The Best I've Heard Yet

by Gordy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Gordy
    Gordy

Tonight I had a call from one of my daughters (16) who is not a JW.

She wanted to borrow some money.
    So she could go and attend a funeral.
    She needs to get a taxi there.

She had asked her mother but she had refused to loan her the money.

Why?

Because the funeral was being held in a church.
    Therefore by loaning the daughter the money to go,
    she would be condoning attendance of a church, of false religion.

I'm used to some perculiar JW reasoning
    But I just can't get my head round the thinking behind that one.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Just curious...doesn't she know ANYone who is going to be there, who could give her a ride?

• juni
    juni

Heh Gordy -

Here's a story that happened in our cong. : A couple would not attend her father's funeral because it would be going into a church. The relatives were very upset especially her siblings. They said, "Is your faith so weak that you can't attend a church for your Father's funeral?"

Now wasn't that good reasoning? It is true! But they didn't go anyway.

Juni

• amused
    amused

Yes, the boogie man will get them if they walk into a church. When my father, who was never a witness, died in 1983, I had to arrange for two funeral services. First a memorial service at the funeral parlor so that all my mothers witness friends and relatives could attend. Than a funeral at the church my father attended. My mother refused to attend the church service. My wife and I did, to her consternation. People must have thought we were really strange. Indeed we were.

• poodlehead
    poodlehead

Oh this is nothing new. As a matter of fact my ex-husband tried to stop my son 14 from being in my wedding because of the same reason. Even though it was not in a church, he had the balls to ask if there would be praying. I wanted to tell him, we would only be praying for the JW's. But I bit my tounge. My son did come and it really pissed him off.

What pissed me off was they reconized the location of the wedding site. Now a garden club with a wedding hall and gazebo. But at one time it was a Kingdom Hall. Sometimes you just can't win.

• Highlander
    Highlander

But at one time it was a Kingdom Hall. Sometimes you just can't win.

haha, you got married in a kingdom hall! sort of...

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Not meaning to try to top your story, but I think I can...

About 15 years ago my father's father (non-jw) died and I decided to fly back east to be with family. (I hadn't decided if I would attend the actual funeral - because I was an active witness - but I knew I wanted to be there.) I needed a ride to the airport. My mother LIVES to drive people the airport. Anybody. Any reason. Anytime.

But not for me. No. She just didn't want to take me.

When I asked 'please' and 'why?' her response was: "Why do you even need to go back there? It's not like you can actually do anything for him. He's dead, Denise. Dead. There's no reason for you to go."

In my entire life, in and out of the organization, noone besides my mother has ever asked me why I wanted to go to any funeral or memorial service. And certainly noone questions when it's a grandparent.

Crazy people, they are.

-Denise.

• Gordy
    Gordy
    Just curious...doesn't she know ANYone who is going to be there, who could give her a ride?

Thats another daft part about it she is not exactly getting the taxi to the church. But to the friends house, from there in a funeral car to the church.

• eddie c
    eddie c

Many years ago my father took seriously ill.It looked as though he might not make it. I remember sitting with my mother in the hospital and she asked me if i would attend my fathers funeral should he die.You see,my parents were Roman Catholics and i was a robotic Witness.

I still cant believe that i looked her in the eye and said that there was no way i would go into a catholic church.She burst into tears as she could not understand how i could be so cold hearted. It gives me the creeps thinking about it now.

Anyway my dad did not die and when he did pass away many years later, i had,by then, been set free fom Watchtower bondage. I was asked to speak at his funeral and was proud to do so. Same with my mothers funeral.

Hi Gordy,see you in the other place.

• Undecided
    Undecided

When my no-JW grandma died she had her funeral in a church and my mother(her daughter) my aunt and I attended. I was the PO at the time and my mother and aunt were special pioneers. No one questioned us about it in the congregation. My brother also attended who was an elder also. I also took pictures of wedings in churches.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit