Scriptures You Will Not Hear at the 09-07-06 Church Sermon.

by scout575 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scout575
    scout575

"But now I have written unto you NOT TO KEEP COMPANY, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one NO NOT TO EAT." ( 1 Corinthians 5:11 )

"A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition REJECT." ( Titus 3:10 )

"If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, RECEIVE HIM NOT into your house, NEITHER BID HIM GOD SPEED: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his EVIL DEEDS." ( 2 John 10,11 )

Tragic policies.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Scout

Why do you call these "Tragic policies"? These verses are talked about in many churches.

• scout575
    scout575

Deputy Dog: I call them, 'tragic policies' because of the great harm that the implementation of them has caused to many ex-Christians. We are all familiar with the sadness felt by many shunned ex-JWs; this same sadness is felt by many shunned ex-churchgoers. How tragic.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I someone insists on being named a christian, but persists in extortion, greed, slander, and promotes a gospel that is not that of Christ, but follows and idol, well, don't support it, stay clear, don't take that way to heart.

It's pretty basic.

Apart from a couple of extremist sects I can't think of others who shun those who at one time called themselves brother.

I ask - what do you believe these phrases to mean ?

• NOT TO KEEP COMPANY
    • NOT TO EAT with
    • REJECT
    • RECEIVE HIM NOT into your house
    • BID HIM GOD SPEED

Perhaps the tradgedy is that people apply spiritual teachings to ways of the flesh

• NOT TO KEEP COMPANY - support in spiritual bond
  • NOT TO EAT with - eat God
  • REJECT - the spiritual teaching
  • RECEIVE HIM NOT into your house - ie. your heart (where you shut the door when you pray)
  • Somehow I think one can care for another and yet avoid these things - let alone someone who doesn't even claim to be your spiritual brother.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Scout

Before you go condemning all churches, why don't you find out how many (most) churches apply them, the way they where intended.

It's not the verses, it's the way the WT applies them.

• scout575
    scout575

Deputy Dog: I am in no way condemning all churches. Its quite clear that some churches are not interested in shunning Christians who leave Christianity for whatever reason. However the above NT sanctions are for all to see. Shunning is a NT policy, applied by some churches to the great misery of many ex-Christians. Tragic.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Scout

My point is, the verses aren't "Tragic" it's the wrong application that's "Tragic".

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Scout

...applied by some churches to the great misery of many ex-Christians.

Do you really think there is such a thing as an "ex-Christian"? I don't!

• shar212
    shar212

I thought only the 144,000 were considered Christ brothers/God's sons? Can someone correct me if I am wrong.

• scout575
    scout575

Deputy Dog: Yes, I did understand that you feel that it is the misapplication of the above verses that leads to misery rather than the texts themselves. I have to respectfully disagree. If I were still a Bible-believing Christian I might wonder why God had had the above verses written in such an ambiguous way so as to lead many Christians to believe that they do sanction the practise of shunning, whilst leading other Christians to sincerely believe that they don't.

I certainly do believe that there is such a thing as an ex-Christian. I am one of them. Any look at ex-Christian websites and message boards will reveal that there are countless former, genuine, heartfelt Christians. Just like many ex-JWs, they just don't believe in it any more.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit