A Different JW Viewpoint

by Nicodemus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Nicodemus
    Nicodemus

I have seen reference here to some of the posts on witnessesonline.com (WOL) in response to the horrific events of yesterday, September 11, 2001.

Please allow me to express a few different thoughts.

First of all, what happened yesterday was, just as President Bush described it, “despicable.”

In making this attack, the attackers showed complete and utter disregard for human life. Those who commandeered the plane, knowing their ultimate goal, had no consideration for their own lives. Additionally, they had no regard whatsoever for the lives of the innocent people aboard those planes. It’s one thing to give your own life for something you believe in, it’s another to think you have some right to take others with you.

In terms of numbers, even more frightening is their disrespect for the lives of those in the Pentagon, and the World Trade Center towers.

And it seems clear that those who planned this were highly skilled, and knew exactly what they were doing. The fact that the planes they hijacked were headed to the West coast, and were thus heavily laden with fuel, as just one example. It would seem that the precision with which they were flown into the buildings was calculated. It also seems likely that the group had input from professionals who factored in the effects that amount of jet fuel would have on the steel of the building once it caught fire.

Prayer, Love and Concern – For Whom?
    I would like to address briefly one thing about the response from some of my fellow JWs, though, which disturbs me.

It’s the matter of whom we pray for, and are concerned about.

I have seen much written about praying for our brothers, fellow Witnesses who were affected by these events. In and of itself, that is certainly a good thing, and perhaps a natural response. After all, I suspect most people, when they hear of something like this, are first concerned for family members and close friends. This is only natural. And, since Jehovah’s Witnesses consider themselves a worldwide brotherhood, or family, concern for their own is not necessarily surprising, or inappropriate.

However, love, care and concern should then extend much further than that. It should extend to others, really all who were affected.

So, let’s pray for everyone who was negatively affected by this tragedy, not just fellow Witnesses. There are scores of grieving individuals out there right now, suffering indescribable agony. It’s true that many likely are not active worshipers of God. Likely, some affected don’t even believe in God.

So what?

Perhaps some expressions of the Apostles Paul and John are worth pondering:

(John 3:16) “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.

(Romans 5:8) But God recommends his own love to us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

(1 John 4:10) The love is in this respect, not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent forth his Son as a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins.

If God waited until people accepted him before reaching out to them, perhaps we’d have a basis for doing the same.

But he didn’t. So why should we?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Your thoughts show that you're a good man and a good Christian, Nicodemus.

Why do you stay with a religion that produces so many who hold opposite values?

AlanF

• ArgCampeon
    ArgCampeon

I agree. We should pray for everyone so that they can be consoled in this time of grief. I also pray that they can find the way to eternal life and that Jehovah remember those that never had a chance to hear the good news.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Nicodemus, your response here is the type of response I would expect from anyone calling themselves Christian. Prayers, sympathy and compassion should go out to all those whose lives were affected by this tragedy.

So many JWs, however, seem to feel that the deaths of any non-JWs are superfluous and of no concern to them. This attitude is horrendous, and it is reminiscent of the attitude of the terrorists themselves....nothing is of more importance than their "cause".

This is not the time for JWs to gloat about "Jehovah's destruction" upon the worldly people, but is rather the time when all of us should do whatever we can for our fellow men in whatever small way we can....even if it is simply by offering our prayers or our support to those most affected.

Thank you for your comments.

• BOC
    BOC

Nicodemus,

Thank you for your comments and true Christian attitude.

I for one can not understand the attitude of some of Jehovah's Witnesses toward such tragedies as this.

I would like to pass on my experience with our local book study last evening. The concern by all that attended seemed to be genuine and heart felt for all the victims and their families. Both the opening and closing prayers included comments and petitions on behalf of all the victims and their families. I know the brothers offering the prayers meant for this to include everyone because they added comments asking that our effected brothers also be aided by Jehovah's spirit.

I too have spoken with a few JW's that have made comments that I thought were harsh and unchristian. I make no excuse for such ones.

I have and will continue to pray for all those that have been effected by this tragedy.

Your Brother
    boc

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Nicodemus quoted the following:

(Romans 5:8) But God recommends his own love to us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

I have to ask, is it REALLY death if you get to come back in three days?

Silverleaf
    wishing all those who lost their lives needlessly could come back in three days.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Nicodemus,

You have a good out look, and your concern is so untypical of JW.

Maybe you will leave the JW religion.
    Maybe more feel like you also and they will leave too.

• Nicodemus
    Nicodemus

I would like to thank all who have replied to my post.

The intent of my posting was simple. Much has been made of certain comments posted on websites such as WOL regarding the view of Witnesses with respect to the horrific events of the past days.

I have to say that I find it ironic that some of the “conclusions” regarding Jehovah’s Witnesses in response to these comments have come from intelligent individuals who are proponents of the scientific method, and requiring that arguments be supported by facts and figures.

And yet, the comments of 20-30 individuals, in one very limited forum, are presented as “evidence” that such represent the mindset of all, or at least the majority of individuals in a group that numbers 6 million individuals worldwide? How scientific is that? Those with some history on the web may recall that the group of individuals that make up WOL are largely those of a certain mindset that originally posted on Obed Fernandez’ site, witnesses.net. And they may further recall that other Witnesses on that site disagreed with certain “narrow”, or what I’ll refer to as “fundamentalist” viewpoints they expressed.

I’m one of the ones that have a different view, which I posted above. I put what I said together rather quickly, so likely it isn’t the most eloquent thing ever written. Truth be told, I could go on for pages and pages about my own personal feelings regarding this truly horrific event. But, crude as it may have been, I think I have written enough to make clear what my own personal viewpoint is regarding the concern that all Jehovah’s Witnesses should have for all their fellow men and women.

I realize full well that certain teachings of the WTB&TS over the years have contributed to an “us vs. them” mentality that is now prevalent in many of my brothers and sisters. I also know that attempts have been made in print recently to start the process of reversing that mentality. They are but a start, and I dare say the message still gets muddy and conflicted at times, but it is a start, and I applaud it, as does virtually every thinking JW with whom I am in contact.

I join with BOC in saying a prayer for all who have been affected by this tragedy.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds
    And yet, the comments of 20-30 individuals, in one very limited forum, are presented as “evidence” that such represent the mindset of all, or at least the majority of individuals in a group that numbers 6 million individuals worldwide? How scientific is that?

Nah, it's not just the comments of 20 or 30 individuals, it's the mindset of the organization as a whole. I was born and raised as a Jehovah's witness, and this belief system is ingrained in you from the you are a babe. Unfortuantely it's not just a few radicals making wild statements.

BW

"The important thing is to not stop questioning" Albert Einstein

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

I recall Ray Franz saying in one of his books that the truly good, kind people who showed true christ-like personalities didn't do so BECAUSE they were witnesses, they did so in SPITE of being witnesses.
    So very true.

"The important thing is to not stop questioning" Albert Einstein

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit