Parking tickets

by lost_light06 6 Replies latest jw friends

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

I remember a few years back we use to have to buy parking tickets for the DC. Later I think they made it a “donation” (mandatory, of course). Now they don’t charge for parking at all, in fact all your supposed to have is you ID badge visible so they know you’re a true JW. I always wondered what the purpose was for charging for parking. If the facility owners wanted to charge then just let them deal with it at the gates? Why go through the extra effort, and extra middle-men, by doing it through the congs.? Or was it just a money making scheme?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Or was it just a money making scheme?

Well, duh!

Most venues they hire wouldn't charge for parking, or if they normally did, the Watchtower would bully them into giving them free parking. If they (the WT) then charge their customers for parking, all the money they take in (minus the trivial cost of ticket-printing) is pure tax-free profit!

• Swan
    Swan

Here is a link to the infamous Tacoma Dome scandal.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/3768/1.ashx

• Warlock
    Warlock

My understanding was that the parking was still being run by outside vendors, who didn't have anything to do with the agreement between the venue and the W.T.S.

Warlock

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

Swan: WOW! I was never aware of any Tacoma Dome Scandal. The Tacoma Dome has been home to our convention for years (not this year however). So that's why it was a "donation". I remember one year I never bought a parking ticket and was never asked about it. I felt guilty on the third day and paid for one anyways. Guess I'm a real sucker!

• under_believer
    under_believer

lost_light--did you go to Portland this year, like I did?
    The "badge card as identification" thing is also not really in effect either. They invite the public to the convention; they're not going to turn away people without badge cards. Also many Witnesses lose and/or forget their cards. This year we forgot ours and they didn't bat an eyelash. They don't even ask, or even look.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

Yes mine is/was in portland as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit