Time Magazine (1927) - Rutherford a Circuit Judge for 14 years!!

by VM44 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• VM44
    VM44

Leolaia,

You are correct. These are the things about the FDS that were printed for public distribution.

However, Rutherford was really being sneaky here for it was he who was really directing The Watchtower and the JWs. Everything done had to have his stamp of approval.

All the power was concentrated at the top of the organization in his person, but the public, including all of Rutherford's followers, were told different.

This is an example of Rutherford's saying the exact opposite of reality (e.g. "I am not the boss of the Jehovah's Witnesses").

One always has to carefully distinguish between official doctrine and how things were really were.

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Leolaia,

Thanks for posting those Watchtower quotes.

Perhaps we need a new thread on the history of the FDS concept?

--VM44

• bennyk
    bennyk

The change came in the late 1920's -- 1927 or 1928. I don't remember the WT article, but I do know that the 1925 edition of the "Harp of God" claims that Russell was the "Faithful and Wise Servant", whereas the 1928 edition does NOT.

• VM44
    VM44

Again I am going to say Rutherford was very sneaky.

Leolaia wrote that after Russell died Rutherford generalized the concept of FDS to the Society.

What Rutherford was doing in those early days was to establish that he was the rightful heir to continue on Russell's work. This is why he had Fisher and Woodworth write the so-called seventh volume of Russell's Studies in the Scriptures. Publishing that work and stamping on the cover that it was Russell's 7th volume, and filling the book with praise of Russell, was part of the plan to justify as legitimate Rutherford's control of the organization.

Rutherford was no innocent, he knew exactly what he doing. He had a plan and followed it.

The question as to Rutherford was a sincere believer or a religious con man is hard to answer. Perhaps he was paradoxically both!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Time magazine made an error! They give Rutherford's name as "Joseph Frederick Rutherford", when it really was "Joseph Franklin Rutherford"!

Time never corrected this error, in the nine(!) article they published from 1927 to 1942 in which they mentioned his middle name, they used "Frederick" instead of the correct "Franklin"!

--VM44

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

VM44 asked,

Didn't someone here at JWD once try to find where Rutherford was buried?

The only thing he could find was a grassy area with no marker, if I recall correctly.

Yes, that was the original RR (not Richie), who travelled to the site of the Woodrow United Methodist Church and Cemetery on Staten Island in NYC. That is where the WTS buried its dead for many years after they stopped using the Bible Students' plots in Rosemont United Cemetery (Pittsburgh, PA) where Russell is buried and before they began using their property at the Watchtower Farm.

The Woodrow United Methodist cemetery is not large, and the section owned by the WTB&TS is about 100 feet by 100 feet, and unique in that it contains no markers of any sort. The Methodist Church maintains the property so that it does not revert to forest.

There is, however, good reason to believe that Rutherford is not buried with his coffin in this Staten Island location. Rutherford wanted to be buried in San Diego, and the city forbid his burial on the grounds of Beth Sarim or Beth Shan, yet it is on one of those two adjacent properties that his bones have rested for almost 65 years. The story is that Knorr and Franz dug an hole on the property on night and gave JFR his last wish. There are people today who know where to dig if the opportunity presented itself.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Interesting that the same author alluded to 1928 as a failed prophecy:

An erroneous prophecy that the year 1928 would provide a cataclysm— ''Nations will battle; the dead will be dung on the earth"—upset considerably the Bible Students' calculations

Yet there is seemingly no trace of this in the literature as far as I can see. Has anyone ever really heard of a 1928 prediction? It's news to me. So was this a figment of the reporter's imagination? No! It took a lot of searching, but I think I found the basis for this date. In 1924, the book The Great Pyramid: Its Divine Message was published by David Davidson, and it claimed that the Great Tribulation would begin on 29 May 1928 and would end on 16 September 1936. These views were popularized further by Basil Stewart and D. Davidson in their book The Great Pyramid: Its Construction, Symbolism, and Chronology, published in 1927. On p. 65 they state that "the Pyramid warns us that these events are to take place between May, 1928 and September, 1936".

That similar ideas circulated among the Bible Students (at least those associated with PSL Johnson) is confirmed by a New York brother who wrote the following in a letter:

"I just finished reading a booklet given me by a brother in regard to the Pyramid; the author states that upon reviewing the measurements of the Pyramid he finds a few errors which make August 28th, which is now past, and also October 3rd as the final date for the big battle of Armageddon to begin. These two dates have passed and nothing has come to pass to substantiate the deductions" (Herald of Christ's Kingdom, 1 January 1929, p. 15).

It is curious that these dates do not exactly correspond to Davidson & Stewart's dates, and the reference to the "booklet" suggests that some other privately-printed publication circulated among the Bible Students that drew on Davidson & Stewart's work on the Great Pyramid. In 1925, the Bible Students associated with Johnsson abandoned the date 606 BC, refused to accept 1925, and looked forward to the the 1930s: "The reasonable deduction is that the great changes and events which we have heretofore expected to take place in 1914 would, in view of the foregoing, be logically expected to be in evidence somewhere around 1934" (Herald of Christ's Kingdom, August 1925, p. 14), so a date of 1936 fits pretty well in that scheme.

What is not known, since sources are so scarce, is whether these speculations got any airplay in the Golden Age. It is quite likely that the booklet in question circulated among Rutherfordian Bible Students as well, as there was a fair degree of literature swapping between the groups (this would largely cease in the 1930s when Rutherford gained further control, dismissed elders and ecclesias sympathetic to Russell, and portrayed the other Bible Students as the "evil slave"), and other literature being sent around through the mail. The 15 November 1927 Watchtower mentioned that a Bethelite named D. Chomiak mailed a pamphlet titled A Study to the entire subscription list, and Rutherford urged that "when the Society has anything to say it will say it officially through The Watch Tower....We suggest the friends disregard all private pamphlets or sheets that come through the mail, and wait for The Watch Tower" (p. 338, 351)

It is curious tho that Rutherford published the "Altar in Egypt" series of articles in the 15 November and 1 December 1928 Watchtower. These were the articles that rejected the belief that the Pyramid was a valid source of chronological information:

*** w28 12/1 p. 359 The Altar in Egypt Pt. 2 ***

[Satan] would turn the mind of such away from Jehovah and the wonderful unfolding of his prophecies at the present time. In this connection let it be emphasized that those who are devotees of the pyramid of Gizeh, and who are delving into its supposed secrets, are doing nothing whatsoever to bear witness against the Devil’s organization and for the name of Jehovah God.

The timing of these articles is interesting, as this was around the time when speculation was going around concerning 1928. Did Rutherford contribute to the speculation as the Time articles suggest? Or did the author rely on what other Bible Students were saying?

• badboy
    badboy

2847??????????

EXPLAIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

AD 2874 was supposed to be the end of the Thousand Year Rule. Satan gets let loose from his prison, and good stuff like that.

• badboy
    badboy

So he was still promoting the 1874 theory,right????????????????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit