Do you ever get overwhelmed trying to sort your thoughts out ...

by troubled mind 9 Replies latest jw friends

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Maybe I need to start a journal or something to help sort my thoughts . It seems like right now I have to many things to deal with at once and I don't know how to slow down and take one issue at a time . Do you get what I mean ? This past weekend I met a Pastor from the church down the street .Incredibily nice guy . I am interested in talking with him just because I'm not sure what I believe anymore, and I'm open to all points of view right now. At the same time I am leary about religion.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Writing all my thoughts out helps me out tremendously. I have several different journals. Sometimes my jumbled thoughts don't make any or much sense on paper but afterwards my brain feels a lot clearer and calmer...

Also therapy has been helping me TREMENDOUSLY to cope with my core belief system being turned on its head and not knowing who to trust or what to believe anymore...

Good luck, troubled mind!

Sometimes Overwhelmed Girl

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I really do want to get therapy but I don't know for sure where to go . My husband's work offers LifeWorks which I think covers therapy .

• trevor
    trevor
    I'm not sure what I believe anymore, and I'm open to all points of view right now.

This is another way of saying that you have no beliefs anymore. Perhaps arriving at the point of no beliefs is the destination.

Why do you need beliefs. What you know is real, whereas beliefs are anybodies guess.

• Calliope
    Calliope

i agree with both writing your thoughts down and therapy.
    both have helped me tremendously.
    writing things down organized my thoughts and provided direction. i could then choose and consider what needed attention. therapy provided further direction.

i also am pretty sure i suffer from A.D.D. (but possibly also hypochondria, so self-diagnosis is just a biproduct...) so writing my thoughts helps me concentrate.

best wishes in your path.

calliopé

• moanzy
    moanzy

Things were so overwhelming for me that I didn't know how I was going to make it. Some of the things I did that helped was to first decide that I would figure it out no matter how long it takes.

I took councelling for about a year and a half to 2yrs. In councelling I dealt more with family and personal issues.

After my decision to leave the witnesses, I went on a reading rampage just to try and figure out what is lies and what is truth.

It is so much work, but the difference in me is huge.

Many fears are no longer there. My health has improved tremendously. Depression isn't overwhelming anymore because I have learned skills to pull myself out of it when it hits.

Decide which area needs the most attention first. Everything else will improve as one area is worked on. Then you can see clearly on what area needs your attention next.

Moanzy

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    I really do want to get therapy but I don't know for sure where to go . My husband's work offers LifeWorks which I think covers therapy .

My insurance covers my therapy. There was a list of covered psychologists and psychiatrists on the website for my insurance. I knew I couldn't afford to pay out of pocket, so I printed a list of the therapists that are close to where I live and covered by my plan, and then researched them, looking up what they specialize in, talking to my doctor that has known me for many years, the appointment staff of the psychiatry department, etc. They helped triage which one would be a good fit for me. My therapist has been amazing. I think someone who specializes in relationship therapy is ideal because we now have trust issues due to being taught a lie as truth for much of our lives. She also helps me work through situations such as when my mother said she could not have a relationship with me. She also is the one who made me realize that I hadn't thought for myself my whole life and that thinking for yourself is actually a good thing.

(Interestingly, she mentioned to me that she is dealing with several patients that are leaving their religions. I asked if any of them were Witnesses and she said yes - obviously because of confidentiality nothing more could be said.)

Do you have a website for your insurance? I would start there. If you enter in your member ID number it can give you specific information according to your individual plan.

Trying to be helpful, let me know if you have any questions...

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Thanks Goodgirl , I will look into the insurance and see what coverage we might have , I may ask some advice from you down the road thanks again. Trevor - I am confused as to what I really believe anymore .I am not 100% either way on whether I believe in life after death , leaning more to no. I am trying to differintiate between what I only hope exisits, and what really does exisit . Maybe that will never be possible because there is no absolute proof for any religious beliefs.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

TM,

I wish you well. Being on this site, reading and posting, used to keep me going strong. But in recent months I haven't been able to be here because I need to clear my mind from the constant thinking, and striving to make a difference. I've been at overload.

I like what you said to Trevor, especially the last few words - it would not be a belief if there were absolute proof, would it?

I am confused as to what I really believe anymore .I am not 100% either way on whether I believe in life after death , leaning more to no. I am trying to differintiate between what I only hope exisits, and what really does exisit . Maybe that will never be possible because there is no absolute proof for any religious beliefs.

I read a book last summer, whose early and late chapters helped me see more clearly what beliefs begin to make some sense to me. The middle chapters were harder to follow, but i have had relative peace of mind ever since, at least in relaton to my beliefs, which are not without significant doubt.

Anyway, I bought a few copies - you're welcome to one free of charge should you wish to pm me.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Yes, indeedy- when I first found out about the abuse scandals, then the U.N., then really thought about the 1914 "NEW LIGHT" and put it together with the 7,000 year creation days, etc. I thought I would lose my mind, and really welcomed some rubber room where someone else could do my thinking for me for awhile. It was as if I realized the emperer had no clothes, when before I was sure that I was the only one not seeing them. For the past many months I have been trying to make sense of things. This site has helped me to know that others are aware and feel the same way about the "GOOD OLE BOYS" at the top. Overwhelming is a good word. Everything is now called into question. I do still feel, however, that Jesus is my mediator, and died for all of us at this site. I know there is life after death--Jesus was ressurected. Where it will be............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit