Ooops. They're back at the anti-type game.

by scotoma 11 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

I thought it was Ex"Plane"d at the corporate meeting that type-antitypes were finished unless it expressly is stated in the Bible.

From the Feb 22 study article

Question on Paragraph 11- What comparison found at Psalm 122:3,4 could be applied to God's people today?

During the coming time of trouble for this system, we will have to be truly united. The spiritual unity that we will need to have among ourselves could be compared to the physical proximity of houses in ancient Jerusalem. Those dwellings were built so close together that the psalmist described Jerusalem as a "city that is joined together as one." That enabled the inhabitants to help and protect one another. Moreover, their physical closeness could well represent the spiritual unity of the whole nation when all "the tribes of Jah" assembled for worship. Today and in the critical days to come, we likewise need to remain "joined together as one."

While they didn't call this a type/anti-type it's the kind of reasoning that puts the idea on a slippery slope toward that. Especially, is this the case when you see how they over reached in the explanation.They apparently didn't do enough research to understand that Jerusalem's population density was typical of most Middle Eastern Cities that were subject to invasion. They were fortresses with strong walls that limited the space for the inhabitants. Almost all ancient walled cities built their houses tightly against each other.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Almost anything in the Bible that has a dual nature - one thing along with another - can be used as an anti-type. I think, if my memory is correct, Ray Franz gave a list of dozens of types and anti-types from the Watchtower's publications.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    It's because the bible plagiarized so many stories during its creation there it may seem that way because things are the same damn story
  • blondie
    blondie

A SIMPLER, CLEARER APPROACH TO BIBLE NARRATIVES (March 15,

7 If you have been serving Jehovah for decades, you may have noticed a gradual shift in the way our literature explains many of the narratives recorded in the Bible. How so? In times past, it was more common for our literature to take what might be called a type-antitype approach to Scriptural accounts. The Bible narrative was considered the type, and any prophetic fulfillment of the story was the antitype. Is there a Scriptural basis for prophetic pictures? Yes. For instance, Jesus spoke of “the sign of Jonah the prophet.” (Read Matthew 12:39, 40.) Jesus explained that Jonah’s sojourn in the belly of the fish—which would have been Jonah’s grave had Jehovah not preserved him alive—was prophetic of Jesus’ own time in the grave.

8 The Bible contains other inspired prophetic pictures. The apostle Paul discussed a number of them. For example, Abraham’s relationship with Hagar and Sarah provided a prophetic picture of Jehovah’s relationship with the nation of Israel and the heavenly part of God’s organization. (Gal. 4:22-26) Similarly, the tabernacle and the temple, Atonement Day, the high priest, and other facets of the Mosaic Law contained “a shadow of the good things to come.” (Heb. 9:23-25; 10:1) It is fascinating and faith-strengthening to study such prophetic pictures. Can we conclude, though, that every character, event, and object described in the Bible foreshadows someone or something?

9 In the past, such an approach was often taken. Consider, for example, the account about Naboth, whose unjust trial and execution were arranged by wicked Queen Jezebel so that her husband, Ahab, could seize Naboth’s vineyard. (1 Ki. 21:1-16) Back in 1932, that account was explained as a prophetic drama. Ahab and Jezebel were said to picture Satan and his organization; Naboth pictured Jesus; Naboth’s death, then, was prophetic of Jesus’ execution. Decades later, though, in the book “Let Your Name Be Sanctified,” published in 1961, Naboth was said to picture the anointed, and Jezebel was Christendom. Hence, Naboth’s persecution at Jezebel’s hands pictured the persecution of the anointed during the last days. For many years, God’s people found this approach to Bible accounts faith strengthening. Why, then, have things changed?

10 As we might expect, over the years Jehovah has helped “the faithful and discreet slave” to become steadily more discreet. Discretion has led to greater caution when it comes to calling a Bible account a prophetic drama unless there is a clear Scriptural basis for doing so. Additionally, it has been found that some of the older explanations about types and antitypes are unduly difficult for many to grasp. The details of such teachings—who pictures whom and why—can be hard to keep straight, to remember, and to apply. Of even greater concern, though, is that the moral and practical lessons of the Bible accounts under examination may be obscured or lost in all the scrutiny of possible antitypical fulfillments. Thus, we find that our literature today focuses more on the simple, practical lessons about faith, endurance, godly devotion, and other vital qualities that we learn about from Bible accounts.*

King Ahab approaches Naboth in a vineyard
    Naboth’s example teaches us a powerful lesson (See paragraph 11)

11 How, then, do we now understand the account about Naboth? In much clearer, simpler terms. That righteous man died, not because he was a prophetic type of Jesus or of the anointed, but because he was an integrity keeper. He held to Jehovah’s Law in the face of horrific abuse of power. (Num. 36:7; 1 Ki. 21:3) His example thus speaks to us because any one of us may face persecution for similar reasons. (Read 2 Timothy 3:12.) People of all backgrounds can readily understand, remember, and apply such a faith-strengthening lesson.

12 Should we conclude that Bible narratives have only a practical application and no other meaning? No. Today our publications are more likely to teach that one thing reminds us of or serves to illustrate another. They are less likely to present many Bible accounts in a rigid framework of prophetic types and antitypes. For example, we can rightly say that Naboth’s integrity in the face of persecution and death reminds us of the integrity of Christ and his anointed. However, we can also be reminded of the faithful stand of many of the Lord’s “other sheep.” Such a clear and simple comparison has the hallmark of divine teaching.*

---------------------------------I thought it was FRED Franz that originated types/antitypes.

• sir82
    sir82

"There are no types / anti-types in the Bible, unless we say that there are, in which case there are."

There, hopefully that makes it clearer for ya.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Their most famous type/anti-type is the "seven times" is Nebuchadnezzar's tree dream where his insanity for 7 years is compared to the gentile nations' 2520 years of rule until 1914.

They're not going to get rid of that one for a great while if ever.

• SAHS
    SAHS

I have my own personal example of what I think is a valid Biblical type/antitype: 1 Samuel 21:12-15, which says, “David . . . became very much afraid of King Achish of Gath. So he disguised his sanity in their presence and acted insane while among them. He was making marks on the doors of the gate and letting his saliva run down his beard. Finally Achish said to his servants: ‘You see that this man is crazy! Why bring him to me? Do I have a shortage of crazy men that I need to have this one acting crazy before me? . . .’”

I firmly believe that this well typifies the Watchtower governing body in our time, because they seat themselves up on the throne supposedly as representatives of God’s sole organization on earth but they have been acting narcissistically, impulsively, erratically, capriciously, licentiously, delusional . . . crazy . . . right from the get-go, and really nothing has changed there!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    OR, they could be wiggling their way into communes. Made the spiritual closeness connection, but why not just be direct? They lived on top of one another. . . there's an idea! If everyone sold their homes an lived together on a small piece of property, they could donate all their equity to the org. . . .
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

The waters of the flood are the "type" and the waters of

baptism are the "anti type", 1 Peter 3:20-21.

How sick is that.....

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Their most famous type/anti-type is the "seven times" is Nebuchadnezzar's tree dream where his insanity for 7 years is compared to the gentile nations' 2520 years of rule until 1914.

This was one of those things where when I was a teenager who wanted badly to believe, the explanation in the Live Forever book made a lot of sense.

A year or two later I revisited that story in its proper context during a personal reading of the book of Daniel and for the life of me I couldn't understand how that dream applied to something other than the 7 years Nebuchadnezzar spent in madness. The bible was very clear about the dream and its application, but somehow we were supposed to take at face value that the tree represented god's kingdom, the chopping down of the tree the destruction of the second temple, the seven years seven times, blah, blah.

It's an incoherent mess and the only explanation they can offer up is "because we say so."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit