Why do elders talk to me and smile, and ordinary JW's shun me?

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

If I meet an ordinary JW, most of them will shun me.

But

If I meet an elder, they will look at me, talk to me, smile and make me feel as if I'M still a brother in good standings.

Who's in charge here the elders or the ordinary little JW people?

• JH
    JH

For those who don't know, I'm inactive since decades.....

• parakeet
    parakeet

I've been inactive for almost 30 years, and it's a toss-up who will snub me and who won't. I can never figure it out. The only reason I can think of that makes any sense, however twisted, is that the elders may believe they can talk to you as a prelude to "bringing you back in" but the r&f don't have the necessary "spiritual safeguards" to talk to a possible apostate like you.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I noticed the same thing when I was first being shunned in 1992. I actually noticed another interesting feature. Within a few weeks, I ran across two Witnesses I know sitting alone in restaurants. I waited until the waitress brought them their food and then I went over and sat down at their tables.

The non elder wouldn't eat as long as I sat there but he was cordial and visited. I made sure his meat loaf special was cold before I rejoined my group.

I saw the elder at breakfast and just as his food arrived, so did I. But, the elder ate as soon as his food came. He also visited and was cordial.

The most likely to snub me was my own relatives. Second most likely to snub me was the publisher class, and the least likely to snub me was the elder class. One elder did urinate on himself and he actually ran away from me in the mall one day. I thought that was extremely rude.

• geevee
    geevee

The ordinary dubs cant count their time, the elders probably see it as on opportunity to be seen to be helping you, and they have their meters running...you are helping them with their report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Reminds me of an experience I had 20 years ago. Gather 'round the old campfire, kiddies, and I'll tell ye a tale!

I had faded and was totally shunned by my large JW family, especially when it came out that it was due to my disbelief of WT. Somehow I managed to avoid being DF'd, mostly by just lying to the judicial committee. Well, my JW grandmother died and I went to the "service" at the KH. It was loaded with my JW aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., all of whom I had been very close to growing up. It was spring in Santa Barbara, but you'd have thought I'd stepped onto the frozen tundra! The sneers and cold shoulders! It was like running a gauntlet in Siberia! Then, one of the elders, who had always been a pretty sweet guy, greeted me warmly and led me over to sit with him and his wife. He well knew my story, but treated me decently anyway. I'm sure my family members were seething!

That was the last time I was in that or any KH - until about six weeks ago. Another strange tale for another time.

But - I agree that it is odd how witnesses are inconsistent in applying shunning - perhaps the elders have more latitude because they have more power.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

geevee you probably have it right..TIME is everything!

• juni
    juni
    the elders may believe they can talk to you as a prelude to "bringing you back in" but the r&f don't have the necessary "spiritual safeguards" to talk to a possible apostate like you. WISE WORDS OF PARAKEET

I agree with you.

Juni

• luna2
    luna2

The elders think you are fine Ministerial Servant material, JH. They want you back so you can do all of the grunt work that they are tired of handling themselves.

• loosie
    loosie
    The non elder wouldn't eat as long as I sat there but he was cordial and visited. I made sure his meat loaf special was cold before I rejoined my group.

You crack me up Gary

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit