Bought 11 old WT books

by blindersoff 8 Replies latest jw friends

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Went yard saling this morn & found 11 1950's -early '60s books. Even a green Bible. Oh, the memories.

B

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Just the other day I went to local book sale and found 2 older publications. I was hoping for the 192 page 'truth' book and what do you know it wasn't to hard to find! Also got a 'let god be true, 2nd edition'. Allways wanted to read the truth book. I was amazed to see how much of the 'generation' doctrine was in it. They where really converting on fear back in those days. Not that they still don't, but they had more power with the date stuff.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

good find blinders off. are you going to search thru old light and see how things have changed?

theres an older book called " make sure of all things"?

if anyone knows what year it was published?

i keep thinking about that book and cant figure out why..maybe it was studied when i was a kid. i gotta figure out why its buggin me.

maybe cuz of the thought that they'd NEVER title a book that now since the resources are available these days to really MAKE sure of all things lol.

• mustang
    mustang

The 'MS' book came in brown and green; I believe the brown book was dated 1953 (or was it 1958?). I have a brown one at home; I'll check tonight.

The 'Make Sure' is the predecessor of the "Reasoning" book. These books were intended as quick references for the door-door work. They were compact and arranged like a dictionary, with the pertinent scriptures under question-style headings. Some people had them bound in the backs of their Bibles. That made for a really powerful 'beat-em-up-@-the-door' effect.

They were never studied. Of course, I left in 1974, so that may have happened after I left, but I doubt it. Anyway, they were quite dated @ 1974.

Question for Drew-S: I have one truth book, but I have heard there was a major revision. What years were the change in and what editions were they? And what were the changes?

Mustang

• Calliope
    Calliope

i have a few books i'm about to throw out.
    anyone want them?

greatest man book
    knowledge book
    bibles (various sizes)
    daniel
    all recent ones...

i'll mail them if you want. just pm me.

flanks!

cal.

• cathyk
    cathyk

Books from the 1950s on are not that hard to find. The Truth book has to be one of the easiest, since they printed a bazillion copies.

Speaking of old WT books, as I look through my stock I've got 3 that aren't really suitable for sale (dirt, markings, damage, etc.). If anyone wants one for the information inside rather than appearance, I'd be willing to send it on via Media Mail for free. They are:

Make Sure of All Things (1953)

Life Does Have a Purpose (1977)

God's "Eternal Purpose" Now Triumphing for Man's Good (1974) -- As an aside, this one looks as if they mashed a 284 page book into a 192 page format. The print gets a lot smaller after page 47 in mid-chapter!

First come, first served.

Cathy Koenig

Old Lighthouse Books

• cathyk
    cathyk

The Truth book was revised in 1981. The major changes had to do with removing specific references to the mid-1970s.

The Make Sure book was originally published in the brown cover in 1953; the revision is Make Sure of All Things; Hold Fast to What Is Fine, and was issued in 1957. They are indeed the precursors of the Reasoning book, arranged alphabetically by topic.

Cathy Koenig

Old Lighthouse Books

• Jourles
    Jourles

Several years ago, my grandma found the 1918 Commentary on Revelations book at a garage sale and bought it for a quarter. She then sent it to my mom. My mom didn't like the book because it "portrayed Russell almost as if he were an idol." She also fought tooth and nail with me by saying there was no way the WTS could have printed that book due to the whack stuff that was in it. She almost didn't believe the index book either which showed that it was indeed a WTS publication.

In the end, I talked her into sending it to me and selling it for her on Ebay. Not a bad payday either - we got $250 for it.

• cathyk
    cathyk
    In the end, I talked her into sending it to me and selling it for her on Ebay. Not a bad payday either - we got $250 for it.

I'm glad you did well. It sounds as if the person buying it got a true bargain, since it could easily go for twice that or more, depending on condition!

Cathy Koenig

Old Lighthouse Books

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit