When trying to talk to a JW what is the best method?

by omerp 32 Replies latest jw friends

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

When I was a JW, the ways of talking that reached me and/or made me think were:
    Honest. Brief. Respectful. Loving. Humorous/humble.

Come to think of it, those are the ways of talking that reach me now, too. :)

Or, you might try talking LOUDER and SLOWER. I've seen people do that a lot with people from other cult(ure)s. :D

• Gill
    Gill

Sadly JWs do NOT want 'Truth'. They can't take reality and fantasy for them is the best way to live. So be it.

They have to wake themselves up. You cannot do it!

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

If it is true that JW's do not want "truth" or "reality"
    then I wonder where all these xjws came from.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Simple statements of opposing beliefs or perspectives are duly noted:

I remember a woman said to me with her shaky voice "I think you guys are brainwashed."

I remember a man said to me "I've looked into it. It isn't for me."

• cheeseman
    cheeseman

I needed my own doubts to set in before I sought an exit from the org. The more rational people's arguments were against the WTS, the more it annoyed me and the cognitive dissonance kicked in. It was only after examining how unhappy I was in the "truth" that I became honest with myself and I began the questioning from within.

Once I found the Internet there was no stopping me

• Gill
    Gill

SPaznik - That's how they became XJWS - they woke up! I was one for forty years. I know. One day, you either 'go down into mental oblivion' with the bOrg or you wake up! It has to be YOUR choice.

NO ONE could ever have convinced me, before that, that the WTBTS was just a book publishing company, holding out empty promises to its slaves.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Watching the Dateline Show on child abuse in the witness organization was the first time I was able to listen to something negative - and hear it exactly for what it was - THE TRUTH. This show did an absolutely wonder job of explaining the procedures in the organization and shine the light on just how impossible it would be for a child molester to be properly punished for the crime. My husband, myself and my son watched it in awe - sat back and said "wow" - what now?

The only thing that bothered me then was hearing the organization referred to as a cult - it's another one of those trigger words - but fortunately, it didn't to turn me off from actually "hearing" what they had to say. I would recommend getting a copy of this show, if it's available, and having them watch it - of course, they may refuse because there's an "APOSTATE" on there. Apostates really are very dangerous people, they can open your eyes to the truth!

• whyizit
    whyizit

Books I highly recommend:

Anything by Randy Watters (See free minds web site.)

By Steven Hassan: Combatting Cult Mind Control and Releasing The Bonds

By David Reed: Jehovah's Witnesses Answered Verse By Verse and How to Rescue Your Loved One From The Watchtower

By Ron Rhodes: Reasoning From The Scriptures with the Jehovah's Witnesses

My personal favorite: By Wilbur Lingle--Approaching Jehovah's Witnesses In Love

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

One thing has helped me - the publication from Watchman Fellowship. "Jehovah's Witnesses and the Dating Game." Great thing to use to point out all the Watchtower error dates.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Try "dub-whispering." You know, similar to that horse-whispering thing they do to tame horses down and make them come eat a carrot out of your hand. Be sure to speak softly, use easy-to-understand words, and always but always, have a tranquilizer gun handy just in case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit