It all one big sales meeting

by mjarka911 9 Replies latest jw friends

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

I've been out for a few years, but my wife is still an active JW. The other day I was using the fax and found some notes someone had sent her from their CO's visit. She said she didn't mind if I looked at them.

I was struck at how much the talks and service meeting notes were like sales seminar meetings. Reading it was like remembering a scene from Glengary Glen Ross. There was one section entitled:

26 Things you should be writing on your RV slip. It mentioned all the little things you should notice and write down so you can tailor your magazine placements to their interests. It had sample dialogue about not correcting someone about ideas inconsistent with JW beliefs because it would turn them off.

It all seemed so duplicitious. I remember a car commercial years ago where a man said:

"I don't want to be sold a car, it's too big a purchase. I want to buy a car because its the best thing for me!"

I think the same about all this sales training for religion. Would you buy a financial investment from someone who goes door to door? Why in the hell would you allow someone to sell you spirituality?

Matt

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

It is only a business after all.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

You've got to admit how well they know their market. They target those who are experiencing difficulty, getting them while their guard is down. They ignore those who have too many questions, who have heard stories they can't refute. They canvas at funerals, for crying out loud.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

It's a pyramid scheme under the cover of religion.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Once the JW 'in-cliche' used to be, "We're not looking for those happy in their religion (or happy Catholics/evangelicals/etc). We're looking for those sighing and groaning."

It's true that those who have brand loyalty because they are satisfied with it are not going to switch brands. Same with brand-name religion.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Would you buy a financial investment from someone who goes door to door? Why in the hell would you allow someone to sell you spirituality?

Excellent point. However, witnesses coming to your door are not selling spirituality. They are selling magazines.

• vitty
    vitty

I always felt that it was a con, using ppls vulnerabilities. I never like the the Thursday meeting

• lilybird
    lilybird

A brother in our hall years ago, started studying with a co-worker who lost her brother in a car accident.She was so depressed over her death she was taken in by the promise of the resurrection in the new system..Her husband was very opposed to her attending meetings, but it seemed to make her feel like she was closer to her brother , as she would see him again one day..Even then , though I was an active door-to-door preaching Dub, I felt sorry for her getting involved with the org in this way..I felt like she was ruining her life.(Funny though I still kept going for another 5 years before I escaped).

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Some meetings are more sales meetings than others but certainly the Service Meeting is pretty much an in your face sales meeting.
    If the 'work' was saving lives then they would have a point but most of the adults I witnessed to as a child and youth must be dead by now and I am not that old!!!

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I just remembered something else.
    There was a time (up to mid 60s?) when the congregations figures were all posted on a large notice board at the front of the hall. It used to detail total number of publishers, total hours, average hours, etc. What a sales organization!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit