Are high gas prices affecting Pioneers?

by truthseeker 22 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    But there was always one or two pioneers who took the privilege of the riding in service for free to a new level. They would always ask if the driver "could take a short detour" to pick up something for them or if, after service, the driver could carry them to a store "nearby". Usually, "short detour" or "nearby" was way out of the way.

undercover, I forgot that some pioneers did that. When it was my car and I was driving, I would let those people know that I had no time for personal errands while out in service. It meant some people never went in my car.

Blondie

• RachelHall
    RachelHall

If the pioneers could only realize they are publishers for the Watchtower and NOT Jehovah....they could at least ask the WTS to reimburse them for gas and wear and tear on their vehicles OR provide a mini bus or two. The WTS is such a SCAM!

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Not in my congregation since the majority of the pioneers are quite well off. In my cong its apparently ok to be materialistic as long as you pioneer.

• undercover
    undercover
    Not in my congregation since the majority of the pioneers are quite well off. In my cong its apparently ok to be materialistic as long as you pioneer.

Reminds me of one congregation that was made up of primarily "well-to-do" folks. Even the pioneers had money. The standard joke about that congregation was, "you can always tell who the pioneer's are...they drive a used Mercedes."

I would let those people know that I had no time for personal errands while out in service. It meant some people never went in my car.
    Yea...make it clear that you won't be used and all of a sudden the majority of the group doesn't seem to be able to work with you anymore...hmmm
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I wonder if gas prices will change the definition of a "theocratic car" to include sub-compact two-door cars.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

The solution is very simple:

like we do here, use the bike to preach. That will cost less and also take more time, which means more hours for having less doors to do.

when I was pionering I walked to all teretories, including the so called country side terrerories (outside the city)

Danny

• blondie
    blondie

So, Danny, how many miles do the publishers spend in field service in one day?

There are many miles between houses in the rurals here and in some areas few little towns.

Bike riding is not an option for the elderly unless they are in good condition.

I tried bike riding in field service in the US and was considered odd, strange, rebellious, isolationist (because no one else wanted to use a bike).

Blondie

Sorry, people ride to work but at the risk of their lives and I live in a bicycle friendly area. Have you ever visited the rural areas of the US?

• undercover
    undercover
    The solution is very simple:

like we do here, use the bike to preach. That will cost less and also take more time, which means more hours for having less doors to do.

Oh, man...you just made me have a flashback.

Back in the 70s during the "energy crisis" when gas prices started soaring (if you can call 90 cents soaring)...it was rumored that we were running out of gas. People spent hours sitting in lines at gas stations waiting for a tank of gas.

Well, a couple of people in our congregation, elders, of course, thought that this was one the great signs of Armageddon and that soon we'd no longer have cars soon and we'd have to all walk. So, these enterprising elders started taking orders from all the brothers in the hall for bicycles. Yep, the elders were already figuring out how to accomplish our ministry from a bicycle instead of a car and, by God, they were gonna make a buck off of it.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Hi Blondie,

We walked mostly about 10 to 15 km a day in total.

It is actually encourages, because when walking only you can talk to people on the streets that you pass (not that I did this). What is more difficult with a car.....

we started early and walked in the center of the city.
    with the bike we cycled for 30 minutes to 45 mintes to the therretories which were the most far. With nice weather only.

Of course in countries with a lower population density like the u.s.a. it is more inconvinient. Were I live there are no mountains, no hills. And it saves the environment.

So lot of pipneers go with bike / walking, even if they have cars.

DB

• orangeyougladimhear
    orangeyougladimhear

if so my brother will need my mom to suport him

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit