The difference between old school dubs and modern dubs - and the GB 2.0

by TheListener 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheListener
    TheListener

Old school witnesses thrived on the fact they were different and persecuted for it. It was a point of pride.

I think the whole witness experience is much more social based for younger and newer witnesses. That may be why so many newer ones that come to this board cannot understand or accept some of the information we present here about how things "used to be". They don't and can't see it that way.

I don't think the GB 2.0 planned it this way, I think it happened naturally and they are doing their best to keep up with it.

That's why we see some videos where things are happening that older witnesses can't understand. A good example of the disconnect is congregation picnics. Many here will remember the large congregation picnics that were somewhat a regular feature of dub life. That is, until the GB virtually banned them. Now when a larger group gets together everyone is careful to state that the group isn't too big (which translates to 'we only invited those we like')and that there will be plenty of spiritual men there to make sure nothing gets out of hand.

It's my guess that most of the old guard at Bethel and many of the COs are not happy with many of these trends. But, they know they are walking on egg shells and are willing to allow some self expression in order to retain money donating members.

• pbrow
    pbrow

Hey listener... I had an aunt that was awesome at putting together large congregation gatherings. I remember when it just stopped when I was a teenager and I had no idea why.

Now, looking at all these non-witness songs being played in the kingdom hall is pretty surreal. Although I try not to get to worked up about it because this new phenomenon does appear normal and us older school dubs look silly saying "thats bullshit 'cause I couldnt play worldly songs in my wedding"

pbrow

• flipper
    flipper
    Good thread. Interesting points you bring up. That could be a very explainable reason that newer joining board members don't understand what all the uproar is about when we expose former WT teachings to them. They never even HEARD of these WT teachings. It's just like 1984 ( the book ) all over again. Where the powers that be destroyed or incinerated all their " old " information so newer members could not even KNOW what the old information was. So even many new JW's nowadays don't even realize that there was a 1975 debacle. Unless they look outside the WT organization onto the internet. Amazing how information control works in JW land
  • TheListener
    TheListener

Even my family who have been dubs for decades are hesitant to remember the old rules. I've taken the opportunity once in awhile when they show me something on the web or I see them using a tablet to prepare for the meetings to mention how much has changed.

The response? A blank expression followed by something like 'what do you mean?' I actually have to explain to older long time dub family members that used to look down on people bringing scripture printouts to the hall how much things have changed. Then they say something like 'I guess so.'

I find it frustrating.

I really do think the GB 2.0 didn't plan all off this in advance but were given a heads up by COs that it was going to be impossible to stamp out electronics so they decided to embrace it and thus try to control it and ride a wave of increased emotionally attachment by digitally connected dubs who can embrace technology without the guilt we used to have.

I think it's a two edge sword. Less electronic guilt may cause or allow some dubs to stumble upon interesting information from the internet.

• apostrate
    apostrate

A couple of young JW's, I'm guessing they were in their early 20's, came by not too long ago and I spoke to them. I asked them about the videos on the internet showing the JW's at the Hall dancing, singing folk/pop songs, playing "Happy" by Pharrell or whatever his name is. These young JW's just looked at me with a blank stare and then said, "We're just trying to show people that we are not a bunch of old fuddy-duddy's!" (The JW's that I grew up in prided themseves on being fuddy-duddy's).

They knew exactly what videos I was talking about and admitted as much. That's when I realized, just as those commenting here have stated, they have grown up in this new tech savvy world and don't know any different! Satan's music being played in the Kingdom Hall, yeah, so what?

Which goes right along with what many have stated in other threads, don't hold your breath waiting for the WT to collapse. They will change with the times and do whatever it takes to keep the money rolling in! The older ones will either leave the Org or die, the younger ones will never understand what the fuss is all about, (until they get older and see the newer changes that will inevitably occur).

• antes8080
    antes8080

totally agree with the coments made.

the new GB whants to make it a social club for younger ones making songs like the best life ever and the broadcast makes it feel more young couse, the org had old feel to it.

more young ones are staying in..

• Giordano
    Giordano

Really the only thing that the WTBTS has going for itself in the more educated and prosperous countries is the Country Club effect. People who are comfortable with other people who think like them.

• hoser
    hoser

Today's field service is a joke compared to that of yesteryear. It is a time to do very little witnessing and a lot of socializing.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

TheListener - "...the GB 2.0 didn't plan all of this in advance..."

Yeah, I'm having a hard time imagining the True-Believer leaders of an End-Times fundy religion "planning" anything much in advance.

The WTS is overwhelmingly reactive, not proactive.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    vidiot: The WTS is overwhelmingly reactive, not proactive.

Unless, of course, you factor in the WTS' undeniable proactive behavior in the 30s and 40s concerning first amendment rights.

*to add: and...what about the WTS' proactive stance on blood? How many millions have they invested in promoting erroneous material to the public and the medical profession with their production of noblood propaganda?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit