Your earliest love affairs

by greendawn 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

Can you recall your earlier history of falling in love? What do you think about those experiences now?

When I think of them I judge them as having been totally vain and naive and having made me too narrow minded, passive and dependant on other people. Furthermore it was not real love but immature love or passion. That was from age 14 to 25. I am pleased that nothing permanent happened with those early affairs.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I was raised as a JW, I think that speaks for itself, on how lousy it was....

• daystar
    daystar

I think that if I'd not been raised as a possessive, egocentric, self-righteous JW, I may have married, and maybe still be married to, the first girl I was really in love with when I was 19. As it was, I lost her because I'd not yet rid myself of all those negative JW qualities.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I was 18 and she is still in my heart, 30 years later.

Warlock

• M.J.
    M.J.

Not a dub, I went off to college and got a girlfriend for the first time. I was a late bloomer I guess, having been too "nerdy" in high school for the dating scene.

I was so naive at the time. So new to the whole thing. I finally figured out that I wanted to "shop around" so I dumped the poor girl after a year of dating. Ha! I was such a dumb kid I thought that I could just kind of avoid her and she'd just disappear. But of course I had to fess up and tell her it was over. To this day I still feel so bad for having broke her heart.

Yeah those early relationships were so dramatic and when you look back after years of marriage you see it in such a different light.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

They all hold a special place in my heart. (And I liked kissing 'em!!!!)

Would they have worked out over the long term? Probably not. When I was young I'd see a cutie and *POW* I was in love. Most of my relationships, even at 16 and on, tended to last a long time.

I agree with Daystar that the JW experience, at least for me, did not contribute to any sort of emotional maturity on my part that would make such a relationship last.

The most damaging trait was to insist on truth and being right with love taking a far distant back seat. I learned that from the Watchtower, and it was reinforced by the attorneys I work with.

Change comes with age because hopefully you learn some wisdom along the way. Pain is a good teacher and motivator. It's like, "I don't want to repeat THAT experience again."

But I'd love to meet up with all of them again and take 'em to lunch at least. It would be fun to catch up.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

I loved my best guy friend, we were best friends from 8-14 and we dated from 12 to 14, I know I was really really young. I watched him die of an asthma attack. I know it wasnt the love I can feel now, but it was a different sort of love, that I know him and I will have only ever shared. But my first real love I was 16.

• target
    target

I met my husband at a school dance in our freshman year. Dated all through high school, got married and just had our 40th anniversary.

We were in our mid 20s when we got sucked into the Cult. Been out for 6 years now.

We are coming up on 60 and have spent 2/3 of our lives together.

There was a boy in 8th grade. We went steady. He still sneaks into my dreams now and then............

I wonder if he has had a happy life. I hope so.

Target

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

My first real love happened when I was 18. She was the sister of one of my best friends. I was a jerk and broke up with her in the worst way imaginable. For that I am truly sorry. I was able to tell her this. This is the biggest regret I have in my life.

I don't think she ever forgave me. Sparkplug might know if she did or not.

• serendipity
    serendipity

My crushes were exciting and fun and nerve-wracking at the same time. It was nothing more than infatuation and it's a good thing they didn't go anywhere. I'm a much more tolerant and secure person now. I look forward to the next "crush". They put a pep in my step and a smile on my face.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit