• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Today I can wake up with a roof over my head,

air conditioning running

food in the cabinets

I know my children are home in peace.

There is some gas in my car

my internet is working.

I fed my cats, dog, birds and soon the fish.

I have already been to the store and bought

my grand daughter a pair of sandels I could not resist

seeing her wear....and a cute pair of shorts and t-shirt.

I have seen bad times.........3 days of nothing but rice for myself and 5 kids......coming home to the power turned off, the water turned off, the doors locked to an apt becuase of non payment of rent. Car wrecks, hospitol visits, stolen car, house robbed, beatings from my ex husband, abuse growing up......a war within my head about God and organized religion. I've fretted if my shoes matched my outfit......if my earrings looked too slutty......and the times the dishwasher did not work and I had to (heaven forbid) handwash dishes. Been through hurricanes and tornadoes........flooding.......and drought........where our well went dry........taking a bath in the river. the men going down first to kill snakes and clear the way for us damsels in distress!

But

I have never lived anywhere that I was in fear of being bombed, a soldier from another country knocking on my door with a gun in his hand, telling me to get out,

My heart goes out to all who are in distress, the ones trying to get back to their homes. Anyone who has made an error in decision making and today.......needs total unconditional love. I hope that all that need to realize the strength they have within to make it through the day get it.

Just a day I am feeling grateful.........tomorrow it could all be different.

purps

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Thx for the reminder.
    It's one of those 'little' things that we can take for granted.
    So, when we think life is horrible, if we can remember what others are dealing with right now, it is a huge perspective adjustment.

BSoM

• serendipity
    serendipity

I've been thinking about the victims of war as well, especially the children. It's Armageddon to them.

• arwen
    arwen

There but for the grace of God go we! I too am thankful today for the freedom we have in our country. I pray that those living in the war torn countries will have the strength and courage to endure.

• LDH
    LDH

Very apropos.

• anewme
    anewme

Very good counsel PurpleSofa.

We should all cherish and count our blessings every single day.

Tomorrow everything could change.

May we all show courage.

Anewme

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Thanks, PurpleSofa.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

::I have never lived anywhere that I was in fear of being bombed, a soldier from another country knocking on my door with a gun in his hand, telling me to get out

And having nowhere to go.
    I was thinking about this the other day because I had a bad dream that war broke out here. It was the very first time I actually thought about the fact that this was a reality for so many people living in the middle of it right now.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

21 people flown out by helicoptor today..........25,000 Americans there.......800 registered at the embassy.........they are supposed to sign up on the internet..........wonder how many have no access.........

21 flown out just does not seem like many .........no judgements.........just observation

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I read this topic earlier, PurpleSofa, and thought it nice that you'd written it. Empathy would solve 99% of the problems facing the world, imo.

It just hit me however, a certain irony based on the title you gave your topic; if you asked most Americans, we are a country at war. That dichotomy between war and war is a profound thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit