baptizing the very young

by Quandry 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Quandry
  • Quandry
    Quandry

Well, I have to make a reply to my own new topic because I made a mistake and tried to delete the first message but was apparantly unsuccessful. Well, anyway...

I will have to go against the tirade everyone has made against young people getting baptized young.

There are benefits to this arrangement:

1. In some halls there are not enough elders. If a boy is baptized at 8 or 9, by the time he is 13 he has several years of experience. He could then be made elder, thereby relieving the burdens of some of the aged.

2. At the Society's headquarters, they are looking for fresh new workers to replace the old ones. Perhaps boys and girls could be sent to Bethel as young as 10 or 11, since they have been baptized for a few years. Then, the old ones of say, 28 or 29 could be sent home. After all, younger ones eat less food, don't need cars since they can' t drive, and are not hormonal yet. Remember, before child labor laws were in place in this country, young ones were prized. Nimble little fingers and all.

3. Think of the excellent Judicial Committee members these young boys would make. They would be fine examples in the congregation to counsel others, since at 11 or 12 it is fairly certain that they have never been involved in immorality or any other vices and could be in a better position to counsel, having never been involved in sins of any kind.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

CHILDREN OF THE CORN!!! )(

INQ

• parakeet
    parakeet

Excellent suggestions, Quandry!
    Your post was written in the same satirical spirit as Jonathan Swift's 1729 "A Modest Proposal," in which he suggested an extremely practical solution to the Irish famine:

"I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.
    "I profess, in the sincerity of my heart, that I have not the least personal interest in endeavoring to promote this necessary work, having no other motive than the public good of my country, by advancing our trade, providing for infants, relieving the poor, and giving some pleasure to the rich."

At least JWs don't eat their young ..... yet.

• Odrade
    Odrade

rotfl!

• Quandry
    Quandry

What does rotfl mean? Is this a good thing? I hope it is. As you can see from my post, I like to look for the positive!

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

(R)olling (O)n (T)he (F)loor (L)aughing

• delilah
    delilah

At the Society's headquarters, they are looking for fresh new workers to replace the old ones. Perhaps boys and girls could be sent to Bethel as young as 10 or 11, since they have been baptized for a few years. Then, the old ones of say, 28 or 29 could be sent home. After all, younger ones eat less food, don't need cars since they can' t drive, and are not hormonal yet. Remember, before child labor laws were in place in this country, young ones were prized. Nimble little fingers and all.

I'll bet they want the young ones at Bethel.....gag me. Do you honestly think these young ones want to be ripped from their families, to go and work, and live in such sterile, robotic atmospheres? Where they wouldn't see their parents for months at a time, or longer? It is not a life for any child, they need to play, not work. Thank God they have laws to protect our children.

When I was young, I personally knew a boy who was baptized at 9 years old. He had his youth taken away from him, because he had a lot of responsibility at too young of an age. He left the "truth" when he was in his 20's, because he couldn't handle it.

• parakeet
    parakeet

delilah,
    ***Do you honestly think these young ones want to be ripped from their families, to go and work, and live in such sterile, robotic atmospheres? Where they wouldn't see their parents for months at a time, or longer?***

Quandry was being s-a-t-i-r-i-c-a-l, delilah.

• Undecided
    Undecided

That's not necessarily true. I was baptised at 7 and had already been involved in sex with a cousin. Not bragging, just stating a fact.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit