CANVASING AT FUNERALS

by badboy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

did it happen?

• unique1
    unique1

Not at funerals as such. Many around here will drive the cemetary and see if there are any visitors. If there are, they get out of the car, go up to the individuals, say I am sorry for your loss, I think this tract on What happens to our dead loved ones will help. Then they walk away and get back in the car.

• blondie
    blondie

Some JWs put out their brochure, When Someone You Love Dies, for the non-JW attendees. Some have done that without the permission of the non-JW or ex-JW family.

km 8/98 p. 8 Use Brochures to Appeal to Both Mind and Heart ***

When

Someone You Love Dies. Many funeral directors appreciate having copies of this brochure on hand for bereaved families. Publishers who witness in cemeteries use this brochure to comfort mourners. Two sisters approached a family of seven who were praying at a grave. As a result of sharing the comforting message from the brochure, a Bible study was started with the mother the next day!

yb98 p. 11 Jehovah’s Witnesses—1998 Yearbook Report ***

Some Witnesses in Australia made up a kit to offer to funeral directors. It contained the brochures When Someone You Love Dies and Does God Really Care About Us? as well as some tracts that are ideal for those who are mourning. These were well received. The brothers continue to make periodic visits to renew the supplies of brochures and tracts.

yb96 pp. 47-48 Asia and Islands of the Pacific ***

The number of publishers in Australia has doubled in the past 16 years. The instruments provided by Jehovah’s organization have helped to open the hearts of many people. When the son of one of our brothers was killed in an accident, the family decided to make a gift of the brochure When Someone You Love Dies to each one who attended the funeral. They distributed 189 brochures in this way, and then another 46 copies were sent to unbelieving relatives. .

w55 9/1 p. 521 Part 17: Christian Neutrals During World War II ***

Funerals would be taken as opportunities for large public gatherings together of the witnesses still free to hear Bible talks and have a short season of fellowship. Small secret gatherings would be held at night or out in the forests.

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

Not at funerals, but also in cemetaries, yes, we would sometimes approach people. I remember some Witnesses being horrified by the idea, but I think it was promoted by one of our CO's at one point...

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Witnessing in cemetaries? That takes hutzbah.

• undercover
    undercover

I wouldn't call it canvassing but I remember when a brother died and his JW wife asked if some of us MSs would stand at key places around the crowd at the cemetary and hand out the "When a Loved One" dies brochure to anyone who wasn't recognized as a JW as the crowd left the cemetary service.

One of the more embarassing escapades in my life as a cult member.

• badboy
    badboy

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLES.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Yep, one big multi-funeral I went to a couple of years ago for some friends who died in an accident had a lot of the home congregation forming a 'welcome committee' at the door and sidelining anybody with distinctive non-witness markings - men with ponytail, women in trousers etc.

Some Witnesses in Australia made up a kit to offer to funeral directors. It contained the brochures When Someone You Love Dies and Does God Really Care About Us? as well as some tracts that are ideal for those who are mourning. These were well received. The brothers continue to make periodic visits to renew the supplies of brochures and tracts.

Ha... I'm imagining the funeral directors binning the rubbish as soon as the publishers back was turned. As if a business would distribute religious material?! As if they can teach a funeral director anything about grieving??!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit