Do you express your emotions?

by greendawn 21 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

Do you find it easy to express your emotions or do you tend to lock them up and conceal them? Women are of course better than men in venting their emotions even if by crying something that men are not supposed to do except under extreme circumstances that create great emotional upheaval eg death of spouse.

Southern Europeans are also better at expressing emotion than northern Europeans.

I often find it hard to express emotions and that can create frustration but then I release it through social contact and laughter.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Well I lean towards being hotblooded and effusive, but I'm going out with a Scottishman who is quite frosty, so I tend to have to bottle it up a lot. (Then when I drink the bottle it inevitably comes pouring out anyway and wo is anyone who gets in the way!)

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    (Then when I drink the bottle it inevitably comes pouring out anyway and wo is anyone who gets in the way!)

Did someone whisper Little Toes name about somewhere?!

Hmmn must have been the wind...or his vibrating phone for that matter.

DB74

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I've often heard therapist and the like say that emotionally healthy people deal with their emotions spot on, current and in the right mode ie; on a sad occasion they cry or express sadness.

often find it hard to express emotions and that can create frustration but then I release it through social contact and laughter.

How many time have you heard someone giggle at the most inappropriate times? Laughter and crying are acceptable emotional displays. Some people laugh at everything others cry at Hallmark commercials, all of this is misplaced emotions indicating you haven't dealt with emotions properly in the past. Pay attention to these kind of things and you'll get a better indication of how you deal with life in general.

For myself I try to be current with my feelings and emotions, but sometimes find myself in the shock of the moment speechless, I bet we all do that to some extent.

I have also lately found myself non reactive in situations where I don't need to expend or express myself, I am thinking I'm just feeling overwhelmed with life in general and am conserving energy to what I must attend to in my life.....sigh.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    others cry at Hallmark commercials, all of this is misplaced emotions indicating you haven't dealt with emotions properly in the past.

but its okay to cry at Hallmark movies - right?

• juni
    juni

Yes. I am not passive/aggressive. I don't feel that is being loving by playing games w/someone's emotions. Just get it out and talk about it.

Juni

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    but its okay to cry at Hallmark movies - right?

LOL I hope so cuz I sure do!

• Terry
    Terry

Perhaps this will be viewed as a very dry answer, but; here goes anyway.

Emotions stem directly from our values.

Emotions are involuntary physical manifestations of our values.

A valuation has a positive and a negative connotation. So do our emotions.

If we are unclear about what/why we value our emotional reactions are equally befuddling to us.

Confusions such as this lead us to try and supress certain emotions. We end up living a double life: one counterfeit and the other guardedly supressed.

When I was an active Jehovah's Witness I had two sets of values: Public and Private. The Public values were JW conditioned. The Private values were my human individual needs. One was based on fantasy and wishful thinking. The other was based on reality.

When those two sets of values came into conflict I was forced to pretend to the publicly correct emotions and to supress the private ones.

I would assert to you that this is a huge problem with the brothes and sisters who are conflicted in life down at the local Kingdom Hall.

Now I can trust that I am expressing an authentic emtion which follows naturally from my chosen set of values as an individual with my own mind.

There is no need to be confused nor to supress anything. It is largely a question of self-moderation in a healthy way.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Simon and Garfunkel

A winters day

In a deep and dark december;

I am alone,

Gazing from my window to the streets below

On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.

I am a rock,

I am an island.

Ive built walls,

A fortress deep and mighty,

That none may penetrate.

I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.

Its laughter and its loving I disdain.

I am a rock,

I am an island.

Dont talk of love,

But Ive heard the words before;

Its sleeping in my memory.

I wont disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.

If I never loved I never would have cried.

I am a rock,

I am an island.

I have my books

And my poetry to protect me;

I am shielded in my armor,

Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.

I touch no one and no one touches me.

I am a rock,

I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;

And an island never cries.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Up until 5 years ago I was cold, didnt care and couldnt display any emotion whether it be anger or happiness; friends described what they saw as ice behind the eyes; unfeeling and devoid of any real emotion at all. I know now it was a product of the circumstances I was in.

Understanding that emotions were not a sign of weakness and were natural for any man was a massive breakthrough given that history and circumstances had tried to teach me differently on several sustained occasions. I changed my circumstances and I changed my outlook and things became gradually easier for me.

I dont profess to be an overly emotional person because I am not; but my emotional intelligence and my control over my emotional state has developed to being what I feel is more balanced and I am willing to 'let people in' more these days.

DB74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit