?? The gospel accounts read entirely different regarding the resurection??

by Lady Liberty 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

One of the rare non-WT Biblical books I bought before I left JWs was a synopsis of the Gospels, and that was very mind-opening to me. I studied it from a wholly Christian perspective, and the literary development of the Gospel stories, especially as regards the resurrection and apparitions, was obvious -- especially when you take into account, as I did, not only the various concurrent stories, but their conspicuous absence from the earliest narrative, i.e. Mark. Another troubling element was the uneasy dismissal of the "Jewish story" that the disciples took away the corpse in Matthew. Or the mention in John that Pilate granted the body of Jesus to Joseph of Arimathea at a time when Jesus was not supposed to be dead. Or the insistence in Luke that the disciples shouldn't leave Jerusalem, whereas Mark has Jesus promise them that he would meet them in Galilee... there are a lot of holes in the narratives, which point to an even more complex network of early stories about Jesus' fate.

Good luck...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Not to mention that Paul claims that Peter was the first to see Jesus after the resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:5), tho John 20:11-18 gives the honor to Mary Magdalene who in the synoptic gospels only has a angelophany. Mark 14:28, 16:7 implies that Peter would first see Jesus in Galilee after the resurrection, while Luke 24:35 states that the appearance to Peter had already occurred in Jerusalem before the Eleven. And yet no account of this is given earlier in the chapter, and 24:21 -- which has uncertain textual status -- states that Peter only "saw the binding cloths but nothing else".

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

was Adam and Eve informed there was going to be a resurrection? Would it have changed their decision any if they had known they would have been forgiven?

• Shazard
    Shazard

Wel I rather would doubt story if 4 different authors of the same event would describe it identically. Wouldn't you?

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

I read thru the christian explanations in the links that Jgnat posted. The point of the author seemed to be that the seeming inconsistencies could be explained by such things as the differences in focus of the authors, etc. But that doesn`t explain the points raised by Narkissos and Leolaia, that the stories in the different gospels rules out the description of events in (some of) the others.

And Shazard: That would be ok if it was written by men, wouldn`t it? But not if it was written by God...At least it shows that the view of the Bible that every word in it comes directly from God, isn`t true (in my opinion).

• thinker
    thinker

I read an interesting theory that says it's a literary puzzle. It starts with the healing of Lazarus which happened just a few days before Jesus died (John 11). Jesus and company are hiding out in the counrtyside when he gets word that his friend, Lazarus is dying. Jesus hangs out for two more days (John 11:6). Why did he wait two days? He was so upset by Lazarus' death it says he wept. Why not just heal him from a distance like he did for the Roman soldier? Why not start out immediately? The answer is that tombs weren't sealed until the third day, just in case some inept doctor was wrong about the person really being dead. Three days of visiting the tomb and you'd know for sure by the smell (John 11:9). Also, going there two days later wasn't any safer than going sooner, as Thomas says they're all gonna die (John 11:16).

Despite the delay, the gospels go into great detail about this healing. There's a stone in place sealing the tomb (Jn 11:39), and Lazarus leaves his wrappings behind at the tomb (Jn 11:44). So, when the whole thing is over, you have an empty tomb with the stone rolled away and burial wrapping left behind in the tomb (sound familiar?).

Then you get to the four resurrection accounts and notice they all start with a 'time stamp'. First is John 20:1 "while there was still darkness", then Matt 28:1 "while it was growing light", then Mark 16:2 "very early...when the sun had risen", then Luke 24:1 "very early" (check the greek language to see the difference between Mark's "early" and Luke's "early"). Clearly these were multiple visits.

When you put all the pieces together you get something very interesting. The number of apostles at the tomb and their location (inside or outside) matches exactly the appearance of the 'angels' supposedly seen there.

Here's the puzzle solved:

In the dark, Mary Magdalene goes alone to the cemetery to find Jesus's tomb. She sees Lazarus's tomb with the stone rolled away and assumes it is Jesus's tomb. John 20:1

She runs to Simon Peter and the other disciple (John) and tells them what she has seen. John 20:2

Peter is also with John and Simon Peter (As we will see the author indicates that Simon Peter is not the same person as Peter which is why they are given two different monikers). Peter and John start off running toward the tomb. John gets there first. John 20: 3

John looks inside and sees Lazarus's burial wrappings but stays outside the tomb. John 20:5

We now have one tired man (John) outside the tomb. John sits down to rest.

Mary Magdalene returns with the other Mary to show her the empty tomb. Matt 28:1

The two Marys mistake John for an angel. (Note that angels often appeared as men in the OT). Matt 28:2

The two Marys run off. Matt 28:8

Peter still has not showed up at the tomb; but Simon Peter, who was with John and Peter, wanders in. He enters the tomb. John 20:6

We now have Simon Peter in the tomb and John somewhere outside. Peter's whereabouts is unknown.

Mary Magdalene and the other Mary return with Salome. Mark 16: 2

They enter the tomb and mistake Simon Peter for an angel. Mark 16:5

Simon Peter knows John is just outside somewhere but still hasn't seen Peter, so he specifically asks the women to tell the disciplees and Peter. Mark 16:7

The three women flee and don't tell any disciples yet. Mark 16:8

John now joins Simon Peter in the tomb. John 20:8

We now have two men in the tomb.

Mary Magdalene returns with Joanna and Mary mother of James who had prepared spices for Jesus's body. They enter the tomb and see John and Simon Peter. They mistake them for two angels. Luke 24:1

All the women go to tell the disciples Luke 24: 8

John and Simon Peter go home. John 20:10

Two other disciples leave the house to see for themselves. Luke 24:24

Mary Magdalene goes to the tomb again and begins to cry. She looks inside and sees the two disciples who came to see for themselves. She mistakes these two for angels. John 20:11

Mary Magdalene leaves the tomb and sees the gardener. When the gardener calls her by name she thinks he's Jesus. John 20:14

The gardener is shocked and tells her to let go of him. John 20:17

Mary Magdalene returns to the disciple's home with the news. John 20:18

That this was all a case of mistaken identity is brought home by the additional accounts of the disciples encounters with 'Jesus'.

Matt 28:17 and when they saw him they did obeisance, but some doubted.

Mark 16:12 Moreover, after these things he appeared in another form to two of them walking along, as they were going into the country;

Luke 24:37 But because they were terrified, and had become frightened, they were imagining they beheld a spirit.

Luke 24:16 but their eyes were kept from recognizing him.

John 21:4 However, just as it was getting to be morning, Jesus stood on the beach, but the disciples did not, of course, discern that it was Jesus.

So now you know the rest of the story......

thinker

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

LoL. Except for that the verses rules out that puzzle:

The gardener is shocked and tells her to let go of him. John 20:17:

20:16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned and said to him in Aramaic,“Rabboni” (which means Teacher). 20:17 Jesus replied,“Do not touch me, for I have not yet ascended to my Father. Go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    OK,

I just got through reading it!! Holy Cow!! Totally different stories of what happened. What is up????

As a jw, did you believe that you knew more theology than "those in christendom", yet hadn't even read the bible ? More than say, a monk who over a thousand years ago hand wrote one?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit