Supporting Vegetarian/Vegan Teens

by Scully 24 Replies latest social family

• Scully
    Scully

My youngest is toying with the idea of adopting the vegan lifestyle. She came to me at 11pm last evening with a strict list of what she wanted me to purchase for her as soon as the store opened this morning. Her enthusiasm could easily have been mistaken for "preaching".... and I'm afraid it didn't foster a very receptive spirit in me.

My main concern is her having adequate nutrition. When I talked to her about her motivation to adopt this lifestyle, she expressed that she felt it was "healthy" and that she thought it would be a very efficient means of weight loss/maintenance. She's still in the growth phase - early teens - and I'm worried that if she restricts her protein intake severely, it might stunt her growth.

Today, she was still interested, and we did a bit of online research together, but her preachy-ness had mellowed significantly. At this point, she wants to gradually adopt the vegan lifestyle. She realized that her cool new patent leather shoes weren't vegan-friendly.

So my question is this: What's a good way to go about accommodating a teen who wants to go vegetarian/vegan when the rest of the family wants to remain omnivorous? Since I'm the chief cook and bottle washer in the family, I can imagine that the bulk of the work (from purchasing, preparing and clean-up) is going to be left to me too, and I'd like for her to take some responsibility in the lifestyle she wants to adopt rather than having it all fall on my shoulders. Does anyone have any experience with this?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have gone through spells of being total vegetarian. I got all the nutrition I needed, felt better, looked better.

I found that my kids took to the change too..........so we all ate better. They could enjoy dishes and add meat to them if they wanted to.

They did well with the Tofu stuff too!!!!

I did it gradually.........no beef.........only chicken and turkey.........and then vegetable burgers..........Boca Burgers are good and the kids like them.

tofu spaghetti.........chili, these kinds of dishes are good.

Vegetable steamer a must.

purps

• damselfly
    damselfly

Being a vegetarian is fairly easy but the vegan is more of a challenge.

What if she was put in charge of planning a nutrionally balanced vegan meal, purchasing the food and preparing it once a week? It might be too much for her to do on her own.
    If you cook and plan and serve it to her then it becomes too easy to do and she might not realize how much prep time goes into each meal to ensure she's getting all her nutrients.

I'd be worried about her calcium intake if she becomes vegan as well.

Dams

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    So my question is this: What's a good way to go about accommodating a teen who wants to go vegetarian/vegan when the rest of the family wants to remain omnivorous? Since I'm the chief cook and bottle washer in the family, I can imagine that the bulk of the work (from purchasing, preparing and clean-up) is going to be left to me too, and I'd like for her to take some responsibility in the lifestyle she wants to adopt rather than having it all fall on my shoulders. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Good points Scully! I would have her be responsible for making her shopping list, preparing and clean-up but it's a great way for her to learn how to cook and learn all about food preparation. Good Mommy time I'm sure it can't hurt in fact it might help the Mother/daughter bonds during a difficult age.

I wouldn't worry too much about nutrition it is really a healthy lifestyle, she'll avoid the fast food pitfalls most teens get addicted to as well. Nothing a good multi vitamin taken daily won't cure!

I would look at it as an opportunity for the rest of the family to ease into it.

• Scully
    Scully
    I'd be worried about her calcium intake if she becomes vegan as well.

Apparently she has this all figured out. She thinks she'll get all the calcium she needs from spinach. Wait until she finds out just how much spinach she has to eat to meet her daily calcium requirements.

• Scully
    Scully
    she'll avoid the fast food pitfalls

She has that all figured out as well: french fries and veggie burgers can be bought at McDonald's, apparently....

• damselfly
    damselfly

What about scheduling a visit with a nutrionist?
    Seeing exactly how much spinach (OMG! I could just imagine) and almonds she'd have to eat on top of all the other nutrients. Might change her mind in a hurry.

She will gain wieght if she relies on fries and cheap veggie burgers. Show her the nutrient guides on those. :-)

Dams

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

First of all I'd recommend a good vitamin supplement, make sure you get one with iron in it. Does she like peanut butter? That can be an excellent source of protein as well as things like vegetarian chili. I would suggest if she does not wash the dishes already you get her to do so and give you a break since you will be doing more to prepare her food. Perhaps suggest she come shopping WITH you instead of just providing a list and that way she can have an active hand in what she is eating and know just how much extra time you are putting in to help her.

• Scully
    Scully
    What about scheduling a visit with a nutrionist?

Actually this is something I've suggested to her. I have a very basic idea what is entailed, due to having worked with patients who are vegetarian in varying degrees, and from my studies (my residual memory is straining to recall it though LOL).

She went through a stint a couple of months ago where she was only eating lettuce and cucumbers and carrots. She scared the hell out of me when she told me her period was a few weeks late (which is normally like clockwork) - I knew it was the "diet" and I put her on multivitamin / iron / calcium supplements right away. Within a couple of days "aunt Flo" started visiting her again.

She likes peanut butter, but at the same time, she is trying to avoid bread because she thinks it's "fattening". I tried to reason with her that if she's going to eliminate meat from her diet, then she's going to have to combine grains and legumes in order to get protein. It's not the same coming from "mom", though.

Thanks for the great suggestions so far! Please keep 'em coming!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have a child who is vegatarian but she eats fish so it makes it much easier and I support fully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit