A little of my story; by request

by Fleur 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fleur
    Fleur

some folks have asked me to tell a bit more about myself for those who weren't around the forum back when I had my old website, etc. I can't dig out all the old posts and the whole story...it's too painful right now and I can't revisit it for my sanity's sake. But hopefully...eventually. I also have to still be careful because my ex is still somewhat unpredictable, and I have to guard my identity and my child's as best I can.

If this looks familiar it's because it is also on the battered lambs section of the silentlambs site. I hope the formatting works okay.

Hope that it helps somebody. I wrote this years ago now...and I will add an update to the end.

essie

----------------------------------------------

I've thought a great deal about my old life in the past 24 hours.

During the resultant anxious hours and restless night, I had so many random thoughts running through my head. I had to sit down and just let the words tumble out onto paper. This is what I wrote, without even thinking:

"broken screams
    caught inside my throat
    they never make it out of my mouth
    as his hot breath crowds my senses

'you belong to me,' he says
    sliding slimy hands over my crawling skin
    get away, go away, leave me alone
    but the words can't escape
    because I am so numb. "

I'll start my story by saying in all honesty that ex husband never beat me. I know that I am far more fortunate than many, many others in that respect. I'll add that I do not consider myself an abuse 'victim'. I am an abuse survivor.

Physical bruises used to be my only definition of mistreatment. I believed that if I wasn't black and blue, I didn't have the right to feel or say that I was being abused. I find it interesting now to read how the dictionary defines abuse:

"a·buse
    tr.v. a·bused, a·bus·ing, a·bus·es
    To use wrongly or improperly; misuse: abuse alcohol; abuse a privilege.
    To hurt or injure by maltreatment; ill-use.
    To force sexual activity on; rape or molest.
    To assail with contemptuous, coarse, or insulting words; revile.

n.
    Improper use or handling; misuse: abuse of authority; drug abuse.
    Physical maltreatment: spousal abuse.
    Sexual abuse.
    An unjust or wrongful practice: a government that commits abuses against its
    citizens.
    Insulting or coarse language: verbal abuse. "

I do not bear physical scars from his hands. The question of whether physical illnesses that I suffer now were brought on by years of stress (from the things he subjected me to) is still debated by my doctors. Eventually, the body pays a price for years spent living in a constant state of panic.

I was raised in "The Truth" and so had this fairy tale idea that most Witness men loved their wives "as they love themselves". Mistreating their wives was something that only "worldly" men did.

I'd told him from day one of our relationship that if I were ever with a man who hit me, I'd leave him, no second chances. I believe that my ex also feared my father, who is a man nearly equal in size and greater in strength than he. His technique was stealth; his weapons of choice were words, physical intimidation, sexual coercion and the threat of physical violence that was always there, barely beneath the surface. He started with the mental manipulation early, while we were dating. I was totally inexperienced. By that I mean that I'd been so sequestered from the opposite sex before we dated that I'd never even been kissed.

Suddenly, I found myself fighting off Mr. Busy Hands every time we were alone for a moment. I didn't feel I had the right to do anything about it, or to tell him to stop. Besides, he was a Ministerial Servant, and I was just a publisher. Surely he wouldn't do anything that wasn't okay, would he? He loved me, he wouldn't want to hurt my relationship with God, would he?

After we were married and I learned more about sex, I did some research in old Watchtower bound volumes. I read articles that had been published the year after my birth but were still being referenced as the latest material on the subject. I realized we'd 'gone too far' (by Watchtower definition) by engaging in 'petting' before marriage.

I showed my husband the article and said we needed to talk to the elders. He was enraged. He insisted that we didn't need to tell anyone, that it was 'okay'. When I finally told him that I couldn't live with my conscience and was going to talk to them, he finally acquiesced. We were privately reproved, and though our families (to this day!) had no knowledge of this, I suffered from crippling depression and extreme guilt that tormented me. I felt so dirty, guilty, unworthy that I decided I must deserve anything my husband did to me.

So, he never had to beat me to get me to submit to him, because I was a mental prisoner already. The woman that I used to be believed that her body was not her own, and 'no' was a word that you never said to your mate when he wanted his due. After all, he was my 'husbandly owner' so I had no rights. He made a point of emphasizing the 'headship' arrangement and reminding me constantly of my 'place'.

I became suicidal, depressed and started developing health problems. I nearly developed an ulcer and lost a lot of weight. My 'worldly' coworkers started bringing me homemade bakery to work and leaving it on my desk, because they worried about me. I was a living skeleton. As time went on, his physical intimidation increased. He'd pin me against the wall by my arms, throw things, block the door so I couldn't leave if he was in a rage. He always stopped just short of hitting me, but the threat of physical violence was always hanging over my head. Of course there also were always the filthy names screamed at me for any and all reasons. He called me stupid and raged over things I had no control over.

One example is that he'd rage about the cost of groceries, when he had himself made the list of what he wanted me to cook for him. If I'd bump into something and get a bruise on my arm, he'd always look at it and say, "People are going to think that I beat you." I didn't think anything of it at the time but now I realize it showed just how worried he
    was about his reputation.

Later, (after my divorce) a longtime, non-JW acquaintance said to me "I always worried when I saw you apologizing to him for everything. You couldn't please him. I realized that if it was raining outside and he got wet that he'd blame it on you and you'd apologize for it."

Being verbally assaulted wasn't the thing that bothered me the most. From nearly the beginning of our marriage, he tried to coerce me into giving him oral sex. To a 'good' little JW girl who lives in mortal fear of the Great Day of Jehovah of Armies, you may as well just force her into becoming a prostitute. He badgered me, more and more angrily each time, for years. I kept refusing, citing Watchtower articles and telling him that at
    one time the act had even been a disfellowshipping offense. He didn't care. I begged him to let it go, telling him that I was only trying to please Jehovah. His response was, "Jehovah wants you to please your husband. He will not punish you for it."

He began constantly starting arguments and shouting at me, and whatever he claimed the issue was at the beginning, it always came down to his frustration at not getting his way in the bedroom. Eventually my resolve crumbled, because even though I "knew" that God would condemn me to die as immoral, I had no desire to live, so it didn't matter anymore. I suffered indescribable guilt, especially when he would tell me that I "wanted it as much as he did."

I never thought that his demanding sexual acts would be considered abuse at the time, he
    never beat me into unconsciousness and held me down and raped me. Again, I kept thinking that my body was not my own, that I had no right to 'deprive him' of his due.

My hands still shake when I remember the times I'd wake up with him all over me, and I feel sick to my stomach when I think back to the time when I did have to physically fight him off.

Our divorce was in process. I was already sleeping in another room of the house and had been for months. We were not living as man and wife and I had made it plain to him that I didn't want him near me. The only reason we shared the same house still was that I had nowhere to go with my baby and he refused to get out.

That night he began pawing at me, and I pushed him away. I told him no, and soon he had me pinned against the wall. He's a big man. I was afraid, I wanted him to stop but I didn't think that I could overpower him. Then all of a sudden I got really angry. I looked into his eyes and said, "You don't care that I don't want this do you?" His eyes reflected pure anger. It was clear that the only reason he wanted me was because I didn't want him. He had me by the wrists, and finally I said to him "If you do this, you will never see your child again." He thought about it a good long moment before he finally let me go. He knew that I was serious, and I guess he decided that it wasn't worth it. He let
    go and stormed out of the house. I went out and got a birth control injection as soon as possible, to be sure he couldn't get me pregnant if he tried it again.

Fortunately, he didn't.

My family doesn't know any of this. They do not know of the perverted fetishes (and I'm not talking about oral sex here) that I put up for nearly seven years trying to be a 'good Christian wife', things that I will take with me to my grave.

My family and those who used to be my friends still think that I'm the 'bad' one because I 'left him' and 'left the Truth.' My sister, who is the only member of my family who knows any small bit of what I went through, is livid that I've never 'told the elders' about it. She thinks they would have disfellowshipped him and not me. She is so incredibly naive. I had no desire to add public humiliation to my lot in life, and knew that talking to
    the elders wouldn't do one damn bit of good.

I had already tried talking to them about him at several points. I asked my husband to go to marriage counseling with me and he sent me instead: he said that I was crazy. My psychiatrist only knew of his control issues (not letting me have the checkbook, keeping me in the house all day with the baby while he worked/went to the bar/went out with friends, telling me how to dress, how to wear my hair, how much I should weigh) and she told me that it wasn't me who had problems. She warned me that if I allowed him to mistreat me that way that I would, eventually, lose my mind.

I made a last attempt to beg the elders to help control him. I left all sexual matters out of the discussion, and told them about the verbal abuse, etc. They told him that he should control himself. Then they told me that he was depressed and so was I and that I had to be patient with him. They read me a scripture about Job's wife, believe it or not. Then they left. And my ex only got worse.

I knew that the organization wasn't going to help me, my father in law was the PO of our congregation and therefore my ex had carte blanche to do as he pleased. I realized that it was up to me to get myself out of the situation. It wasn't easy, but I did it. If I can do it, anyone can.

Many have stories like this, most are much worse than mine. I'm speaking out now because women need to understand that abuse comes in many forms. Abuse crosses all religious and socio-economic lines. It's insidious because the abuser actually convinces the abused that they deserve what they get, otherwise they'd never put up with it.

My ex husband used to often say to me, "Do you think anyone will treat you better than I do?" Finally, the day came when I did believe it, and it did happen. I remember when I first confided to my second husband (then fiancé) about what had happened to me and why I was so untrusting of men, he said something to me that I will never forget: "In our marriage, you'll know that you always have the right to say no. My hope is that you'll feel safe and you won't ever want to."

I have always felt safe with him. It's a different world. He has never been anything but gentle, kind and loving to me, and I've never been afraid, or wanted to say no. I'm finally safe and contented and feel peaceful in my own house. Which is just the way it should be.

Sometimes I still have flashbacks and nightmares. Sometimes, I still wonder if somehow, I wasn't to blame for all or at least part of what happened. I didn't fight hard enough, I gave in, so I must have wanted it too, that the message that my ex-husband drilled into my head over and over. Once in awhile the old thought processes kick in and for a split second, I again believe the lies he told me. In that moment I doubt whether I have the right to feel he ever abused me. But then I wake up, and put my arms around my new husband and think about the way he treats me, and compare that to my old life. When I do that, there is no doubt in my mind that I was an abused wife.

If you're being abused, please, get help. You can get out. Many of us have. I'm grateful every day that I did, and that now I have a real man in my life that has helped me to begin to heal my old wounds.

---------------------------------------------

I believe it was about five years ago I wrote that. To bring up to date: I am still married to my wonderful sweetheart, who treats me like gold and is such a good Dad to my daughter. My ex is still scary. But he has drifted some from the org, and my child rarely has to go to meetings anymore.

Best of all the child has a mind that can analyze and think and see life in a way that I never had the opportunity being raised in the "Truth". The world is open to my child. that alone is worth everything I have gone through.

Now, all but three or four members of my family shun me. Relatives who didn't in the beginning do now because some were threatened with action and loss of their positions if they didn't. This has been very hard on my child who has grieved for them as if they died. I don't understand how grown adults can just cut a child out of their life, especially when that child has never been baptized or had any say in anything going on around them.

I have up times and down times. Sometimes it's harder than others; I really have been on a rough patch since my grandmother's death since she was the mother of my heart. My own mother gets crazier by the day in her frenzy of it's "just around the corner" and is very angry I have no desire to get reinstated.

I was just re-reading my original complete history, written almost seven years ago. At the end I proclaimed that I still believed in God.

I don't now, not in the "tribal father figure" type of God (thanks James Thomas for that term) and I am okay with the fact that I just don't know, cause basically nobody else really does either. it's just about what you believe in. I believe that I am meant to try to live the best life I can and reach out to others as best I can, which I do through regular volunteer work in my own way.

I have another post to add to this: a poem I worked out recently after reading a link here to a JW forum where someone posted an absolutely ghastly 'poem' supposedly a story of a JW girl who married a Worldly Man *tm* and ended up getting beat, broke and ending up with her and her baby having AIDS. I wrote my own rebuttal to it. It slaughters the language but the points are clear, I hope.

I wonder if any forum directors could tell me if there would be a problem with me posting the original "work" of poetry that inspired the reply. There is no name on it so I don't know who wrote it. But it is a sight, believe me.

Thanks for reading. The moral of my story is: If you're being abused, get out. Do it carefully, get a plan, and BE CAREFUL. Remember these two words: SAFETY FIRST. Do what you have to do to get away safely. If I can do it, anybody can.

Essie

• under_believer
    under_believer

Essie, I read your story. I have no specific response to it; it's too emotionally raw and too far outside of my own experience for me to presume to comment. I have nothing but sympathy for your past difficulties and am glad that you are in a much better life position now.

• Brigid
    Brigid

(((((Essie)))))

You honor us by sharing so openly and honestly your story. You could have been any sister I knew while in the org. You could have been me (though my situation was far from that bad). I'm glad you're out and you found that place from rock bottom to the surface again.

Love and Light to you,

~Brigid

• Fleur
    Fleur

(((((Hugs)))))))

Brigid and underbeliever, thank you for your kind remarks.

It's not in this telling of my story, but I should add that I thought that the only way out of that marriage was going to be in a body bag. My ex had me so convinced I was evil that I actually thought toward the end that my child would be better off with someone else raising them.

I was getting my affairs in order and planning the details how I'd kill myself. The only reason I am still here is that my closest friend figured out how bad it had gotten and commented to a mutual friend (the man who would eventually become my second husband) that if he had any feelings for me he had better say something or he might not ever get the chance. He told me that I was worthwhile, that I deserved better, that there was a way out if I wanted it besides dying.

If he hadn't been there, I would not be here. He literally saved my life. I had no idea at the time that a couple years later we'd be married...and almost a decade after that, we'd still be so happy and so in love. I am truly blessed.

Well, I'm gonna post that JW forum poem here, and my response. I know if it needs to go, that the mods will delete it.

Please forgive my bad memory but I forget which lady on the forum posted the link to the forum where this originally appeared. It was in a thread called Bloom of Youth.

In this thread on a JW forum, a young man asked if it was really a sin to date a worldly person. Some 'helpful" JW posted this poem as a warning. again, I DID not write this thing!

------------------------------------------

I met him at work one day
    On my lunch break, I was about to pray
    We talked on and on and oh, he's such a gentleman
    I wished that moment would never end

But then reality brought forth, the end of my lunch hour
    As he arose, he stood as strong and tall as a tower
    We met again and again; our souls began to cling
    I've pondered, "Could this be the real thing?"

He doesn't smoke, drink or gamble money
    He doesn't take drugs and he's no else's honey
    Let's face it, he's fine and has a great bod
    The truth? Oh well, he doesn't serve Jehovah God
    For I know that he will change in time
    So that is why I shall make him mine

My friends tried to warn me. Did I listen? Did I care?
    Little did I know, my life would be one of despair
    The wedding went fine; the judge married us in fall
    You see, I couldn't have my wedding in a Kingdom Hall
    My dad? No, he didn't give me away
    With the pain in his heart, he didn't have much to say

Mom, can you hear me? Mom, why do you cry?
    Don't worry bout me, we'll do just fine
    I got a good man, who has a good job
    The only thing is, he doesn't serve God

Everything went fine, only recently at night
    When the meeting times come, we fuss and we fight
    "Who is this God, breaking us apart?
    Don't go tonight, follow your heart."
    So I listen, to keep the peace in my home
    But often times, I feel so alone
    Guess cause I don't associate much with the friends at all
    You see, I stopped going to the Kingdom Hall

Service? Oh, well that's history
    I just decorated my first holiday tree
    The holiday celebrations are now a part of my life
    I must obey my husband, for I am his wife

The brothers would call, I wouldn't answer the door
    I stopped reading the literature, it got to be a bore
    You see, marrying out of the Truth, gets one free
    Free from Jehovah's love that I once had within me

Oh blessed news, a little one to come
    I couldn't wait, had to hurry and tell my Hon
    He was in a bad mood, just lost his job that day
    He told me all this as he struck my face
    "I'm sorry, babe. Forgive me this time, please."
    I've heard these words more than once you see

Two jobs I have now, as I support my household
    My husband stays home-still out of work-it's getting old
    I'm tired a lot lately, and feeling kinda strange
    My schedule at both jobs, I've rearranged
    The baby is due anytime now
    Things will get better some way, some how
    For I married a man for better, or worse
    One who refuses to put Jehovah first

The baby came, so little and light
    It wasn't crying, something was not right
    What could it be, I wondered in bed
    Then came the Doctor, he just shook his head
    "Mrs. Unbeliever, there's something to confess
    You and the baby tested positive to the HIV test"
    Oh my!! What a death sentence to hear
    That the end of both of our lives is near

Listen to me, let me tell you to your face
    To marry an unbeliever is a total disgrace
    Jehovah, a loving father, who cares for his sheep
    So he set guidelines for us to hold and to keep
    Let me say this, just to set things straight
    He'll give you a nice brother a theocratic mate
    Cause there's nothing a worldly man has to offer at all
    But unhappiness, sorrow and a serious fall.

(1Cor. 7:39)

Hope that this post keeps us all alert and always Remember: Jehovah's way.... it's the BEST way!

Now, my rebuttal. Forgive the bad rhyming and uneven pattern. It just came tumbling out.

"Blessed" by Jehovah with a JW Mate: by esmeralda Born in the Truth, I was such a good girl , I always did what I was told I knew if I held out Jah would answer my prayer and bring me a husband from his sheeply fold. Baptized at the age of 12, modest bathing suit and all: Life meant study, prayer, service, and every meeting at the Hall. I ignored the boys at work who smiled and said that I was nice and pretty, sweet and funny, (taking the Society's advice) I did not date, had never been kissed ...kept hoping to find a mate though by "brothers" i was just dismissed I dressed up for each assembly, hoping I would find someone who would notice me, but most never paid me any mind. They may have looked, I realize, but their mothers watched so close and they'd get smacked into next Tuesday if they let their interest show. Then one sunny Saturday, in service out I went with my older sister; Pioneer; who introduced me to a gent He was a few years older than I, his father the PO I had no doubt that very soon to Bethel he would go But he decided instead to stay, to pioneer and serve, Became a Minsterial Servent and finally, he got up some nerve; realized one day he wanted sex, er, a wife and decided on that day to re-enter my life. I was quickly smitten, so young, so naive All of the lines he fed me, I so readily believed. We studied in the Family Book and had a chaperone though it bothered me how quick his hands moved whenever he got me alone. We married one fine Sunday, a day bright and clear in the local Kingdom Hall with all our family near He promised there to cherish me, to be my loving Christian head but in the end he turned out to be a big Christian ass instead; I supported us as he pretended to look for work he skipped his vocational training classes to watch tv, the big dumb jerk. He hit on both my sisters while at home, his morals were quite muddy; he yelled if I used cash for food, but expected to be fed like royalty without spending any money. His fetishes upset me much, the demands that he made telling me to be a spiritual wife, that I really should obey; this is not what I was told a Christian wife should be; he dressed me like a prostitute and my conscience bothered me; To no one did he answer, I answered to everyone I didn't feel right praying, because dirty I'd become I refused to give in on some things, and so for years we fought I showed him the Watchtowers, surely, this he'd too been taught! The more that I resisted the angrier he became when nothing I could do would please him, he began to call me filthy names. As time went on, oh yes, at last he got a job you see went to the bar every night after work and left me home with our baby on my knee He screamed, he bullied, he demanded he broke my spirit down he told me I was stupid, and crazy, and started pushing me around I begged the elders to help me, to make this abuse stop they said that I was like Job's wife, and if I complained, I deserved what I got Be a better wife and pray more, that is all they ever said but finally the day came when I decided to do something else instead. So weary I was of being abused, so tired of this life I decided I'd rather be dead than to ever continue being this man's wife. So I planned my execution, knowing he'd not cry every part of me believed that the only way out was to die. I began attending to the details and arranging my affairs; thought of writing a letter to my baby to let her know how very much I cared And then a worldy friend of mine, took me off aside and said I can see you falling, I'm afraid you want to die. I broke down and told him that I had given up all hope that life was just to horrible, and that I couldn't cope. I told him I was so worthless, surely he must see because my husband told me every day that no one else would ever possibly be as good to me as he I began to believe over all those years of restraint and abuse that when he held me down and demanded his way that I had no right to choose. My worldly friend said, oh, god no, none of this is true and if he treats you that way, then he has no right to you; I wondered for the first time if it wasn't all a lie that maybe I could find a better way, I didn't have to die. I got a job and got a plan and after awhile, I got away even though I lost my family because I didn't 'do things Jehovah's way.' When I told him the news that I would leave, he made his feelings very plain if I wanted to get out alive, I'd better leave him his 'good name'; that he expected to be seen as clean, I was a slut and whore I didn't care what it took, I just didn't want to be there anymore. I lost every friend I'd ever had, missed my family most of all they all went to my ex's wedding...he remarried in the Kingdom Hall. I found the truth about the truth soon after on the 'net and though it hurts for all I've lost, I know that I really did my best. I was abused, but I got free, and took my child away; she will never think that it's acceptable for any man to abuse her so that way; She will be free to choose a partner who will be kind to her through all; not only one who appears so good because his ass warms a seat at the Hall. She will know what to expect from men and to command the respect that she deserves and if any man will not treat her equally, she will kick him to the curb. Now many years have come and gone and I have a new life; the friend who shook me to my senses? Well, he asked me to be his wife. He treats me like a treasure won, a joy to hold and keep; Sometimes I still have nightmares; and they wake me from my sleep. And when I do, this 'worldly' man takes me in his arms whispers to me that I'm safe, that there is no need to fear harm. I am not in still in the dark place that nearly ended all my days; I'm married to my best friend now, for years, and in his "worldly" arms, I'm safe. ~essie

• Brigid
    Brigid

Essie,

You are incredible girl! Writing is so therapeutic, don't you think? You're good at it. This story needs to be read and re-read. You are a very strong person.

Still in love after 10 years? I didn't know that was possible LOL!

~B

• bebu
    bebu

WOW.

My worldly friend said, oh, god no, none of this is true and if he treats you that way, then he has no right to you; I wondered for the first time if it wasn't all a lie that maybe I could find a better way, I didn't have to die.

I loved your poem. These lines were the real highlight for me. Brought me chills. Thank you for writing and sharing. You have done many a great service by doing that. And your husband is a real hero!!!!!! bebu

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

Fleur:

I may not be able to identify with your circumstances (as a young, unmarried ex-JW male), but I cannot help but applaud you for the incredible guts & courage it must have taken for you to share this story.

Most, if not all of us, know or once knew of such cases of abuse or exploitation within the Organization (especially the tragic ones where the perpetrators carried on 'in good standing,' leaving the victims with wounds that time does not always heal). It was not until I first learned about Silentlambs about four years ago that I realized the full extent of what goes on 'behind closed doors.'

Hopefully by now you realize that you are in the right place for help & healing. I could certainly identify with the emotional & spiritual roller-coaster you described & feel very fortunate to be here.

Your Friend,

• Scully
    Scully

(((((( essie ))))))

• Fleur
    Fleur

Thank you everyone, and welcome Desert Rat!

I was around the board when Silentlambs founder Bill was just starting to post. We corresponded quite a bit back then and I respect him a lot. When he wrote to me and asked me to write a piece for the then brand new battered lambs page, I struggled with it. But I am glad I did because it's still up even though my own original website isn't there anymore and by going back today and reading it, as I near my 1000th post here (under this nickname anyway, am actually closer to 2000 with the other nicknames) I am really surprised even myself how far I've come.

Reading the whole history which I haven't posted in this thread and also the stuff at silentlambs is like reading a letter from someone I used to know. I am not that girl anymore, but I can still feel for her and I know there are so many like her.

I would've given anything at the time to know that I wasn't alone, so I don't consider it brave to post this, I consider it the only right thing...if it helps one person it's worth it.

I appreciate all the guys giving feedback, even though you might not be able to relate to my experience as a woman, your feedback is invaluable. In fact, I want to take this opportunity to thank all the men on this forum and others that have been instrumental in healing me by helping me realize just what "abuse" is and calling it what it is. I remember specifically one post by Avishai that really helped me long ago, where he just said "this was abuse, plain and simple." I needed to hear that, to be validated not just by other women but by guys too. So many guys here to thank I know I'd leave somebody out, but I have to mention all my "big brothers" like Cowboy and Uzzah and also JamesThomas who has taught me so much and gee...so many I don't know where to start.

I think you all know who you are :)

love,

essie

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Essie,

(((Hugs))), thank you for sharing your story, you are very courageous. Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit