help--my car chugs when i takek my foot off the gas...

by orbison11 11 Replies latest jw friends

• orbison11
    orbison11

greetings all you car buffs

i am having troubles with my car...91 t-bird,,,when i take my foot off gas, it chugs, like it is going to stall.....

any ideas?

thanks

orbi

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

change your fuel and air filters see if that helps.

it may be your fuel pump going out on you.

dont keep driving it too much before you check it out!

• gumby
    gumby

A 91' eh?

Sounds like it's not getting gas when your foot is off the pedal as it should. Could be an accelorator pump/diaphram. Will it idle without your foot on the gas while your sitting still?

If that ain't the problem, take it to a shop cuz you'll get 150 answers here

Gumechanicnot

• orbison11
    orbison11

thanks guys, will do ,,my goal also is to be able to do a tune up myself, lol,,,for a mature female that will be a good feel for me:)

orb

• Carmel
    Carmel

Idle adjustment on the carb may need attention. Needle valve could be fouled not allowing enough fuel. Check same after the fuel pump and filters check out.

carmel of the "amature mechanic" class

• gumby
  • greendawn
    greendawn

It could be a number of things causing it, perhaps your carburettor needs to be cleaned or adjusted or its gasket is leaking air, or as someone else said it could be the fuel filter or petrol pump.

• poppers
    poppers

My gawd, Gumby! What a bodacious set of bumpers!

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Idle adjustment on the carb may need attention.

My car did the same thing when I was in high school. One of the guys in auto shop fixed it for me, by raising the idle. It worked fine after that.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Could also be a vacuum leak caused by a cracked hose.

Cellist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit