End Dependent Mind

by EnDependentMind 16 Replies latest jw friends

• EnDependentMind
    EnDependentMind

"It is very nearly impossible... to become an educated person in a country [Religion] so distrustful of the independent mind."

James Baldwin

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear End Dependant Mind,

WELCOME to the forum!! I liked your quote, how true it is!! I also like your name! We look forward to hearing more from you!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Khufu
    Khufu

Hi EndDependentMind!

The absence of internal debate prevents witnesses from seeing the most evident contradictions in their teachings. One example that dumbfounds me is that they reject the idea of apostolic succession, and claim at the same time that their governing body is the successor of that first-century assembly of apostles and older ones. Another example is the proclamation of the failure of the UN, while it's so obvious the WTS itself could care less about the principles set in the declaration of human rights (freedom of expression, no star-chamber tribunals, etc). This list could go on and on.

Those contradictions are a great help to many trapped inside the organization. I started the road toward recovering independance of mind when I realized the contradiction there was in putting blood above life (the symbol above the reality).

• EnDependentMind
  • EnDependentMind
    EnDependentMind

*** w60 2/15 p. 106 par. 6 Safeguard Your Thinking Ability ***
    Since the purpose of preaching God’s Word is to make every thought obedient to the Christ, it follows that one should reject the goal of independent thinking

*** w62 9/1 p. 524 par. 22 Pursuing Peace Through Increased Knowledge ***
    The following facts should be indelibly set in our mind, by reviewing them until they are a fixed part of our thinking….The student must express himself as he understands the truth. (Gal. 6:6) He cannot have independent thinking.

*** w64 5/1 p. 277 par. 8 Building a Firm Foundation in Christ ***
    It is through the columns of The Watchtower that Jehovah provides direction and constant Scriptural counsel to his people, and it requires careful study and attention to details in order to apply this information, to get a full understanding of the principles involved, and to assure ourselves of right thinking on these matters. It is in this way that we “are thoroughly able to grasp mentally with all the holy ones” the fullness of our commission and of the preaching responsibility that Jehovah has placed on all Christians as footstep followers of his Son. Any other course would produce independent thinking and cause division

*** w83 1/15 p. 22 pars. 20-21 Exposing the Devil’s Subtle Designs ***
    From the very outset of his rebellion Satan called into question God’s way of doing things. He promoted independent thinking. ‘You can decide for yourself what is good and bad,’ Satan told Eve. ‘You don’t have to listen to God. He is not really telling you the truth.’ (Genesis 3:1-5) To this day, it has been Satan’s subtle design to infect God’s people with this type of thinking.—2 Timothy 3:1, 13.

21 How is such independent thinking manifested? A common way is by questioning the counsel that is provided by God’s visible organization.

*** w83 1/15 p. 27 par. 19 Armed for the Fight Against Wicked Spirits ***
    Yet there are some who point out that the organization has had to make adjustments before, and so they argue: “This shows that we have to make up our own mind on what to believe.” This is independent thinking. Why is it so dangerous?

*** w87 2/1 p. 19 par. 13 Doing Our Utmost to Declare the Good News ***
    Due to background and upbringing, some may be more given to independent thinking and self-will than others. Perhaps this is an area where we need to discipline ourselves and ‘make our mind over’ so that we can perceive more clearly what the “will of God” is.—Romans 12:2.

• Khufu
    Khufu

Thanks for this inspiring compilation! What a relief to be free. It obviously does not occur to the WTS that one could love God and fellow humans out of one's own, independant, will.

Oops

Please forgive my independant thinking

• luna2
    luna2

When I read this stuff now, I wonder what in the world was wrong with me that I chose to turn off my brain and join this group of deluded zombies.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome endependent mind!

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Is anyone else thinking CULT, CULT, CULT!!!!? Thank you end dependant, for the references. I saved them for future use!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• EnDependentMind
    EnDependentMind

Interestingly, somewere between Aug. of 1957 and Feb. of 1960 independent thinking swithched from a good idea to a bad idea. Notice that in '57 it was Satan that led individuals not to think independently, and by '60, you guessed right, independent thinking was now one of Satan's tools.

*** w57 8/1 p. 469 par. 7 Will You Get to Live on Earth Forever? ***

To keep minds from doing godly thinking Satan keeps them busy with thoughts that are either trivial or ungodly. It is tailor-made thinking, and the tailor of it is the Devil. Minds work, but in the way that a horse is led. Independent thinking is difficult, unpopular and even suspect. Thought conformity is the order of our day. To seek solitude for meditation is frowned upon as antisocial and neurotic.

*** w60 2/15 p. 106 par. 5 Safeguard Your Thinking Ability ***

5 Today the trend of this world is to seek independent thinking as the ideal goal, but even as the unrealistic thinking of a scientist who tries to ignore the law of gravity is doomed to failure, so also is the unrealistic thinking of those who try to ignore the fact of man’s dependence on God.

End Dependent Thinking...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit