When you talk to a total stranger, how do they react?

by JH 15 Replies latest jw friends

• damselfly
    damselfly

I'm much to shy and self conscious to start conversations with strangers but seniors and kids tend to chat me up all the time. You can have the greatest chats with 4 year olds.

Dams

• Mulan
    Mulan

I do it all the time at the grocery store, or in line at the bank. People are nice and friendly..........chatty. Occasionally I get someone who speaks just a little English. But even they try to talk to me.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

This is an interesting topic. Ok, when I talk to a stranger (something I must do in my line of work quite a bit), I make them feel at ease. It’s quite simple to do really. I come off friendly, yet self-confidant. I let them know subtly that I am in control of the meet, and usually most people fall into an expected pattern. Occasionally, I encounter an abusive personality that sees my openness as an opportunity to dominate. I still stay control, allowing that person to "think" they are in charge. I have learned that, allowing someone to "think" they are in control keeps them in control. As long as I get what I ‘want’, what do I care what that person thinks? It’s all about getting what you need, and forgetting about ego. It’s a beautiful thing, and the ultimate form of manipulation. They never even know what’s happening. This technique I have learned from dealing with JW’s.

I want to add an observation. I hope this won't come off as racists, cuz it ain't. When I wave as a friendly gesture to a white guy or white gal who is a stranger, I very often get frowned looks. But in contrast, when I wave to strangers who are African Americans I usually get a smile and a wave back. Why is that I wonder? Us white folks are too uptight, in my opinion.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

In kind.

• JH
    JH
    I do it all the time at the grocery store, or in line at the bank. People are nice and friendly..........chatty.

Gee, here it's not like that at all. If I happen to be in back of someone waiting at the cash register, If I talk to the person near me also waiting, they just won't answer or maybe nod their head, meaning "we don't know each other, why are you talking to me? Are you a weirdo or something or a sex maniac"...

When I went to Wisconsin last year, I was at a Walmart and I remember Buttlight's boy friend, talking to a pure stranger waiting to pay at the cash register, and they were talking as if they knew each other since years, then when she left, I asked him if he knew her, and he said NO, never saw her before.

I was so surprised, and when I told him how it was here, he found it bad. The only ones who might talk to me or accept that I talk to them are old people. Generally, people 10 to 20 years older than me and up, I'll be able to have a conversation with them. As far as those my age or younger, forget it....

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings JH,

:Maybe my aura is very wide and bothersome

With those teeth, is it any wonder!

Dismembered

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit