The Watchtower and Mind Control

by AliveinChrist 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AliveinChrist
    AliveinChrist

Greetings group

Looking back at my experience as a JW, I can now see all the things that are similar to other organizations that I thought were cultic, although I justified such activities in my own organization, as we were programmed to think by the organization. What amazes me is that there are so many otherwise intelligent, rational, and cogent men and women in these religious organizations that can point to cultic corruption and mind and behavior control in other organizations, yet cannot see the very same exact tactics being used upon them.

I know because I was once in the JW's and viewed the teachings, and history of the Mormons and scientology as false and filled with distortions and errors, yet still believed that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 against a vast amount of historical data that said otherwise, that Jesus came in 1914, and appointed the brothers as his slave in 1917, that the bible was not written for all Christians, that salvation was not possible without the WT, that the bible spoke to the modern issue of blood transplants, that we as JW's were the only true Christians, that the name Jehovah was in the Greek and the NWT accurately restored it, that Rutherford’s talks in the 1920's were a fulfillment of biblical prophecy, that birthdays were pagan, that the Watchtower was both not inspired yet spoke as Jehovah’s earthly organization and was directed by Jehovah’s spirit to speak in his name, that Armageddon was always right around the corner and if I was not at the meeting, it might happen, and many other teachings.

I feel blessed to have been able to be freed from a very powerful and intelligent control group like the WT religion, its just so amazing to me that we as humans are so easily able to fall susceptible to so much that should be very questionable. I often wonder, how many JW’s would began to at least question the 1914 doctrine if they had really studied non-Watchtower publications about the proofs that Jerusalem fell in 587 bce? How many JW’s would hold to 1914 if they knew that up until the 1930, the WT was teaching that Christ’s invisible presence started in 1874? How many JW’s would accept blood transfusions to save theirs of their loved owns life if they had really studied all the information about the WT’s changing history on this subject, as well as read deeply other bible commentaries about the interpretation of these verses? How many would accept that Jehovah appointed the Watchtower organization in 1917 if they knew that the vast majority of Russell’s teachings, including his pyramidology and interpretations of prophecy, have been completely abandoned and even called satanic, and today he is buried by large pyramid that calls him the ‘Laodicean messenger?’

How many today would trust the WT to provide food at the right time, if they had studied its history and doctrinal changes and flip flops, if they had taken the time to read about the blood changes, the alternative military changes, the organ transplants are cannibalism teachings, the 1914 generation will die changes, the re-writing of their own history, the misleading of peoples hopes for Christ return to promote extreme organizationism, while denying there family of time and financial resources, the many people who were DF’ed for not believing things that the WT itself later agreed was wrong, and the many countless families that have been destroyed by the WT and its teachings and control of people and there hopes. I wonder how many JW’s would stay in the religion if they were to investigate for themselves whether or not Carl Jonnsons publication on the Gentile Times and the 607/587 issue was being truthfully and historically taught by the WT, or if they were able to read Ray Franz publication ‘In search of Christian Freedom’ and still have a free conscience when they attended meetings. Could a JW read Stafford’s ‘Three Dissertations on the teachings of Jehovah’s Witnesses’ and continue to believe that the WT does not need to change and reform its teachings that are not clearly articulated in the bible from being viewed as Gospel?

Can there be a well education Witnesses, who understands everything about what ex-witnesses have wrote concerning, and who yet remains loyal to the Organization?

Perhaps there is valid reason for the WT to be very concerned about the JW community reading books by critics, informed Christians, as well as the growing group of ex-members who don’t seem to be just going away quietly!

In Christ,

AliveinChrist

[email protected]

• Perry
    Perry

Welcome aboard AliveinChrist. I enjoyed your post.

To answer your question: I do think there is a bursting point with each witness facing truth. That is why they inevitable get angry and make personal attacks whenever they speak with an educated person fluent in WT history and real Christianity.

It is just too must dissonance for their minds to bear . Most cannot imagine for one second life with Christ and without the organization controlling them.

For many, I believe the main problem is a personality trait that has a pattern of disconnection from other people, and so naturally a close relationship with Christ is just plain unfamiliar and scary.

Hence, the familiar default phrase, "Where else could we go"?

So sad.

• shar212
    shar212

The Watchtower Organization reminds me of a bad marriage where the attacker is the Governing Body and it's victims are everyone else. Overtime, just like in a physically or mentally abusive marriage, the victim begins to think it's their fault. If the person does not escape, they are eventually killed by their attacker, commit suicide, or are forever in agony remaining in a delusional state.

• AliveinChrist
    AliveinChrist

Perry,

I agree with you completly, I have seen so often that the JW will get very frustrated with me when I present information in a calm way that is logical and biblical. I JW is used to having the upper hand, with having a prepared studied subject to present, with having an unprepared householder, with having the upperhand of asking the leading questions, and when he or she meets someown who will take from them the control of the conversation, and shows considerable knowledge on a subject, they do tend to panic and start to attack you personally. In fact, most of the time this is what will happen. I usually think that really though we are dealing with a person with emotions and desires, what we are talking to is a religion that has taken human form, almost like a drug that has taken over the person, and talks through him or her. The witnesses has been programmed to repeat points they have memorized, and when you break the mold and ask questions that they have not been programmed to respond to, there is a voilation of the programming and the back up responce can only be the persons emotional desire to not allow any evidence to harm what the person is commited to, therefore the resorting to a personal attack of charactor.

Most JW's have lived so long for the WT, that it has to much to give up, too many years given it its service, and so rather than allow any evidence to refute the JW beliefs, its is better to attack the person making the arguments than try to listen to the points and admit that all they have lived for was a lie.

The Truth indeed is powerful, and it can set them free, but their loyality has to be to God and the Truth, not to a human organization.

In Christ

FreeinChrist

[email protected]

To answer your question: I do think there is a bursting point with each witness facing truth. That is why they inevitable get angry and make personal attacks whenever they speak with an educated person fluent in WT history and real Christianity.

It is just too must dissonance for their minds to bear . Most cannot imagine for one second life with Christ and without the organization controlling them.

For many, I believe the main problem is a personality trait that has a pattern of disconnection from other people, and so naturally a close relationship with Christ is just plain unfamiliar and scary.

Hence, the familiar default phrase, "Where else could we go"?

So sad.

• geevee
    geevee

Welcome! It should be no surprise to you that JW's dont see the forest for the trees, you have been there too. How long had you been "in"? I had been almost raised in it. Had plenty of upsets over time as had my parents, but this was God's organization, the GB were spirit directed...not inspired as you mention [isn't that the same?]
    But it takes quite a few kicks in the guts before you realize something is wrong. Why is it that you cant rationally sit down and discuss your research with any jw? Surely the "truth" will stand on it's own and it will always be crysrtal clear, it wont or shouldn't matter what you throw at it, truth is truth.....isn't it?
    But, when and if you get a chance to talk about what you learn, they just go al starey eyed and look off into the distance and only say hmm uhhuh...hmmm uhhuh..... and then change the subject.
    They need their own "crisis of conscience" before they may be ready to consider something contrary.
    IMO

• Shazard
    Shazard

Actually... After what WT have done to JW, WT should marry all the JW ;)

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi AliveinChrist, and welcome to the board

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

mouthy posted this site in another thread. thought it might fit here too.

http://www.energeticsolutions.com.au/great_watchtower_deception.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit