Books

by Wordly Andre 2 Replies latest social humour

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I don’t know if anyone here has a similar story like this but when I was a kid my parents did not allow any worldly books in our house the only ones were JW books. One time back in the 5th grade I had to do a book report and my teacher gave us all a list of books that we could pick one to do the report. The idea was to go to the local library or simply buy the book. When I asked my parents they made me do the book report on the My book of bible stories, (I think that’s what it was called, Yellow book) anyway I got into trouble with my teacher, my parents got angry and went down to the school and made a big deal and forced the teacher to accept my book report. Anyhow, it all ends with me having to stand in front of the class looking like an idiot reading my lame ass book report that my mother mostly wrote. I don’t see how any religion can go that far as to not let kids read books, I wouldn’t be surprised if JW’s have secret book burnings, As an adult I am proud of my home library, love to read any book as long as it doesn’t come from WJ’s.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Andre... geez... you really had it rough. That behavior goes well beyond what the Society demands. Most people I knew growing up, including myself, could have non-Witness books in their house.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I always had lots of books around, and my boys had lots of books. Your parents were being unreasonable and stupid. The WTS books are not even well written. I always encouraged ready, but even to day my sons read as little as possible. Some families had their kids read the school books recommended and other like your were just stupid and insisted using WTS publications.

Balsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit