Whats up with Witnesses being allowed to VOTE now?

by runningrussianboy 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry
    The November 15, 1950, issue of The Watchtower, on pages 445 and 446, said: "Where Caesar makes it compulsory for citizens to vote . . . [Witnesses] can go to the polls and enter the voting booths. It is here that they are called upon to mark the ballot or write in what they stand for. The voters do what they will with their ballots. So here in the presence of God is where his witnesses must act in harmony with his commandments and in accordance with their faith. It is not our responsibility to instruct them what to do with the ballot."

What if a Christian woman’s unbelieving husband insists that she present herself to vote? Well, she is subject to her husband, just as Christians are subject to the superior authorities. (Ephesians 5:22; 1 Peter 2:13-17) If she obeys her husband and goes to the polling booth, that is her personal decision. No one should criticize her.—Compare Romans 14:4.

What could be more clear?

Rather than giving the flock of sheep food at the proper time the Faithful and Discreet Slave create a vacuum into which their mind is sucked which leads to behavior that misleads others into thinkng a true Jehovah's Witness goes along to get along.

How is this different from duplicity?

Maybe Jesus pretended to be dead after all.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

They did nothing to change this, they just toned down their language about it to make it seem like it was more of a personal choice instead of a command from a religious authority.
    But really, every good Witness knows what to do!
    They tell you "this is your personal decision" and then at the same time say that if you don't come to the same personal decision as thme you are 'spiritualy weak' and need discipline. What freeness of choice.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Don't kid yourself; if they find out you voted, you will be announced as no longer being a witness.

This article most likely was written by Gene Smalley, the best at talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Check the QFR about working in churches, I think the same year. You could either excuse someone with that article, or DF them.

MINDF**K.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Well, I recently decided to call their bluff on that. I read that article, decided it was saying voting was a conscience matter, and registered. I will be voting in the next elections to come my way.
    We'll see if they really meant it.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Witnesses I know think it's wrong for a Witness to vote in an election. They might not be disassociated if they vote (because THAT might make a good court case), but if the sin of voting is known, they most likely won't qualify for positions of service. Those positions are reserved for those who are able to DEMONSTRATE by word and deed an unmistakable loyalty to the group leaders.

Voting would be seen as a sin . . . and that member is not seen as a pure member. Interestingly, they don't currently view jury duty in the same light. Now the distinction for a privilege holding Witness to sit on a jury seems to be any case not a capitol murder case is okay.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Well I guess I'll be okay then, Gary, since I have not held "congregational priveleges" for many years, nor do I have any desire to do so. Ever.

• LDH
    LDH

What happened is, the JW are trying to get 'recognized' in more European countries. However, it does not go over very well that their members do not have the consitutional privilege of voting.

So there was a Kingdom Ministry (in addition to the WT already cited) that specifically stated that VOTING IS A CONSCIENCE MATTER. Therefore, they can use these articles to demonstrate to the UN and to other governmental authorities that they do not penalize members who vote.

Lisa

• runningrussianboy
    runningrussianboy

Does anyone remember how to spell hypocrite?

• runningrussianboy
    runningrussianboy

Does anyone remember how to spell hypocrite?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit