Not a part of this world..ain't that the truth!

by Virgochik 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

When JW's say they are no part of this world, I have to wonder if they know just how true that is. If they could see themselves as others see them, carrying the scripture to the ridiculous extremes that some do. For example, I had a recent conversation with (left un-named fro security reasons) elderly relatives. No, they can't see themselves ever getting a computer. DVD's, no, still using VHS tapes to play movies. Swipe a debit card instead of writing checks? Too old to learn that one, will stick to holding up the line writing out a check. Online banking? Shaking head. Still using film cameras, digital is too modern. A new car? Frivolous, when the old one is just fine for service.

Granted, these people are older, and that may have a lot to do with their reluctance to keep up with modern things. But how many JW's see it as a virtue to avoid new technology or to keep up with new inventions and products? I think this is fostered by avoiding the internet, where online banking, shopping, etc. could be done. Even Witnessing is done in a very old fashioned way, door knocking instead of using the web. Anyone notice how backwards and Amish-like JW's can be? Why are they so stuck in a 1950's timewarp?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I know what you mean Virgochik. I had never been on the Internet until last year, when I came to my friends flat to start researching the jws, and my friend Marion, who is on the way out herself, was the same. I suppose the constant warnings about the dangers of apostate sites influenced me more than I thought. I was almost scared to look the first time, but I am glad I overcame my fear now.

• Quandry
    Quandry

If you go to five meetings a week, study for all of them, work at low paying but hard job because you have no higher education, care for family, keep house sparkling elder's wife clean, have book study get togethers, go out in service regularly, keep all the dress clothes meeting clean, keep the car clean, then who has time to even know modern stuff? How can you learn how to really use a computer? (refer again to the no higher education) How do you have money to buy the items you mentioned? (refer again to the no higher education) I am now trying to get into step with the modern world. I am going back to school which is not easy when you have to work at the low paying hard job all day (refer again to the no higher education) and you are past fifty.

• LDH
    LDH

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother the other day, after I dropped my 16 year old off at the Bus station (she commutes to San Francisco for the summer for Art College).

I remember when we were little picking up my grandparents from the bus station. At that time it seemed so glamorous! Now that I'm an adult I wonder what the hell was a 65 year old woman doing with no car her whole life?

Waiting on the new system.

Everywhere I look it's the older ones who have patiently waited for the new system to engage their brains. For now they're content to sit back and read WT publications over and over, which tell them that one day they'll be happy.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Sad, really.

Even more so when you read the scriptures that support their being "no PART of the world":

John 18:36 “My kingdom is not of this world,” said Jesus.

John 8:23 “You are from below,” He told them, “I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.

• roflcopter
    roflcopter

hah you know, not only can you say they are "no part of this world"

I think you could also say they are out of this world LoL <<--- Firmly believes the GB are aliens.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

When the new system comes you won't have all your modern high fangled conviences.

Then you'll be glad for your training to live like a frontier family.

You'll be like the Israelites after leaving Egypt complaining where's my MTV.

• Silvia Plath
    Silvia Plath

I don't know that is the part that appealed to me about the JW's, thier seeming lack of materialism. Henry David Thoreau spoke of modern man being "a tool of his tools", and he spoke of the "innoscent savage" haven't you noticed how hung up people are on thier cars and cellphones, to where having those things becomes more important than living? Is there not a one of us that have romaticized about the simple living of early native americans or of the ancient Greeks speaking philosophy around a public bath? That's why they are able to hook "the outsiders" like me, people who sneer at the abject celluliod existence perpetrated from the glossy magazines and vapid Tv. Ads. When I was studying it was like my life seemed simpler, cleaner, but I should have known the truth was not that pre-packaged, or formulaic. I still don't want to be a part of this world, but I definitely don't want to be a JW either. I think technology can be good, as long as people still have the ability to connect with nature when the need arises and to work with Nature rather than against it. Technology has led to global warming...think about that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit