Convention Delegates (I use that term loosely)

by mjarka911 8 Replies latest jw friends

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

I'm a Union Firefighter and just went to my first state association union convention as a delegate and it gave me pause about how we were all called delegates at assemblies.

As a delegate to the firefighter convention, I was able to debate resolutions on the floor and in committee as to the diretion of the organization. Then, most importantly, I was able to vote my choice. As a true delegate - I have a say and a meaningful voice.

I contrast this with the meaningless designation of "delegate" at an assembly. Imagine if a resolution was read and, instead of clapping like a seal, you stood and disagreed with the resolution and offered an ammendment to change the direction of the organization (i.e. child abuse, blood doctrine, shunning). We all know a judicial committee would be convened before the day was out and you would be pressed with questions like: Do you believe God is using the FDS to direct the organization? Any answer other than yes and you would risk not being in "good standing".

I know I'm rambling, but it just struck me today that they try to use these democratic constructs like "delegates" and "resolutions" but they are false and empty words!

Matt

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I noticed this too, when I was at the convention. It makes it sound so serious and important, how pathetic.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I remember a convention at which there were nine resolutions that got us all fired up and emotional, standing and passionately confirming our commitment with a big loud 'Yes!'

Something similar happened at the DC last year, and I'd taken Mr F to expose him to what happens there. It was so embarassing we had to leave.

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

That's what I thought too, Sass. Today at the firefighter convention if the "Aye's" shouted out from the convention floor sounded pretty equal to the "Nay's", the chairman would then call for a standind roll call. Imagine if enough witnesses shouted "NO!" to the resolutions at the DC, would the speaker still say the resolutions were "adopted". It's ridiculous - they think they are a united democratic theocracy but are actually a totalitarian cult! It makes the head spin.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

We NEED to get an apostafest in a convention city and go to the convention scatter throughout the building and all shout NAY to resolutions it would be awesome!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

What about worship - I wish they JW's knew what that word really meant.

• greendawn
    greendawn

In the days of Russell there was some democracy but then Rutherford came along and under the pretext of theocracy imposed a dictatorial regime over the JWs did away with all the locally elected elders and imposed his own men on the congregations. According to the apostle Paul they must all speak in one voice, that must be the dictators' favourite verse.

So all these delegates and resolutions are nothing but the henchmen and wishes of the FDS who is in practice the GB and not the 8000 anointed.

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

Are there any resolutions this year?

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

It has been reported by some that there is a resolution, but it's also been questioned as to it's credibility.

You can check out the post here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/115070/1.ashx

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit