Trying to not feel like a putz!

by Sparkplug 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Ok, I should be at a funeral. I am all dressed up and I did not go. I don't know why? I am pretty mad at myself, but when all was said and done, I just could not get myself to go. I hate funerals. I really do.

Decki

• serendipity
    serendipity

There are a lot of members in the putz club for the same reason, including me. I don't like funerals either, and even missed a relative's funeral a few years back. Maybe if you send a card and your apologies, it will be ok.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My sister-in-law can't do funerals, either. How would you most like to remember the person who is gone? Would it be easier to say your private goodbyes at the gravesite? Did your friend/relative have a favorite charity you can donate to?

Especially with grief, I think everyone should be allowed to do it in their own way. Give yourself lots of room to do that.

• vitty
    vitty

I have always thought im a bit strange because I DO like funerals. Im sad that the person has died, but i dont know what it is that I like. I cant bring myself to analys it.

Actually like or enjoy is not the right word but I cant find another.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Hi! putz over here too *waves*

I can't stand funerals, being in an enclosed place with all that grief floating around just does me in.

It's okay to stay home.

Dams

• Satanus
    Satanus

Well, you prolly did what was right for you. Nothing putzy about that.

S

• codeblue
    codeblue

I hate funerals as well. Could have something to do with my mom dying when I was 14, watching her die of cancer.

Even though you missed the funeral, it is the time afterwards where many people still feel sad and are still grieving. An unexpected visit to show you care will always be appreciated.

Codeblue

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I don't blame you Decki, I hate them too. It's really hard for me to deal with someone dying (publicly). I'd rather mourn alone.

• ferret
    ferret

I do like funerals, I find them spiritual. ( I do not like jw funerals) recently my 99 year old aunt died and the funeral was conducted by the Salvation Army and I really enjoyed the comforting message they delivered.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Most people who attend funerals do so for two reasons:

1. They truly are grieving the person who has died, and wouldn't feel right being anywhere else. They are compelled to be with others who are grieving the loss of the same person. The funeral is the occasion to do that.

2. They want to show support to those who are grieving the loss of a husband, wife, father, mother, sister, brother or child. They know that their very presence is a comfort to the grieving family.

People who don't attend a funeral "that they should" because they find it "too uncomfortable" to be around sadness and death are behaving selfishly and immaturely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit