Exaggeration on WT site?

by Broken Hearted 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Hearted
    Broken Hearted

This week while doing some more of my reseach, I went to the Official WT Site. I was just looking around in many areas, When I came upon this media release in 2003. So I read what they have typed then watch the video. something struck me odd so I read the page again and then re watched the video. The things that stuck out I have highlighted below. Here is link to the Page and see if you see same thing I do.

http://www.jw-media.org/vnr/4131637241/738163.htm

Jehovah's Witnesses

Stavropol Convention Disrupted and Canceled

On the morning of August 29, 2003, the annual three-day convention of Jehovah's Witnesses opened in Stavropol, Russia. Hundreds of families present for the peaceful convention were stunned to see police officers enter the stadium, force their way onto the stage, push the speaker aside, and order all in attendance to leave the premises. Entrances to the stadium were locked and arriving delegates were ordered to go home.

Okay upon watching the video, I never saw the police force their way anywhere they just walked up. no one was trying to stop or prevent them from that to have the police have force, Nor did I see the police push the speaker away from the podium. So my question here, is If they take and add words in like this to make this seem worse than it was , do they do this in your Watch Towers or other publications?

Now my next question, Should I bring this up to my JW friend?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The WT enjoys exaggerating things. It wants you to think that everyone who isn't a JW is an adulterer, a drug addict, has AIDS, and is into demon worship. When you go outside of the org and begin meeting people, you'll realize that these types of people are a rarity, and are not common like the WT wants you to believe.

This video description is just another example of that. The persecution of JWs isn't as horrible as they want you to believe.

• unique1
    unique1

They certainly didn't force their way anywhere. I guess she may gave given him a gentle hand to the arm push, but definitely nothing forceful. The police seemed very pleasant and respectful even when the brother put his hand up to shush her.

Is it just his mustache or does that brother have a permanent frown.

I wonder how many were glad to have an excuse to go home.

If you show it to your friend, do it in an isn't this curious kind of way not a look at how they exaggerate kind of way.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I like how the website says:
    "Video footage of previous violent mob attacks available to the media upon request. Contact the Office of Public Information, telephone: (718) 560-5600"
    Although the persecution of the Witnesses in Russia is quite unfair, I am not impressed as to how the WT uses such expierances as a way to bolster the idea that they alone have the 'truth' and are being persecuted for it. This exaggeration is a prime example, along with that Awake! cover article a while ago about religion in Russia.
    They never miss an oportunity to make themselves a maryter.

• kristyann
    kristyann

drew sagan, I agree completely. Most JWs seem to have a good case of martyr syndrome. They want everyone to think that they have it so much worse than they do. Sure, they are persecuted in some areas, and that's not good and I don't approve of it for any group. But they always try to make it sound like they are so much more persecuted than any other group when really they are only a minor blip on the radar.

• Zuko
    Zuko

Where was the speakers white shirt and jacket.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

It's the old 'us verses them' syndrome.
    It's a mindset actually quite common in democratic socities. Every battle, every stage of the political (or religious) 'organizations' history as seen as a determining factor in the battle of good verses evil. If we prevail, then all of humanity has been saved. If we fail we are doomed forever.
    I came across a description of this in an old book about Russia during the times of Lenin, Stalin and beyond. The description was of how the major western powers (mainly the U.S.) reacted to Russia and communism. I not only found it interesting because what was about that time is going on today in the United States (war on terror) but also how the same 'us verses them' arguments go on in other organizations, religious and political. The Watchtower isn't as original as it would like to be in my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit