I almost bought a flag......

by AK - Jeff 30 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    As a matter of fact, I wasn't waiting. It was just bed-time. Besides, I've already heard bigoted remarks from you before (see the Zidane thread for example). Your kid's got a French name? I don't know what it proves (if it proved anything at all) but it certainly doesn't make a pro-french out of you judging by what you have posted before. You must have noticed that my English is better than your French. Why is that? Because I am a curious person and I have always been fascinated by the American culture. That was my prime motivation. I even have tons of relatives in the USA (my grand-mother and her brothers were born in the US). Like in every country, there are good things and bad things in the US. That's the most bigoted remark you will ever get from me, "buddy". Having said that, I must say that I don't believe any nation is worth dying for, nor any flag is sacred. Nations, like people, are born then they die. Sooner or later, nobody will ever remember that France or even the USA had existed. It will take time, sure, but it will happen. However, I would fight to protect those I love from an invader, for example, and I would die rather than let a soldier hurt someone I love but I wouldn't fight in a war because a government says it would protect "freedom", or because the other side is "evil". Those words are usually used in a not-so-subtle propaganda destined to get recruits who think they'll become "heroes". If there's one thing I've learnt from my JW experience it's this: It's so easy to have people do or believe what you want them to do or believe AND have them think they're proud and happy about it.

There is the holier-than-thou European attitude. More of the same. I would print that post out and use it for birdcageliner but it would be a waste of good ink & paper.

What, that I was happy that the French lost? That makes me anti-French? Whatever! I was happy that a number of countries lost, and what exactly does that prove? Take whatever you are smoking, package it and sell. You might make a million or two.

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

This conversation is getting pretty boring but I'll just answer to your post, XJW4EVR.

There is the holier-than-thou European attitude.

Are you trying to invent an anti-European cliché?

OK... Statistics and European policies are quite clear: Europe is much, much more secular than the USA. So holier-than-thou... yeah, right...

Oh, maybe you say this because I refuse to attack the American people as a whole while you can't help offending the European people. Let me remind you that many Native Americans still call Caucasians "Europeans". Do you hate them too? What about Middle-Eastern peoples? Canadians? Russians? Latinos? I'm sure you couldn't possibly be honest and say that you like them all. Why? Because of your nationalist's prejudices.
    Your mock brain works like this: this European guy has a holier-than-thou attitude. So the EUROPEAN must all have a holier-than-thou attitude. It's typically European.

Holier-than-thou? Not at all (consult an ENGLISH dictionary, "buddy"). More tolerant than you, XJW4EVR? Most definitely.

I would print that post out and use it for birdcageliner but it would be a waste of good ink & paper.

Is that your idea of a subtle offense? Because it's neither subtle, nor offending. It's the kind of insults one could hear in schoolyards.

What, that I was happy that the French lost? That makes me anti-French? Whatever!

Aren't you a little young to show the first signs of Alzheimer's disease? Allow me to refresh your memory:

Zidane wanted out of the game? In other words he surrendered. Which is pretty much on par with much of France's behavior during the 20th century.(tongue-out smiley)

Seriously, though, the fact that the French lost was more satisfying to me than anything else.

Remember now? I didn't know Alzheimers could be so convenient. But it doesn't explain everything: Since when headbutting a guy who has insulted you equals surrendering? You sound so knowledgeable about history. Are you referring to the Nazi occupation. My grandparents told me about that. Do you have any idea what it feels like to have your whole country controlled by military forces of a foreign power? To have soldiers in every street, yelling at you words you don't even understand and entering uninvited your house whenever they want? Let's ask the Iraqi (for example) what it feels like. Boom! Oh, I think the answer is quite clear.

Take whatever you are smoking, package it and sell. You might make a million or two.

Another tastelessly showy schoolyard insult. I didn't expect better from you.

Back to the (very sensitive) topic: Let's ask a great American man what he thinks about Nationalism. Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. -- Albert Einstein In case you've never heard of him, XJW4EVR, he was a guy with a real brain.
  • beautifulisfree
    beautifulisfree

Here AKJEFF you can borrow mine-

US Flag Image Hope it doesn't give you the creeps. I think its okay to be proud of the country youre from. To be glad that you have freedom. But, not to deny those freedoms to others.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    This conversation is getting pretty boring but I'll just answer to your post, XJW4EVR.

There is the holier-than-thou European attitude.

Are you trying to invent an anti-European cliché?

OK... Statistics and European policies are quite clear: Europe is much, much more secular than the USA. So holier-than-thou... yeah, right...

Oh, maybe you say this because I refuse to attack the American people as a whole while you can't help offending the European people. Let me remind you that many Native Americans still call Caucasians "Europeans". Do you hate them too? What about Middle-Eastern peoples? Canadians? Russians? Latinos? I'm sure you couldn't possibly be honest and say that you like them all. Why? Because of your nationalist's prejudices.

Your mock brain works like this: this European guy has a holier-than-thou attitude. So the EUROPEAN must all have a holier-than-thou attitude. It's typically European.

Holier-than-thou? Not at all (consult an ENGLISH dictionary, "buddy"). More tolerant than you, XJW4EVR? Most definitely.

I would print that post out and use it for birdcageliner but it would be a waste of good ink & paper.

Is that your idea of a subtle offense? Because it's neither subtle, nor offending. It's the kind of insults one could hear in schoolyards.

What, that I was happy that the French lost? That makes me anti-French? Whatever!

Aren't you a little young to show the first signs of Alzheimer's disease? Allow me to refresh your memory:

Zidane wanted out of the game? In other words he surrendered. Which is pretty much on par with much of France's behavior during the 20th century.(tongue-out smiley)

Seriously, though, the fact that the French lost was more satisfying to me than anything else.
    Remember now? I didn't know Alzheimers could be so convenient. But it doesn't explain everything: Since when headbutting a guy who has insulted you equals surrendering? You sound so knowledgeable about history. Are you referring to the Nazi occupation. My grandparents told me about that. Do you have any idea what it feels like to have your whole country controlled by military forces of a foreign power? To have soldiers in every street, yelling at you words you don't even understand and entering uninvited your house whenever they want? Let's ask the Iraqi (for example) what it feels like. Boom! Oh, I think the answer is quite clear.
    Take whatever you are smoking, package it and sell. You might make a million or two.
    Another tastelessly showy schoolyard insult. I didn't expect better from you. Back to the (very sensitive) topic: Let's ask a great American man what he thinks about Nationalism. Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. -- Albert Einstein In case you've never heard of him, XJW4EVR, he was a guy with a real brain.

I would have responded earlier, but your post made laugh too hard to respond coherently.

I did think about responding, however, my response would have been laden wwith more sarcastic humor which you obviously don't get. Not supriseng considering the French fascination with the bufoonery and low-brow humor of Jerry Lewis. So I'll leave it where it lies.

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

Pathetic.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I think Xjw4evr and Dave_T should have a meeting with the elders. :-) xjw4evr, you know us Americans should be a little embarrassed, after all the JW's started here in America, we messed up the world. ha, ha, ha,

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    I think Xjw4evr and Dave_T should have a meeting with the elders. :-) xjw4evr, you know us Americans should be a little embarrassed, after all the JW's started here in America, we messed up the world. ha, ha, ha,

I agree, though I think introducing the culinary world to snails and frog legs is a close second.

Though champagne & brie may make up for those "edibles."

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I actually love French food, Coq au Vin, foie gras or any pate, and come on Chicken cordon bleu rocks, (forgive me if I misspelled I don't speak french)They gave us Edith Piaf, I love her music although don't understand a thing she says. I think their only shame is Jean Claude Van Dam, I hate his movies and I agree I don't like French salad dressing I prefer Blue cheese.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I still don't know how I feel about nationalism - I still think it is a dangerous ploy in which bloodshed gets justification at times when it is unwarranted - but my feelings of patriotism are rising a little bit for the first time in my life. I don't want to be associated with all the bad that comes from that emotion - I don't want to hate others because they live in another country. Or because my government calls them the enemy in times of warfare

I come down closer to this part of the original post. I just don't trust the politicians to make judgements on my behalf. I am sure that we should see ourselves as citizens of the world, not of individual areas formed by politics.

I am, however, becoming more tolerant of those who think differently, such is the effect of this board.

BTW fullofdoubtnow spoke of displaying an England flag during the world cup tournament. I did that too, but that (to me) was purely football , not nationalism . I think everybody sees it as supporting the team, The national flag is the Union Jack, I would not fly one of those.

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

Hi Wordly Andre, Actually, Jean-Claude Van Damme is Belgian (In Belgium they speak both French and Dutch). Van Damme has a slight Belgian accent when he speaks French. I don't think many people like his films even in Belgium. In France he is most known for using a mixture of French and English in interviews, substituting the French words he seems to have forgotten with English words. Memorable Van Damme quote: "Je suis aware." France, as every nation, has disgraced itself many times. But I still think only governments are fully accountable for what nations did. A citizen shouldn't be embarrassed because of what the governement or compatriots have done. As BluesBrothers said, we should see ourselves as citizens of the world. I've never heard an interview with Van Damme in English. I was wondering: Is his English as mediocre as his French?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit