Any Tricks or Tips for getting around on crutches??

by AudeSapere 26 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

MsMcDucket - A shower chair!! Yes. That would definitely help me feel more human. Or at least clean. I opted for the removable braces so that I could bathe. But I cannot put any weight on my knee so that makes showering impossible - unless I get a shower chair. Beautiful suggestion. Thank you. (and the people who come within 12 feet of me thank you, too!)

Any more suggestions out there?

Or just a few more 'Poor Baby' comments???

-Aude.

• bythesea
    bythesea

Oh you poor thing, I do feel for your situation! I spent 1 1/2 yrs in assorted casts and on crutches after a car accident...it was the pits, but for even short term inconvenience its no fun either! Many good ideas already thrown your way...I would add that with a 2 story house(I lived in an upstairs apt so had a flight of stairs to deal with regularly) to always remember that the bad foot goes down first and when going upstairs always lead with the good foot(kind of the good goes up, bad goes down...heaven/hell theory!). When possible only use one crutch on stairs and use the handrail if one is available...you will keep your balance better!

I got a shower chair and used it in the tub with a handheld shower so I could control where the water went better...plastic wrap and garbage bags were my best friends! Much easier to do the hair washing this way too!

If you're gonna be at this for awhile you might ask your Dr if you can switch over to a walker at home...if so then you can put one of those baskets on the front of it(yes, like the little grannys do at the nursing homes!) and be able to carry things from room to room with you. When it comes to cooking, just don't try and carry hot food in your hand and use crutches at the same time..a recipe for pain if there ever was one!

If I can recall anything else that hasn't been suggested already I'll add it on as it comes to me! Hang in there! Its not fun, but once you figure these things out it becomes much less a dilemna and can even be a great conversation starter(?!) at the markets! I made up great stories after the first year on crutches...the truth got very boring!! (not THAT truth!) Good luck! (((Aude))) bythesea

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

perhaps the only thing i can add to all these suggestions is to try to use a cane. it is different but it frees up one hand. it has been a long time but i remember that moving from crutches to a cane was definately progress. and they are great for teaching young whippersnappers who has the right of way in the cookie aisle. a cane and a motorized chair could make you the queen of the supermarket.

j2s

• serendipity
    serendipity

((( Aude ))) Poor baby!

• Fleur
    Fleur
    Now that I'm home I notice that I am trying to be normal. Thanks for the advice - I need to give up 'normal' and be more realistic for the next couple of months.

Any chance you can stay with your brother a bit longer???

I'm serious, it's dangerous for someone who is so injured the can barely make it up and down from the potty safely to be alone. I have twice injured one knee (torn ligaments) and opposite ankle (sprain/fracture/tears) usually from falling down stairs and there were times I absolutely could not get to and from the bathroom without help.

Getting in and out of a wheelchair can be tricky esp. depending on your pain level. Sometimes, you try so hard not to feel or cause new pain in the injury that you injure other parts of yourself by falling or losing your balance. Also, be very careful of getting your cast wet; if the plastic leaks or drips you can get cast rot...and you do NOT want your cast to rot.

I'm amazed...no medical folks around here to offer ideas? Is there a nurse in the house??

They also make those 'dry' shampoos and bath wipes for people who have difficulty bathing...those might be of help to you right now. I recommend that you look around online like at drugstore.com or something to see what's out there.

I'll comment on dining options in the snacks thread! :) Hang in there kiddo...it sux but you will overcome!

hugs

essie

p.s. auld...sad to say we apparently do share a lot of experience in this type of thing! But at least we're living proof you can survive it eh? :D

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

bythesea - 18 months you spent on crutches and such?? YIKES!! You poor thing! I hope you've healed well and strong. I'm only 5 days into what looks to be a 6-7 week ordeal. I can't imagine 18months. Bad foot down; Good foot up. Thanks. I'll remember that when I get brave enough to attempt ascent/descent on my own. I'm afraid I might lose my balance. Living alone means it could get real ugly real quick. Did you feel stable while using crutches on the stairs? Using the handrail sounds like a good idea but how to get the other crutch down or up? I guess just push or slide it as far as I can. I may try that tomorrow when I'm more rested.

I don't think a walker is appropriate for me at this time since I need to be complete non-weight-bearing right now. Doctor said: "OK to step on the egg - but don't break the egg" meaing, ok to touch the ground but don't leave much of a footprint. With the walker, I would need to put weight and my knee would not support me at this time.

Thanks for the ideas and personal experience(s). I'm sorry you had all that trouble but I'm thankful that you shared with me so I can learn from a couple of painful mistakes.

Just2sheep - Once my knee can support me, I will ask about a cane - or even just drop down to one crutch. In the meantime, it's tough hopping on the crutches and trying to carry anything at all.

Serendipity - !! Oh goodie!! Another 'Poor Baby'. Thanks. I used to have some friends (jw's) that would refer to events as 'two-' or 'four-Poor Baby' days. Today is definitely a *five* 'Poor Baby' day. (Five 'PoorBaby's' to help make it better) Thanks for helping me feel better...

-Aude.

• hubert
    hubert

Aud, Make sure you get a rugged pair of crutches, because you will throw them against the wall a few times.

I was on crutches for 3 weeks when I was a teenager, (torn cartillage in right knee), and threw them against the wall at least twice.

If you have an automatic transmission, you can still drive, as elsewhere says. Just practice in an empty parking lot for a while.

Get some rubber pads for the crutches, cause your under arms are gonna hurt some.

Also, don't lose your balance on stairs, and catch yourself with the crutches. I did that once, and damn near dislocated my shoulders. Both of them !!!

Use a railing, and use both crutches under one arm, for going down stairs.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and hope you heal quickly.

Hubert

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

My wife broke her foot 8 months into her first pregnancy. The ER gave her crutches but 10 seconds into the maneuver and it was clear they would never be used. Thankfully my back was quite a bit stronger in those days!

Bless your heart Aude, I've never broken anything so I've no useful advice except for go slow, be careful on the toilet and never use the crutches on stairs.

Chris

• bythesea
    bythesea

AUDE....I hope you added my "you poor thing" to your "poor baby" list!! I think it should count towards your needed 5 for today!!

I'm curious, didn't they give you instructions for the crutches before you left the Dr office , ER room or wherever you went? Especially for dealing with stairs, it is always tricky and can be so dangerous, as others have pointed out! Not only do I have 1 1/2 yrs of personal experience with being on crutches, but I am a CNA and have helped others in knowing how to get around with ambulatory equipment... To answer your question about using the crutches on stairs...

Yes, you do need to kind of feel your way up and down the stairs...when going down always put the crutches down on the lower step first, then your good foot, then your bad one. Just the opposite when going up...the good foot goes up first, then your crutches, lastly the bad foot comes up. GO....VERY...SLOWLY!!!! If you have the handrail, as we talked about previously, then use the one crutch on the bad side to hold that weight off the knee & foot and go about ascending and descending as I described above. Its tricky sounding, and don't get cocky even after a few successful attempts at it, its still dangerous!

The reason I mentioned the walker to you is that they are adjustable in height and if you set one up so that it was low enough then you can take the weight entirely off your one leg...its just more a hopping maneuver with the good leg than with the crutches. What kind do you have? The old fashioned wooden ones? I hope not, they are so awkward! The newer style of metal ones, with the hand piece coming out at an angle are more ergonomically correct and comfortable... I got so I could make some good time up and down the stairs and grocery aisles with them! But whichever you are chained to for the duration I hope you are careful!

Is there a girlfiriend(or boyfriend?) who can come stay for this first few days to kind of oversee things, lend a hand and make sure you are not going to kill yourself...can you bribe someone with a case of beer or guest passes to the movies or something?? I wish I were close so I could help you out...I soooo remember how difficult it was even getting dressed in the morning! Let me know if there's anything else you need info on...PM me if you want! Hugs to you!! Bythesea

• Odrade
    Odrade

Take care of your underarms! :( bummer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit