How Much The WTS Pays To Print And Distribute Its Magazines Per Item

by garbruce06atyahooo 18 Replies latest jw friends

• garbruce06atyahooo
    garbruce06atyahooo

On another thread I gave a what-if situation using 10 cents per magazine although I'm thinking that with the cost of the printing presses and software factored in it could be more.

Who knows or can give a good estimate?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i'd say that is a very HIGH estimate..

considering the free labor , low quality paper , free art work etc.. i doubt its more than 3 cents per mag.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

forgot to say welcome to the board!

i look forward to your posts.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    considering the free labor , low quality paper , free art work etc.. i doubt its more than 3 cents per mag.

You forget - it's not free labor. It would be free if workers lived on their own and volunteered, but as it is, the society pays for room, board, and most medical expenses. I'd say it's considerably higher than your estimate. Also, the paper may not be the best quality, but they go through hundreds of thousands of dollars of it per day.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

That's the point I was thinking about daniel-p. I remember reading in one of Rays books how he said that in the end the WTS pays the same price for the literature to be printed as they would if they just shipped it all out. Of course, can't blame it for doing it all themselves. Makes for a better image.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.freeminds.org/history/money.htm

This might give an overview from the pre-1990 days from Randy Watters Bethel insight.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Printing and distribution doesn't COST the Society anything! It PAYS!
    They are in the publishing, real estate, and event sponsoring businesses. Everything they do pays, or they don't do it for long.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

in about 1990 it was between 3-4 cents per copy. as per freeminds. look it up . at that time the mag's were sold for .25 cents each about a 600% mark -up. NOT BAD HAH. THAT'S PAPER INK . SLAVE LABOR AND ALL. FIGURE IN 2006 WITH INFLATION . MAYBE .10 CENT'S A COPY.. when a jw offers me 2 mag's i offer a dime and ask for 2 cents change. just to make the point . that's all it costs the wt to print them , and if the jw is donating more they are suckers. john

• beautifulisfree
    beautifulisfree
    You forget - it's not free labor. It would be free if workers lived on their own and volunteered, but as it is, the society pays for room, board, and most medical expenses.

Um...the society pays for nothing. If so then who's pocket does it come out of?? They have volunteer doctors and dentists. Farms where they grow there own food with free labor. And the rest is money they make off the millions of innocent victims of a cult and by putting their money in cigerette companies. I agree with GaryBuss if it doesn't make them loads of cash to line their pockets with..they get rid of it real fast.

• Phil
    Phil

garb...

Regarding the cost of the watchtower magazine. I get a newspaper every day delivered to my front door that costs me $0.46 per copy. The average paper is approximately 35 pages double sides printed with multi color on some of the pages. The pages are 14" x 20" for approximately 70 square feet per copy. (awake alone uses about 9 sq. ft per copy) The paper is newsprint which is similar to the quality of the Watchtower publication. A newspaper requires a large staff of "PAID" reporters as well as many others to complete these papers on time. The stories are not made up as they go along. The population of the area coverage of this paper is about 300,000 homes and busnesses. The personnel of this paper are paid a living wage with benefits. In addition, this company makes a profit.

If the watchtower were to send a dozen copies to each of the 6 million members that would be 72 million copies. Is this per week? Wowee. The cost of 3 cents per copy is indeed excessive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit