it's gone

by arrowstar 13 Replies latest jw friends

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

...all in the name of progress.

The apartment complex where I live was originally condos but over time are now apartments. It's my understanding that they were built back in the Real Estate Boom of the mid-80s...say 1984. As time passes, things are in need or repair and/or replacement. It's just a fact of life. In the case of my home, there are to be numerous updates such as new balcony/patio ironwork, pavement repairs, new siding, etc.

When I got home from work Thursday evening, there was a notice on my door regarding what was going to take place this weekend. Tree removal.

I have an upstairs apartment and when I look out my kitchen window I'm looking through a the branches of a tree. A fruitless mulberry to be exact. In the winter, when its branches are bare, I can see the little sparrows. This tree has provided me with not only shade from the Texas heat but many a smile watching the antics of the sparrows.

This morning when I heard the chainsaw, my heart sank.

In a matter of minutes, the whole landscape has changed. Forever changed.

Lisa

• Robdar
    Robdar

Arrowstar:

This morning when I heard the chainsaw, my heart sank.

In a matter of minutes, the whole landscape has changed. Forever changed.

Lisa, I get upset when I hear the chain saws too. When I first moved to this apartment, there were acres of woods. Within a month, I woke up to the beep beep of a bulldozer backing up. I stepped out on my patio and saw them knocking down trees to build a big-assed, subdivision full of big-assed houses. It broke my heart. No more cool shade and woodsy smells. Now the feral cats that were living in the woods have no where to live, no shelter from the storm. Their miserable, abandoned lives have only gotten worse. I do not call what those men have done progress.

• serendipity
    serendipity

((( Lisa ))) Trees soften the edges of the manmade landscape and provide a reassuring peak of nature in our homes. Their sculptural beauty is revealed fully in winter. Especially in the plains of North Texas, the loss of a mature tree is a shame.

I have to wonder if the mulberry was diseased. They are short-lived trees, prone to insects and disease problems.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

nor do I, dear ...nor do I.

what a horrible waste.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

No, the tree wasn't diseased. It was more than likely causing an issue with the foundation. It was too close to the building. Hell, it was in my downstairs neighbor's patio.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Arrow............

I had a similar experience a few years ago. In my small apartment complex courtyard we had about 8 tall pine trees growing out of beds of ivy. It allowed me the fantasy at times of being in the mountains and hearing the 'wind whispering through the pines.'

Then, one day they were all chopped down. One of my elderly neighbors had slipped on pine needles on the walkway - almost like suddenly being on rollerskates. So, to avoid any liability issues - down came the trees. I was so sad. Then, a few weeks later the building was painted, but first they washed it with bleach. Well, they used too much and killed all the ivy.

Sorry you've lost your tree, too. I know how it feels. Not good.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Thank you, Bizzy

thank you all...

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Oh Lisa that is sad. When I think of how many years it takes for a tree to grow and how many lives are nurtured in it's branches and leaves, not to mention how much shade and beauty it provides for us, gosh all gone in a few minutes with a chain saw, makes me sad.

When I lived in the desert on one of my regular bike training rides I would pass this huge and I mean huge tree. It was the biggest one I ever saw in my life especially considering it survived and thrived in the desert!

Well one day on my ride I noticed the house where the tree lived was being renovated, seems the owners had sold it and the new peeps were moving in. You guessed it down came the tree, I took pictures of the before and after, I wish my scanner was working so I could show you. The whole neighborhood and the local news crews showed up, everyone was furious at the new neighbors. Not a way to make friends in your new neighborhood!

That corner was never the same and the house looked so bleak without the tree, sad. Anyway I know how you feel, (((Lisa))).

• juni
    juni

The same thing happened to me - had a beautiful tree shading my upstairs apt. I could sit on the balcony and watch the birds. Lightening struck the tree one night and killed it. It had to be taken down.

I know exactly what you are feeling.

Juni

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

my heart aches for you AND your tree, Arrow. One thing that hurts my and my BF's heart is to see a tree either cut or knocked down.........we both love our tree people........can you get a BIG pot and buy a tree to put in it? Even some nice evergreen bushes in small planters would be nice............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit