Its getting dull

by KW13 13 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

I can't help thinking now that without any predictions for the end, the bad history of the society and the things its done in peoples lives, which will surely continue without it radically changing and become like every other religion (which wont happen) that the society is going to just keep shrinking.

Firstly, the internet is an effective means of getting the REAL truth out at people. The society have tried to stop the witnesses having the independent spirit e.t.c All this must be getting very boring and making the average dub tired and if not, its sure to.

I spoke to my mum and i made the point that there is no real joy at the Kingdom Hall or any means to express it.

She said "Well, people are under a lot of stress" and i noted how concerned she looked about that.

Your thoughts?

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Well, it's just plain a miserable way of life, isn't it? When I was growing up in the Dubs, in the seventies and eighties, it was joyless and bleak. And that was back when they still allowed picnics, potlucks at rented halls, house parties, roller skating, etc. Now, they aren't even permitted those small harmless diversions. I don't know how they keep their sanity!

There is so much more to do now, fun to be had, like video games, DVD's to rent, i-pods, internet surfing and shopping, but it's all bad, bad, bad. Do they think the R&F is so stupid they can't use good judgement? They're slowly killing the joie de vive of the members, and all the No! No! will surely cause a revolt. People have the sense to know it won't hurt them to do some of these forbidden things, and they will see how unfounded in scripture these Crooklyn rules are.

Just like an overly strict parent who says "No" all the time, they make their "kids" want to go out and try it. When they see it didn't hurt them, they now know they were misled. They begin doubting everything else.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I do believe that Vergochick makes some very good points.

History tells us that if you oppress people long enough, they will eventually revolt and destroy the oppressor. I pray that day occurs in my lifetime.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

A case in point is my Mother's friend, "A." Despite the dire warnings about staying off the internet, she shops on ebay. Her hobby is precious gemstones and moderately priced jewelry. Her husband, D.", an elder, enjoys bidding on semi-precious tie tacks, to wear at the Hall, of course. Has any of this hurt them? Of course not! Now, Mom wants a laptop too. But what are the elder and elderette deep down thinking about the warnings of doom if they go on the web? Why, nothing happened! There are no demunz in the attic, and they suffered no harm.

What else did the Dubs make out to be harmful, that's just silliness? Once this starts unraveling, will it stop? Are they telling themselves, "Oh, they're always telling us not to do this or that, but it won't hurt you!" Soon, they might start having some enjoyment in life. Will they ever be the same?

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

The great thing about the internet is that it allows anonymity. Prior to having internet access, if you had even the slightest criticism about the GB, or anything else to do with the org, you had to know who your friends were, or risk being turned in. It's only a matter of time before the R & F get tired of waiting for "new light" to make sense of all these repetitive wacknut teachings and start doing a little research on the web from the safety of their own home.

FBF

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings KW13,

:I spoke to my mum and i made the point that there is no real joy at the Kingdom Hall or any means to express it. She said "Well, people are under a lot of stress" and i noted how concerned she looked about that. Your thoughts?

My wifes mom, (A dedicated dub) has made the same types of comments in attempting to make sense of, and defend what is happening within the confines of dubdom.

It's more of the same, cognitive dissonance.

cognitive dissonance
    noun
    contradictory mental state: a state of psychological conflict or anxiety resulting from a contradiction between a person's simultaneously held beliefs or attitudes

Microsoft® Encarta® 2006. © 1993-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Dismembered

• KW13
    KW13
    Well, it's just plain a miserable way of life, isn't it? When I was growing up in the Dubs, in the seventies and eighties, it was joyless and bleak. And that was back when they still allowed picnics, potlucks at rented halls, ; house parties, roller skating, etc. Now, they aren't even permitted those small harmless diversions. I don't ;know how they keep their sanity!
    i think Virgochik that they sometimes get so deep in 'dubdom' that they forget what real life is...
    What else did the Dubs make out to be harmful, that's just silliness? Once this starts unraveling, will it stop? Are they telling themselves, "Oh, they're always telling us not to do this or that, but it won't hurt you!" ;Soon, they might start having some enjoyment in life. Will they ever be the same?

its been a long list of things over time, and each time as far as i know they've secretly changed their minds (the aluminum thing).

History tells us that if you oppress people long enough, they will eventually revolt and destroy the oppressor. ; I pray that day occurs in my lifetime. ;

That would be nice to see, but i dont know how long before that happens - Everything has an ending at some point...can't wait for the Society to have their turn.

The great thing about the internet is that it allows anonymity. Prior to having internet access, if you had even the slightest criticism about the GB, or anything else to do with the org, you had to know who your friends were, or risk being turned in. It's only a matter of time before the R & F get tired of waiting for "new light" to make sense of all these repetitive wacknut teachings and start doing a little research on the web from the safety of their own home.

Yeh, its nice being able to choose privacy if ya want it. Nevermind the Society saying "its apostates making it up", there will be a point when even the most stupid JW will be unable to deny some of the facts that exist, the sad thing is they believe they are right and that were either evil or were foolish and fell in a trap, how ironic since its them in the trap.

My wifes mom, (A dedicated dub) has made the same types of comments in attempting to make sense of, and defend what is happening within the confines of dubdom.

haha, yeh i can imagine! funny thing is, if we said something that weak/lame in an argument they'd be on it right away, try explaining it to a dub

contradictory mental state: a state of psychological conflict or anxiety resulting from a contradiction between a person's simultaneously held beliefs or attitudes
    Describes what a witness faces everyday!
  • delilah
    delilah

She said "Well, people are under a lot of stress"

KW, my mom says the same thing, only she goes on to say, that Satan is working EXTREMELY hard now, on the Witnesses, as he wants to drag them away from Jah. He doesn't need the "world", he already has them.

Life in witnessdom, is very strict, and boring. They keep tightening the ropes, and not allowing any sort of "freedoms". The Kingdom Hall looks more like a workcamp, than a refuge, if you ask me, but that's just my 2cents. It's little wonder, that people are tiring out and leaving in droves.

It IS boring and dull. I thought that God created people to ENJOY life, and have a little fun along with hard work. Now, it seems, the WTBTS just wants everyone to work harder in the ministry, with no play.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I spoke to my mum and i made the point that there is no real joy at the Kingdom Hall or any means to express it.

She said "Well, people are under a lot of stress" and i noted how concerned she looked about that.

Her look of concern is the thin edge of the wedge Karl....well done with an excellent point well made!

DB74

• KW13
    KW13
    Life in witnessdom, is very strict, and boring. They keep tightening the ropes, and not allowing any sort of "freedoms". The Kingdom Hall looks more like a workcamp, than a refuge, if you ask me, but that's just my 2cents. It's little wonder, that people are tiring out and leaving in droves.

It IS boring and dull. I thought that God created people to ENJOY life, and have a little fun along with hard work. Now, it seems, the WTBTS just wants everyone to work harder in the ministry, with no play.

I agree, the average dub life is 80% study and 10% meetings and 10% ministry. very sad.

Her look of concern is the thin edge of the wedge Karl....well done with an excellent point well made!

DB74

thanks. hopefully (one day) she'll come to accept the real truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit