movie with obvious jw. influence

by dvw 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• dvw
    dvw

hi all, my wife and i were watching a movie tonight ("domino", with keira knightley and mickey rourke). pretty good movie. during a funeral scene, the guy performing the service quotes from revelation, word for word from the nwt!

w.t.f.!? "no more pain, tears, death...blah blah... till the conclusion of this SYSTEM OF THINGS." we both about freaked out, and had to rewind it to see if we heard it right. i dont think any other religion uses "system of things". they usually translate cosmos? as world dont they? its not an earth shaking event but it just seemed weird to hear it in a movie.

• Confession
    Confession

That would've knocked me for a loop too, dvw. "System of things" is very definitely a JW "New World Translation" thing. Must've been a Witness involved.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I'm gonna have to check that movie out.

Speaking of movies,, did anyone ever see the movie with Kevin Costner and the little boy whose character was a J-dub?

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the movie, but I want to go see it again. I can still remember, Kevin Costner asking the little boy if Jehovah said he

couldn't trick or treat during halloween.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

yeah i remember that movie

A Perfect World

directed by Clint Eastwood!

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

that movie is A perfect world..

here are the www.imdb.com comments about it

A Perfect World ( 1993 )

A Perfect World touches you from the bottom of your heart. It is a story about a man and a boy. A man escapes from a prison with his partner who he does not like. After escaping, they kidnap a little boy. It is not a simple kidnapping story as people expect with violence and blood. This man, as he describes himself, is not a good guy, but not the worst either. The boy, living with his mom and two sisters, follows their family¡¯s religion, which forbids him from celebrating Halloween, celebrating Christmas, participating in parties, and pretty much any fun common for children of his age. The man gives the boy opportunities to play the games that he wants to, tells him what is wrong and what is right, and asks him to be independent and make his own choices.

• blondie
    blondie

Revelation 21:4

NWT

(Revelation 21:4) . . .And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away."

New King James Version (NKJV)And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

• Highlander
    Highlander

Thanks!!!

I'm gonna rent that sometime. The first time I saw it I was in highschool and a good little J-dub. My reaction to other j-dubs was one of disgust. This time around I'm going to have a

beer or two and laugh my ass off.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yup, you heard right. Here is the (reconstructed) script:

Man: He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more. Neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be any more. The former things have passed away. And, look... I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/d/domino-script-transcript-keira-knightley.html

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

MY guess is that someone just had one of the old green Bibles around or grabbed one at Goodwill for the scene and had no idea how its reading compared with other translations.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

No funeral I attended ever had that scripture read....I've never been to a jw funeral.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit