It's 10:30am on a convention morning...

by undercover 10 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

...do you know where your faders are, Watchtower Society?

I just glanced at my watch and realized that if I was still active, I'd be sitting in a coliseum fighting falling asleep listening to some elder drone on and on, but here I am posting on an "apostate" message board. How cool is that?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

very cool - just like me doing a demonstration on the Service Meeting last night and the following morning posting on an apostate board - very cool

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

Nice, just like me being in a drama and having a smoke behind Tesco's at lunch time

That was when I was 16 but I thought I was cool

BM

• heathen
    heathen

Well we already know the WTBTS intentions with the deliverance is at hand convention . To combat the the negative publicity on the web and various other places they had to create yet another end of world hype , of which they will deny doing if say the world goes on another 100 yrs. I can't believe they even believe that by false predictions they were actually attempting to keep people awake and active persuing kingdom interests . What a load of BS.

• RaceBannon
    RaceBannon

I remember years ago the conventions were 12 hour days for 4 days in a row, not three.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

How about 8 day conventions, 9 in the morning to 9 at night. Yep, in the mid 60's. Try and get a sizeable crowd to do that today!

Outaservice

• serendipity
    serendipity

Report from the fringe: My cong's convention is this weekend. I didn't take the day off today to go. Don't plan to go tomorrow either. Might go Sunday.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    How about 8 day conventions, 9 in the morning to 9 at night.

slight correction................they started at 1:30 in the afternoon. Field service was at 9, but it was just a brief meeting, and then "to the field". We always had to get there early to get a seat, so in that sense you could say they were all day. As I recall the Sunday program did start in the morning, but it let out about 5 PM.

Those conventions were really hard on kids. I remember being at them as a kid, and could never stay awake, and had bad stomach aches. Hmmm, wonder why. Later when I had my own kids, it was just torture.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

You bring back some exhausting memories, Mulan.

I too remember being a kid and having to sit through those 8 day marathons. They would start on Sunday morning and end Sunday evening the following week. Fortunately the last DC I attended as a JW was in 1984 and it was only 4 days. However, in 1989 I attended the DC as a non-JW. My girlfriend, who was Jewish, wanted to see what a JW convention was like. So we went to the Saturday morning session. It started around 9 AM. The attendants seated us just before the program began. After the opening song and prayer the speakers began their usual boring lectures. I don't recall what they said as I slept through most of the morning session. When they dismissed us for lunch I asked my girlfriend if she had had enough and she agreed it was time to leave.

She did have an interesting sense of humor while at the convention. Every time she visited the restroom she would leave in the stalls several of Randy Watter's tracts exposing the Watchtower. And I couldn't resist placing a couple of phoney Russell $3 bills in the contribution box as my donation to the "Watchtower's World Wide Witnessing Work." Though it was just the two of us, knowing the paranoia of the JWs, they probably thought an army of apostates had invaded.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The earliest DC I went to (in 1978) was a 5 day affair, starting on Wednesday, with evening sessions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit