood transfusions.
    1. Roughly 1/1000 of the world population comprised of JWs and other tiny groups of religionists hold these views on blood transfusions.
    2. The published view of blood transfusions, if heeded, results in avoidable death in cases of massive blood loss and certain illnesses.
    3. The interpretation of Acts 15 regarding blood is well beyond the norm, this does not mean the interpretation is incorrect, just that it is an extreme interpretation.
    1. Practicing severe shunning.
    1. Not extreme in matters of punishment for violation of moral standards.
    2. Extreme in response to criticism and persistent questioning of doctrine.
    3. Extreme in response to voluntary departure from a religious organization.
    4. Extreme in that even fleshly family members are expected to avoid all unnecessary contact with a shunned person.
    5. Extreme in that choosing to associate with one publicly marked for shunning is enough to become publicly marked for shunning.
    6. Extreme in that one shunned may not attend family or congregational gatherings except in public venues, such as the local Kingdom Hall or at a Circuit or District convention, regardless of purpose behind event. (E.g. the wedding reception or baby shower of a close relative/former friend, the gathering after a memorial service or funeral of a close relative/former friend, etc.)
    1. Avoid friendship with non-JWs.
    1. Non-religious association with workmates or classmates is considered choosing "bad associations." (1 Corinthians 15:33)
    2. Involvement with civic improvement or volunteerism projects is considered choosing "bad associations." (1 Corinthians 15:33)
    3. Membership in or involvement with local organizations such as the YMCA, United Way, etc. is considered "bad associations" and "friendship with the world." (1 Corinthians 15:33; James 4:4)
    4. Serving in any capacity of public office is considered being "part of the world" and seeking to be a "friend of the world." (John 15:19; James 4:4)
    1. JWs are a cult according to Definition 3a.
    1. Devotion to a "person" or principle is specifically required of all JWs per Section I, (A) 2.
    1. A "person" as defined by law includes an organization, and is synonymous with an entity.
    2. Both the Faithful and Discreet Slave and the Governing Body meet the criteria of entities to whom devotion is required.
    1. Devotion to the current teachings of Jehovah as dispensed through and interpreted by these two entities is required.
    2. Eager acceptance of changed teachings of Jehovah as dispensed through and interpreted by these two entities is required.
    3. Devotion to activities prescribed as requirements of God, as dispensed through and interpreted by either of these two entities, is required.
    4. Strict avoidance of activities proscribed by either of these two entities, in symbol of devotion to Jehovah, is required.
    1. The required devotion is obsessive and extreme.
    1. JWs have allowed family members to die in adherence to Section I, (B) 1 (a) due to the interpretation of the Governing Body (who claim to represent the Faithful and Discreet Slave).
    1. The requirement is enforced by either disfellowshipping or announcing as disassociated anyone who does not adhere to the requirement. (see Section I, (B) 1 (b))
    2. Attempts by medical personnel to enforce blood transfusions on minors has been compared to rape by JWs in court and in Watchtower Society publications—even in situations where no other available treatment would save the life of the minor.
    3. When interpretational latitude is offered by the Governing Body many Jehovah’s Witnesses change their decisions about what medical practices they will allow, which demonstrates that for these JWs it is a matter of maintaining devotion to the Governing Body or fear of consequences rather than personal choice to reject blood.
    1. JWs are a cult according to Definition 3b.
    1. While Jehovah is taught as the preeminent object of devotion, the only visible object of devotion is the Governing Body who represents the Faithful and Discreet Slave.
    1. The teachings of and instruction from the Governing Body are considered from Jehovah and equivalent to spiritual food, necessary for sustaining spiritual life. (Matthew 24:45-47)
    2. The Governing Body, via its position as sole and unquestionable doctrinal authority, is the physical object of devotion; the earthly representative of the spiritual object of devotion, Jehovah.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit